ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Should Aaron Jones demand a trade??

FiliUTEP

MI Miner Maniac
Feb 1, 2010
Or hold out until he gets a new contract??

If i was his agent I would suggest to him to hold out until he gets a new deal. If packers didn't draft a RB in the 2nd round I wouldn't suggest he hold out. But now that they did I would take that personally.

Maybe Aaron Rodgers and Jones could demand a trade together. A packaged deal. Lol I could see it Aaron Rodgers and Jones traded to the Patriots.

Aaron won't be a Packer in 2021 and Rodgers also being shown the door. Jones is in the final year of his rookie contract. He should just play his game and get a nice contract as a 2021 free agent.

Aaron won't be a Packer in 2021 and Rodgers also being shown the door. Jones is in the final year of his rookie contract. He should just play his game and get a nice contract as a 2021 free agent.

and take the chance of getting hurt?? Not a smart move by Jones. Id sit out like Bell and wait for a deal. I would even sit out into the season and gamble that the run game struggles. Which probably will happen Aaron Jones was basically the whole offense last year.

No he shouldn't hold out just because of the 2nd round draft pick. AJ is a way different runner than that guy and AJ can catch. The guy that should be worried is Jamaal Williams.

No he shouldn't hold out just because of the 2nd round draft pick. AJ is a way different runner than that guy and AJ can catch. The guy that should be worried is Jamaal Williams.

If the RB was picked in 4th round or later Jamaal Williams should be worried. A RB drafted in 2nd round is different. Panthers wouldn't draft a RB in the 2nd round.

Reactions: minermx07
Its a tough debate. I can see why he might want to hold out, but he will be the starter in Green Bay. He will never be an every down back in Green Bay, but if Jones were to be 1000 yard rusher and receiver like McCaffrey then he could demand a ton of money on the open market next year. Green Bay is the best place for him to do it right now.

There are definitely pros and cons each way. You also have to consider his personality in his decision making too. I don't think he holds out, I think he shows out this year.

A second round draft pick is a big investment. You're saying, "we want you to be our RB".

It all depends on the market. If the Texans weren't idiots, they'd bite, but they already invested huge on a RB.

Steelers, Bills, Seahawks, Lions, Dolphins can use an upgrade at RB. I don't know if they invested on one during the draft.

NFL RBs have such a short shelf life it’s necessary to constantly draft new RBs. But at the end of the day this 2nd round draft pick isn’t established himself as a serviceable NFL RB so that’s working in Jones’ favor. Maybe GB feels they don’t want to give a RB a second contract because of the miles, but there will be a team that can and will pay that amount of cash.

Jones and Williams salary will each triple in their 4th year. Williams was drafted ahead of Jones. Who do you think leaves or gets cut 1st?

Dillon will complement Jones, not Williams

The Packers went to the playoffs. Yet they drafted like they're rebuilding.

I'm guessing they think they peaked.

So weird to me, they're replacing arguibly their best players instead of supplementing them.

Jones and Williams salary will each triple in their 4th year. Williams was drafted ahead of Jones. Who do you think leaves or gets cut 1st?

Dillon will complement Jones, not Williams
Triple? All rookies drafted after the third round in 2017 got 4-year contracts ranging between 2.4 and 2.9 million dollars total (not per year) differences only being bonuses are higher in order of 4th round on down. Where do you get that Williams and Jones' salaries are tripling this year?

Reactions: Autograph Boy
looks like Aaron Rodgers roster bonus drops by about 9 million in 2020 so they are saving there. The cap hit on the RBs will be the highest this year with their current group.

The Packers went to the playoffs. Yet they drafted like they're rebuilding.

I'm guessing they think they peaked.

So weird to me, they're replacing arguibly their best players instead of supplementing them.

Im not a Green Bay fun but don’t forget Aaron Rodgers is going to be 37 this year and he is under contract till 2023. On overthecap.com it says GB can cut him in 2022 for BIG savings. I know Rogers is the man but at the same time you have to face the reality that he’s not the future of this franchise and maybe the prudent thing to do is bring someone here that could sit for a year or two and you can assess if he’s got what it takes to take the starting job. If not, you just draft another because you’ve got another year or two if Rogers is still competing at a high level. But by then, he’ll be 40 and if you’re looking at QBs by then it will be way too late.

Plus don’t forget NE always made it a habit of drafting QBs high. Garoppolo was a 2nd round pick, Ryan Mallett was a 3rd, Kevin O’Donnel was a 3rd, Rohan Davey was a 4th. You’re crazy if you think a position is set for the foreseeable future.

Last edited:
Reactions: minermx07
Yes, the contract was backloaded for salary cap purposes. But the total amount of the contract is the same as it was when he signed as a rookie. In other words he's not getting a raise. This was already in the planned expenses for the Packers. They backload rookie contracts for salary cap and in case the player doesn't perform (and is cut) or has a career-ending injury before they reach the 4th year they pay as little as allowed by the CBA. The only guarantee is the bonuses.

Technically I give you the tripling claim, I'm just saying it isn't like they're giving him a raise. It's all cooked into the soup.

Reactions: axingfools1
Yes, the contract was backloaded for salary cap purposes. But the total amount of the contract is the same as it was when he signed as a rookie. In other words he's not getting a raise. This was already in the planned expenses for the Packers. They backload rookie contracts for salary cap and in case the player doesn't perform (and is cut) or has a career-ending injury before they reach the 4th year they pay as little as allowed by the CBA. The only guarantee is the bonuses.

Technically I give you the tripling claim, I'm just saying it isn't like they're giving him a raise. It's all cooked into the soup.
So is his average base salary the same each year or does it creep up each year? Based on what you are saying I guess he should make about 815k base salary this year then?

Totally agree. AJ is top back coming in when they are allowed to play.

So is his average base salary the same each year or does it creep up each year? Based on what you are saying I guess he should make about 815k base salary this year then?
Pretty much. All those numbers are creative accounting to manipulate the salary cap in the first three years of the contract.

The Packers are not paying AJ what he’s worth. Running backs have short shelf life in this league and AJ needs to maximize his earnings. Hope AJ gets a much better contract at the end on this season.

Reactions: UTEPMiners8106
The Packers are not paying AJ what he’s worth. Running backs have short shelf life in this league and AJ needs to maximize his earnings. Hope AJ gets a much better contract at the end on this season.
He will get paid by another team in 2021.

AJ makes average qb's look sensational. He's been doing that since high school. He can catch in open field and make a one yard gain into a first down, that's effiency and at thats why you get to be on a Sunday NFL roster. AJ ups offensive efficiency numbers.

Second, he doesn't do head jarring runs. He hits the seams and edges quickly and if its not there,, play another down. This helps maintain that "shelf life" because it lessens injuries and blows to the head and body.

As stated above, he's earning his money and memories and will get it in 2021.

Or hold out until he gets a new contract??

If i was his agent I would suggest to him to hold out until he gets a new deal. If packers didn't draft a RB in the 2nd round I wouldn't suggest he hold out. But now that they did I would take that personally.

Maybe Aaron Rodgers and Jones could demand a trade together. A packaged deal. Lol I could see it Aaron Rodgers and Jones traded to the Patriots.
Nah I think he should stay and wreck shop again, Jones was a 4th round pick, needs one more year to truly prove his worth and earn a good and secure second contract (i.e. get through a season without any major injuries) and hope he gets a sweet guaranteed FA deal, RB market is difficult as it is and might be loaded next off season, but he has a damn good agent and might be the best RB in the league with another strong season so you never know, he does have a lot of trade value if I was Green Bay....

Good topic and thread....+1

Because a performance metric is somehow factored into rookie contracts, Aaron's salary is going to more than triple for the upcoming final year of his contract. Then he will be a free agent and that will likely be his best(and possibly only) chance at a big pay day.

2017- $465,000 Age: 22
2018- $474,822 Age: 23
2019- $645,000 Age: 24
2020- $2,133,000 Age: 25
2021- Unrestricted Free Agent. Age: 26

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/aaron-jones-21924/

Because a performance metric is somehow factored into rookie contracts, Aaron's salary is going to more than triple for the upcoming final year of his contract. Then he will be a free agent and that will likely be his best(and possibly only) chance at a big pay day.

2017- $465,000 Age: 22
2018- $474,822 Age: 23
2019- $645,000 Age: 24
2020- $2,133,000 Age: 25
2021- Unrestricted Free Agent. Age: 26

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/aaron-jones-21924/
That's what I initially understood, but its not clear as to why the number jumped up on the base salary for year 4. The numbers don't add up to his initial contract value.

The NFL has some type of "salary escalator" for players who were drafted after the 3rd round, are playing more than 35% of their team's snaps, and are still in their rookie contract. Apparently Jones' pay bump in the final year of his rookie contract is due to this escalator, which is essentially rewarding him for outperforming his draft position. Here is a brief article about it:

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/20...aal-williams-earn-salary-escalators-for-2020/

This was his 1st year playing the whole season. If he played well again and stays healthy he'll get a good contract with the Packers or someone else.

i

Green Bay Packers

Running back Jamaal Williams

Packers fans haven't taken kindly to the team's draft, but they might find a silver lining in the decision to use a second-round pick on bruising running back AJ Dillon. Williams has been an ineffective change-of-pace back for his entire career and dragged down the Green Bay offense when he was on the field replacing Aaron Jones.

With both Jones and Williams in the final year of their respective deals, it seems likely that the Packers will go with Jones and Dillon as their running back rotation, leaving Williams as a possible special-teamer or candidate for release.

Per ESPN column
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29101985/32-nfl-players-most-likely-cut-traded-2020-nfl-draft

The only team I want to see him go to is Denver. Problem is we don’t need another running back.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT