ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The NCAA Tournament Selection Criteria is Flawed

MinerManiac

MI Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 28, 2001
I know that I'm preaching to the choir, but I believe it needs to be said: the criteria that the selection committee uses to select teams is flawed. In their game against Marquette yesterday, two things were abundantly clear:
1. Yes, Ja Morant really is that good, and
2. Murray State is a damn good team.

I keep reading, however, that the Racers would not have even made the tournament if not for their Ohio Valley Tournament championship. Seriously? This team was 28-4 before entering the tournament. 28 and frickin' 4. I don't care what their record was against quadrant 1 and 2 teams or whatever, they were 28-4 in a league that featured a very good Belmont team, a team who was able to secure an at large bid. This is ridiculous.

There is no way to know for sure, but I am confident that Murray State is significantly better than a 19-13 Oklahoma team. And Ohio State, at 19-14. And Florida at 19-15 (yeah, I know that the Seminoles beat Nevada, but the Wolf Pack haven't been playing well recently).

One of the first things we need to do as fans is to stop parroting the BS that the committee uses when excluding mid major teams. A couple of years ago, when someone on this board complained about Illinois State's exclusion after a 27-6 season and a number 33 RPI, others here defended the slight. They suggested that we look at their record versus the RPI top 50, a criteria that was theoretically more important than the RPI.

Now I will agree with the supposition that the RPI is a flawed stat, one that has apparently now gone away. It was, however, in use at the time. It was used to help determine seeding, to determine strength of schedule, and to determine how a school played against the top teams. We were told, however, that a team's RPI had no bearing as to whether or not they received an at large bid.

This is such a logical fallacy. If the RPI was useless in determining how good of a team Illinois State was, how was it useful in determining their strength of schedule? What did their record against the RPI top 50 matter, when we've just determined that their RPI of 33 meant nothing? How is it that the RPI of their opponents somehow meant something? It is incredulous that the NCAA Tournament Selection Committee can use a statistic as they see fit to exclude mid majors, and we, as mid major fans, don't call them on it.

I have no idea as to how the new NET rating is calculated. I have no idea as to what Murray State's NET rating was coming into the tournament, nor their record against Q1 and Q2, and I really don't care. They were 27-4 and a damn good team entering the OVC Tournament championship game. They should have been a lock for the NCAA Tournament, win or lose that game.

We need a selection committee that isn't so enamored with the Power 5. One that doesn't create, and often change, criteria to try to exclude outstanding mid major teams. I love the NCAA Tournament, and the current process is still miles better than what we have in college football. The process is still very much broken, however, and needs to be fixed.

Two parting thoughts:
1. I'm very happy that Murray State won the OVC Tournament championship, so that I could watch Ja Morant and his teammates, and
2. If I was a fan of UNC-Greensboro I would be incredibly pissed right now.

Reactions: Lil_Train
Its definitely set up for the Power Conferences to be successful. Even though midmajors prove year after year they belong, they tweak the system to remove the midmajor factor.

I used to be glued to March Madness but the NCAA is doing everything they can to eliminate the upsets. How dare Loyola Chicago get a piece of that Final Four money.

Whats hurting high majors is the 1 and done and players leaving early. The teams like murray state they are playing with older players. The NBA has turned into a kids league.

CUSA found the loophole in the RPI racket and the NCAA changed the rules to prevent other conferences from following suit.

UTEP a la 1989? UTEP was bottom feeding on the seeding and LSU was first. I clearly remember reading in SI that LSU was actually the underdog going up against Tim Hardaway and Antonio Davis's Miner loaded team.

It took years for Gonzaga to get respectable seeding. You just have to keep at it I guess.

CUSA found the loophole in the RPI racket and the NCAA changed the rules to prevent other conferences from following suit.

What the MVC did was play alot of cupcakes on the road to manipulate the RPI and they became a multi bid league. Then other mid majors followed suit. Now with the quadrant system, CUSA did this flex schedule thing to end the season to get the top teams more top wins. But, it didn't help.

Now with majority of the Power schools in Q1, they get enough Q1 games against each other that they basically are eliminating the mid major at large. It's going to be very difficult for another Gonzaga to rise.

To me, the tournament hasn't been much fun. But it's what the NCAA wants.

I know that I'm preaching to the choir, but I believe it needs to be said: the criteria that the selection committee uses to select teams is flawed. In their game against Marquette yesterday, two things were abundantly clear:
1. Yes, Ja Morant really is that good, and
2. Murray State is a damn good team.

I keep reading, however, that the Racers would not have even made the tournament if not for their Ohio Valley Tournament championship. Seriously? This team was 28-4 before entering the tournament. 28 and frickin' 4. I don't care what their record was against quadrant 1 and 2 teams or whatever, they were 28-4 in a league that featured a very good Belmont team, a team who was able to secure an at large bid. This is ridiculous.

There is no way to know for sure, but I am confident that Murray State is significantly better than a 19-13 Oklahoma team. And Ohio State, at 19-14. And Florida at 19-15 (yeah, I know that the Seminoles beat Nevada, but the Wolf Pack haven't been playing well recently).

One of the first things we need to do as fans is to stop parroting the BS that the committee uses when excluding mid major teams. A couple of years ago, when someone on this board complained about Illinois State's exclusion after a 27-6 season and a number 33 RPI, others here defended the slight. They suggested that we look at their record versus the RPI top 50, a criteria that was theoretically more important than the RPI.

Now I will agree with the supposition that the RPI is a flawed stat, one that has apparently now gone away. It was, however, in use at the time. It was used to help determine seeding, to determine strength of schedule, and to determine how a school played against the top teams. We were told, however, that a team's RPI had no bearing as to whether or not they received an at large bid.

This is such a logical fallacy. If the RPI was useless in determining how good of a team Illinois State was, how was it useful in determining their strength of schedule? What did their record against the RPI top 50 matter, when we've just determined that their RPI of 33 meant nothing? How is it that the RPI of their opponents somehow meant something? It is incredulous that the NCAA Tournament Selection Committee can use a statistic as they see fit to exclude mid majors, and we, as mid major fans, don't call them on it.

I have no idea as to how the new NET rating is calculated. I have no idea as to what Murray State's NET rating was coming into the tournament, nor their record against Q1 and Q2, and I really don't care. They were 27-4 and a damn good team entering the OVC Tournament championship game. They should have been a lock for the NCAA Tournament, win or lose that game.

We need a selection committee that isn't so enamored with the Power 5. One that doesn't create, and often change, criteria to try to exclude outstanding mid major teams. I love the NCAA Tournament, and the current process is still miles better than what we have in college football. The process is still very much broken, however, and needs to be fixed.

Two parting thoughts:
1. I'm very happy that Murray State won the OVC Tournament championship, so that I could watch Ja Morant and his teammates, and
2. If I was a fan of UNC-Greensboro I would be incredibly pissed right now.

Open letter to the selection committee?

1st two rounds are fun then I lose interest after sweet 16 unless there's Cinderella. UCF Vs Duke game was Amazing. It would've blew up my bracket, but would've loved to see Duke get knocked out. Oregon is a good story this year how they got hot late in the season and are keeping it going. Was really hoping either Murray State, Liberty, UC Irvine or someone like that made sweet 16.

Reactions: develman
1st two rounds are fun then I lose interest after sweet 16 unless there's Cinderella. UCF Vs Duke game was Amazing. It would've blew up my bracket, but would've loved to see Duke get knocked out. Oregon is a good story this year how they got hot late in the season and are keeping it going. Was really hoping either Murray State, Liberty, UC Irvine or someone like that made sweet 16.

Oregon was the preseason pick to win the PAC 12. They had a horrific middle of the season. They gave the Huskies their first home loss of the season in the final game of the regular season. That spurred them on to a run in the conference tournament where they beat the Huskies again in the PAC 12 championship game. Oregon is playing now how they were supposed to all year long.

The tourney selection precess stopped being fair a long time ago. Unless you remove "made for TV" label that the selection committee uses to select teams it will not change.....I stop watching after the first round or once all the mid-majors are gone. Viewership has been declining the last few years, so I'm not alone.

Last edited:
Oregon was the preseason pick to win the PAC 12. They had a horrific middle of the season. They gave the Huskies their first home loss of the season in the final game of the regular season. That spurred them on to a run in the conference tournament where they beat the Huskies again in the PAC 12 championship game. Oregon is playing now how they were supposed to all year long.
I know thwyrth a regular name, but this year they were 15-12 and now they're in the sweet 16

Make it a true OPEN tournament. Have play-in games throughout the season until you get to the final 64. Just like Haskins wanted. I'll shut up now.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
Minimum of 20 wins would be nice, but won't happen. The fact that Texas was even on the bubble at 16-16 was ridiculous. Who cares who they beat, they lost too many games. Also having a winning conference record should be required as well. This would help mid majors and disqualify undeserving Mediocre Majors.

KenPom ratings for teams left in NIT:

Texas 30
NC State 38
Lipscomb 43
Indiana 44
TCU 46
Creighton 54
Colorado 63
Wichita St 74

I had the privilege of watching Lipscomb in the NIT the other day. Yeah, I called it a privilege. They are the embodiment of doing more with less. I haven’t looked but I bet they are a squad full of unrated and 2 star kids. Didn’t recognize a single name. They play solid, fundamental bb. They shot well. They team rebound well. Most points came off assists, so they have good chemistry. They destroyed UNCG, who sat right on the bubble’s edge and was apparently the first team out of THE tourney. I say all this because I don’t think it takes a bunch of highly regarded HS kids or transfers to get it done. These kids are coached up very well. While it is nice to get the sought after 3 or 4 star guy, if Terry is all that, and I hope he proves to be, we should be able to get it done within a couple years with what we have. I say a couple years because if the lack of trigger men isn’t addressed this year, I think it has to be the following year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT