ADVERTISEMENT

OT:Texas Tech medical school in EL Paso

FiliUTEP

MI Miner Maniac
Feb 1, 2010
Can they start sports there?? Or why doesn't Texas Tech play a home game in El Paso? Is there room for them to build an arena around there?? Or I'm sure the downtown Arena, Texas Tech could rent out some home games there?

Can they start sports there?? Or why doesn't Texas Tech play a home game in El Paso? Is there room for them to build an arena around there?? Or I'm sure the downtown Arena, Texas Tech could rent out some home games there?

I think if they ever considered adding sports it would be real small like D3 cross country or Golf.

This is beyond dumb - not surprised.

TTUHSC is not a 4 year school. You can only get in with 90 hours completed and a MCAT score. If they had sports team, all students would be seniors, school wise, not eligibility wise.

Medical degrees aren’t known for their easy course work. I can’t imagine a lot of people in the UTEP nursing program are also part of the athletics teams.

TTUHSC is the only school in the country that requires its students to learn Spanish. Another thing to take time away from any potential sports.

It’s one of the dumbest things you have ever suggested. At least these students will be able to help you after you’re done huffing paint and sticking Qtips too far in your ear.

This is beyond dumb - not surprised.

TTUHSC is not a 4 year school. You can only get in with 90 hours completed and a MCAT score. If they had sports team, all students would be seniors, school wise, not eligibility wise.

Medical degrees aren’t known for their easy course work. I can’t imagine a lot of people in the UTEP nursing program are also part of the athletics teams.

TTUHSC is the only school in the country that requires its students to learn Spanish. Another thing to take time away from any potential sports.

It’s one of the dumbest things you have ever suggested. At least these students will be able to help you after you’re done huffing paint and sticking Qtips too far in your ear.
So can they add sports?? What if Texas Tech expands the school and adds other degree programs??

So can they add sports?? What if Texas Tech expands the school and adds other degree programs??
It’s part of the Texas Tech University Health Science Center which is a medical school based in Lubbock with additional campuses. El Paso has one of the five additional campuses. I believe you said that you went to UTSA, if so, then it is the equivalent to the UT Health Science Center in San Antonio. So…no…they won’t add sports.

I dont know if they can or can't. But NoWins said it doesn't have undergrad coursework, which I didn't learn until I read his post. In any case, I just cannot see a Medical Student having time for team sports.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
It’s part of the Texas Tech University Health Science Center which is a medical school based in Lubbock with additional campuses. El Paso has one of the five additional campuses. I believe you said that you went to UTSA, if so, then it is the equivalent to the UT Health Science Center in San Antonio. So…no…they won’t add sports.
Im looking at google maps and it looks like its growing. I wouldnt be surprised if Texas Tech adds other degree programs, and they star a Texas Tech-EL Paso. I heard Jefferson High Scool is closing down . So maybe Texas Tech buys that land and expands.

I dont know if they can or can't. But NoWins said it doesn't have undergrad coursework, which I didn't learn until I read his post. In any case, I just cannot see a Medical Student having time for team sports.
nowins doesnt know what he is talking about. I didnt even bother reading all what he wrote.

• Haha
Reactions: denverutep
Not totally out of the question but pretty slim. TT is a university system, like the UT system and they do have 2 satellite campuses (universities) which sponsor athletics Angelo State University and Midwestern State are both part of the TT system and sponsor college athletics. If this were to happen TT would have to start a new school or significantly expand the TMC to a four year + university. Which is a remote possibility then add athletics. I do believe this area could and needs another university either private or public. There is a symbiosis which occurs when universities are clustered and compete for students. Now could EP support another college athletic program? doubtful. EPCC has for years tried to get their athletics program going but expanding outside baseball has been a no go.

Not to nitpick, but since 2013 TTUHSC at El Paso has been a standalone component of the TTU System. Our medical school, nursing school, graduate school of biomedical sciences, and our dental school are all completely separate from the HSC in Lubbock (which also consists of multiple schools beyond their medical school).

Lol and to answer the OP, no, there are no plans to start an undergraduate school here, so no athletics.

Not to nitpick, but since 2013 TTUHSC at El Paso has been a standalone component of the TTU System. Our medical school, nursing school, graduate school of biomedical sciences, and our dental school are all completely separate from the HSC in Lubbock (which also consists of multiple schools beyond their medical school).

Lol and to answer the OP, no, there are no plans to start an undergraduate school here, so no athletics.
But you can if you wanted too? Is there plans for the campus to expand?

Not totally out of the question but pretty slim. TT is a university system, like the UT system and they do have 2 satellite campuses (universities) which sponsor athletics Angelo State University and Midwestern State are both part of the TT system and sponsor college athletics. If this were to happen TT would have to start a new school or significantly expand the TMC to a four year + university. Which is a remote possibility then add athletics. I do believe this area could and needs another university either private or public. There is a symbiosis which occurs when universities are clustered and compete for students. Now could EP support another college athletic program? doubtful. EPCC has for years tried to get their athletics program going but expanding outside baseball has been a no go.
I've brought up the idea, that there should be a Texas A&M- El Paso. But like always the debbie downers, AKA ncasnowins, shot it down.

Reactions: kickballpro
I've brought up the idea, that there should be a Texas A&M- El Paso. But like always the debbie downers, AKA ncasnowins, shot it down.
Some people think, I am troll, but you’re actually the biggest troll here.

Can’t wait for your newest topics to be posted soon:

Army should move half of their games to Ft Bliss!

EPCC should be a 4 year college and have division 1 sports!

Can we make Bowie the best high school in El Paso? Why don’t more people send their kids to Bowie?

There should be more diets with only Taco Bell food!

Why doesn’t Madonna live in El Paso?

Some people think, I am troll, but you’re actually the biggest troll here.

Can’t wait for your newest topics to be posted soon:

Army should move half of their games to Ft Bliss!

EPCC should be a 4 year college and have division 1 sports!

Can we make Bowie the best high school in El Paso? Why don’t more people send their kids to Bowie?

There should be more diets with only Taco Bell food!

Why doesn’t Madonna live in El Paso?
You're the debbie downer of this board. Any idea someone brings up on here, you always knock it down. I bet you didnt think El Paso would ever get a Top Golf or a baseball stadium downtown. I bet you voted against the Arena downtown. Do you think El Paso should get a big waterpark? I know someone in El Paso that is trying to bring some type of Surfing to El Paso. Would you be against that?

I've always wondered why there wasn't another 4 year University here. I lived in Abilene and there were 3 Univeresities there. I would have thought there would have been a Catholic College in El Paso.

I think Southwest University will have team sports before Texas Tech.

What sports should Southwest University add first? They can be the next Grand Canyon.

You're the debbie downer of this board. Any idea someone brings up on here, you always knock it down. I bet you didnt think El Paso would ever get a Top Golf or a baseball stadium downtown. I bet you voted against the Arena downtown. Do you think El Paso should get a big waterpark? I know someone in El Paso that is trying to bring some type of Surfing to El Paso. Would you be against that?
Not true. Not my fault, I am realistic.

No pro league is coming to El Paso. Not NFL, MLB, MLS, NHL or NBA. Any suggestion that they could come here is ridiculously stupid. There is no good argument for any of them to put a team here.

If someone wants to bring up WNBA or NWSL, those are a bit more “realistic”, but still just fantasy.

I voted for the ballpark and arena. However, I would not vote for the arena any longer. I am not confident that the city can build it right, and I am not confident it would be used very often.

Your water park or surf park questions would be answered the same way I would address any business. If the project is getting significant tax breaks? What are the wages that will be paid to the employees?

If any water park is receiving tax breaks, I would be against it. Mostly because the jobs are at/near minimum wage and are only seasonal jobs. If someone is buying the land at market rate and is not receiving any tax incentives from the city, I am all for it. Got it?

No pro league is coming to El Paso. Not NFL, MLB, MLS, NHL or NBA. Any suggestion that they could come here is ridiculously stupid. There is no good argument for any of them to put a team here.

If someone wants to bring up WNBA or NWSL, those are a bit more “realistic”, but still just fantasy.

I voted for the ballpark and arena. However, I would not vote for the arena any longer. I am not confident that the city can build it right, and I am not confident it would be used very often.

Your water park or surf park questions would be answered the same way I would address any business. If the project is getting significant tax breaks? What are the wages that will be paid to the employees?

If any water park is receiving tax breaks, I would be against it. Mostly because the jobs are at/near minimum wage and are only seasonal jobs. If someone is buying the land at market rate and is not receiving any tax incentives from the city, I am all for it. Got it?
I’ve got agree with you. At this point the city is doing another “study of a study” and that’s been the norm for almost 20 years. In that time how many cities in El Paso’s level have planned, and built arenas anlong with other projects. This level of ineptitude has crossed decades and mayoral/city council regimes and it’s beyond shocking.

But back to my original question: this is not Arena they’re studying right? Isn’t this the Art/Entertainment venue that was in the awfully worded in the bond vote. Because that litigation was so long but I thought Grossman fought the language of the bond and the judge said any building built with the bond money could have amenities like locker rooms and such.

That’s the smartest post you have put on this board!!

That’s the smartest post you have put on this board!!
Its bunch nonsense if you ask me?? He is no realist, he is a debbie downer, just like a bunch of posters on here. They're still living in the past, they dont want to see El Paso prosper and grow into a big city.

El Paso is not small City, it's normal for a big city to have multiple universities. San Antonio has how many like 6??

I bet you Ncaanowins is against sending humans to Mars.

I want to see El Paso prosper and have a fraction of the things similar sized cities have. I got tired of waiting for shit to happen. Nail in the coffin for me was the arena debacle. According to my dad that's the way things have been since he was a kid and probably will continue to be until my death.

I am all for the arena, downtown revitalization and moving the city forward, but I think we can forget about the arena for now. No reason to keep studying it. Just vote to re-purpose the money into something more needed (especially now after COVID).

Its bunch nonsense if you ask me?? He is no realist, he is a debbie downer, just like a bunch of posters on here. They're still living in the past, they dont want to see El Paso prosper and grow into a big city.

El Paso is not small City, it's normal for a big city to have multiple universities. San Antonio has how many like 6??

I support sending humans to Mars. Are you available?

I am all for the arena, downtown revitalization and moving the city forward, but I think we can forget about the arena for now. No reason to keep studying it. Just vote to re-purpose the money into something more needed (especially now after COVID).
No way the voters are going to approve issuing bonds for something else. The ship has sailed.

Building a massive arena or cowboys stadium here, won’t get a team here. You can talk about it all you want, it just makes you look dumb(er).

What’s your obsession with having other schools in El Paso? Especially so they can have sports teams. You even said you don’t even watch UTEP basketball games, just the highlights, but here you are suggesting more collegiate sports teams. Idiotic.

El Paso won’t prosper unless the population swings drastically and the city stops giving out tax breaks for call centers and other meh jobs. Go email Paul Foster and tell him your ideas. Make it happen, captain.

I want to see El Paso prosper and have a fraction of the things similar sized cities have. I got tired of waiting for shit to happen. Nail in the coffin for me was the arena debacle. According to my dad that's the way things have been since he was a kid and probably will continue to be until my death.
El Paso doesn't prosper because like on this board. There is a bunch of naysayers. The city is the same way. Ncaanowins is just one of thousands living in El Paso, that think the same way he does.

Now back to , El Paso should have another university. Let's face it Utep is for the westside. Eastsiders dont come to Utep, because its too far for them. Texas A&M , should build a Texas A&M -El Paso on the far east side.

Building a massive arena or cowboys stadium here, won’t get a team here. You can talk about it all you want, it just makes you look dumb(er).

What’s your obsession with having other schools in El Paso? Especially so they can have sports teams. You even said you don’t even watch UTEP basketball games, just the highlights, but here you are suggesting more collegiate sports teams. Idiotic.

El Paso won’t prosper unless the population swings drastically and the city stops giving out tax breaks for call centers and other meh jobs. Go email Paul Foster and tell him your ideas. Make it happen, captain.
Answer my question. I bet you dont support sending humans to mars?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT