ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The Austin Bills?

Last edited:
10 years ago, when I lived in Austin, I would have said never going to happen. The amount of money and people, mostly coming from California, has made it a real possibility now. Put them in San Marcos and draw some of the San Antonio crowd and its a viable franchise...get rid of the name though.

Team likely angling for a better deal somewhere, new stadium or rights. It would be cool if it happened, though. Funny Austin has stolen SA's thunder a bit.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
I think that's because Austin has a lot of new money coming in. Real Estate has shot through the roof. My house that I bought 10 years ago is appraising at almost 3 times what we paid. We've outgrown our current home, but if we sell we have to leave the Austin area because everything else has also shot up to 3 times what it was worth 10 years ago.
Team likely angling for a better deal somewhere, new stadium or rights. It would be cool if it happened, though. Funny Austin has stolen SA's thunder a bit.

I think that's because Austin has a lot of new money coming in. Real Estate has shot through the roof. My house that I bought 10 years ago is appraising at almost 3 times what we paid. We've outgrown our current home, but if we sell we have to leave the Austin area because everything else has also shot up to 3 times what it was worth 10 years ago.

This property was worth a little over 200k ten years ago. Everything is through the roof. I might be cashing out and leaving Austin soon myself.

This property was worth a little over 200k ten years ago. Everything is through the roof. I might be cashing out and leaving Austin soon myself.
I worked the Marfa, Texas area for some years after the financial crisis up to about two years ago and a great or grandparents house bought for a few thousand back during the Cuban Missile Crisis or just prior are/were upwards to a quarter of a million recently, and basic, sold "as is". Mijo and Mija (the heirs) were "Cha-Ching'ing!" and wanted nothing to do with the intra-city infighting among the natives and new and young hipsters.

Yes it started when artists moved in during late 80's, early 90's. Now, legal eagles from So Cal and parts of Texas want(ed) a "second" and really drove up the price. Marfa is in some of the best hunting spots in the U.S..

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/27/arts/design/marfa-texas-adobe-taxes.html

Last edited:
I worked the Marfa, Texas area for some years after the financial crisis up to about two years ago and a great or grandparents house bought for a few thousand back during the Cuban Missile Crisis or just prior are/were upwards to a quarter of a million recently, and basic, sold "as is". Mijo and Mija (the heirs) were "Cha-Ching'ing!" and wanted nothing to do with the intra-city infighting among the natives and new and young hipsters.

Yes it started when artists moved in during late 80's, early 90's. Now, legal eagles from So Cal and parts of Texas want(ed) a "second" and really drove up the price. Marfa is in some of the best hunting spots in the U.S..

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/27/arts/design/marfa-texas-adobe-taxes.html
What about those Marfa lights? Maybe there are just too many aliens buying up the land.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT