ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The win at all cost of major college football

utep2step

MI Miner Maniac
Jul 10, 2001
Sam Ukwuachu is a former Boise State freshman All-American who transferred to Baylor and has yet to play a down for Baylor. The guy raped a female student of Baylor in '13 and Baylor and local law enforcement have done everything in their power to keep the story hush and get him out on the field.

And, so?!

He was indicted....with no charges from the Waco police! (News outlets have asked for documents under the FOIA, but Waco police records department will not respond back to any news outlets.

The victim had to transfer because she had her scholarship reduced (due to the case).

Briles is proud of how Baylor handled the whole situation. Yeah Briles, you're a real class act.

As a current local sports commentator and local sports radio personality once told me years back: "It ain't cheatin' until you're caught" (and we were talking about Briles too when he was at Houston.). That motto is alive and well in major college football.

I doubt UTEP will crack the Top 25 in football, but as an alum, I am proud that Kugler runs a clean, no BS program.

http://deadspin.com/the-baylor-football-sexual-assault-trial-you-havent-hea-1723776958

Last edited:
Reactions: jdubb66
Yeah, I loathe the state of college football, and it's win at all costs mentality. My son plays and tells me of stories all the time. Has had teammates admit to forcing young women to have sex and that they "enjoyed it" once they let go into the experience. Had a teammate pull a gun out on several unsuspecting students and take like 36 bucks...and served a 1 game suspension (mostly due to community pressure to impose some kind of penalty). Assaults are almost a weekly occurrence, on both females and males alike. The stupid ass "knock out" game is rampant. These offenders need much stiffer penalties as most just get a slap on the wrist. Lock these entitled fuks up and make them engage in something productive, that benefits society, from their cold, dark cells.

I haven't read the Baylor player's police report, but I did read Artis' and no charges were filed against him. I'm guessing that may partly be the case because the woman had more than one opportunity to leave but didn't. I'm not excusing his behavior in any way, I'm simply saying there's a reason charges weren't filed.

I haven't read the Baylor player's police report, but I did read Artis' and no charges were filed against him. I'm guessing that may partly be the case because the woman had more than one opportunity to leave but didn't. I'm not excusing his behavior in any way, I'm simply saying there's a reason charges weren't filed.
Don't even try to excuse his behavior, JUST WIN BABY!
{sarcasm}

Reactions: El Paso Chihuahuas
I think the people who see any similarity between this case and Artis's case are the ones wearing the blinders.

Nor was I surprised by your comment either, however, I'm right. Actually, if you stand by your convictions, you would not attend or support Miner athletics in any way shape or form. Either put some substance behind your words or get off that high horse you're riding, preacher.

Reactions: tbleslieDELETE
I think Chihuas is hating life for a a few reasons:
1. Dropped head first when he was an infant.
2. Saw his mom naked and got traumatized.
3. Could not play sports and was always the last one chosen.
4. Hate UTEP because they keep getting better than NMSU.
5. His girlfriend told him that any UTEP alumni was better than him (in bed).

I was just about to say that. Of course the people wearing orange blinders are going to say his case was completely different.
No blinders Bob. Artis is part of the group too. You read this board daily Bob, so you damn well know that I have posted that I am not happy about Floyd's desperate decision to let him transfer here. Or do I need to look that up for you as well?

I don't want to make this a repeat of the Artis thread, but my personal take is, you don't throw away a man's life and give him no second chance when he was not convicted, nor even charged. He publicly admitted in media and in print to the night and apologized for his bad judgment. And it was a night of bad judgment for ALL involved. Nowadays all you get is a tweet. But to say your life ends here, no second chance bud when there was no arrest, and no evidence of any preferential treatment Ala Baylor. No, some people perch themselves up so high the eventual fall is fun to watch. And everyone takes a fall sooner or later, and everyone's crap stinks just the same.

Sexual assault is a serious crime. Artis is lucky because of detective incompetence if you want to get down to it, otherwise, he's be doing 2 to 20. But he took a big step and didn't shy away and that I can respect, because I too believe in 2nd chances. When you're a college male athletic stud, you think you're immortal, but they're actually young, dumb and full of [expletive].

The Baylor story is sad, very sad. A young female student gets forced out of school, Briles and his staff deny it all, the university did nothing to investigate and the police went to the hospital to talk to the victim and a nurse reported what looked like sexual assault wounds.....and no records? And by the way, this exact same thing happened two years earlier with one of Briles players. That loser got 20 years and the judge said this particular player "has no conscious" and threw the maximum at him. Can you imagine if Floyd did something like this? Sports news outlets would burn him at the stake and serve him up to the NCAA.

The most horrifying assault by FBS players happened at UAB under Coach Brown (Mack Brown's brother) over ten years ago. That story is disgusting and almost got UAB the death penalty (just right when they moved up to D1A as they called it back then) given the crimes involved.

Reactions: allminer

NMSU is just a large ag community college and they get ignored by the legislature every year and complain UNM gets the majority of funding (which they do).

Taking Artis is a risk for the program and for the community, frankly. The final chapter hasn't been written on him yet. If he behaves responsibly, graduates, and contributes to the team, the bet will pay off. If not, Floyd will deserve all the second-guessing and consequences he'll get -- it was his bet to make. He did his due diligence and decided to take the chance. Time will tell if Artis deserved the second chance.

Taking Artis is a risk for the program and for the community, frankly. The final chapter hasn't been written on him yet. If he behaves responsibly, graduates, and contributes to the team, the bet will pay off. If not, Floyd will deserve all the second-guessing and consequences he'll get -- it was his bet to make. He did his due diligence and decided to take the chance. Time will tell if Artis deserved the second chance.

I couldn't agree more.

bynryn.jpg

Nor was I surprised by your comment either, however, I'm right. Actually, if you stand by your convictions, you would not attend or support Miner athletics in any way shape or form. Either put some substance behind your words or get off that high horse you're riding, preacher.

What are my convictions? What does basketball have to do with the other sports? Just because I don't like 1 player on a team doesn't mean I can't support the other players.

You are right. UTEP basketball is MUCH better than NMSU. We sweep NMSU every year and go to the Big Dance on a consistent basis.
You would think years 4 and 5 under floyd we would be sweeping NMSU easily. But the last 2 years against NMSU we are 1-3. Plus we were very fortunate last year to get the win. When they beat us its by double digits but when we beat them its close. Yet another foolish comment by Haskins Fan.

Reactions: El Paso Chihuahuas
Verdict just handed down in Ukwuachu case -- guilty and he gets 8 years probation!!?? Waco justice. Briles wants to know if he's still eligible to play...

Reactions: develman
Briles declared that then BSU coach Chris Petersen never told him anything about Ukwuachu problems, just that he was home sick. Really Briles, you lying sack of crap! Petersen told ESPN that he told Briles all about his disciplinary issues.

It's about to get real hot at Baylor. Ken Starr has to do something. I'd be surprised if Briles' head rolls, but you never know. This thing is blowing up nationally. Maybe the NCAA steps in if Baylor's response is deemed inadequate.

UTEP is pretty much the same thing. And people from UTEP always complain about the lack of funding issues as well.

Obviously you don't read or watch the news. UTEP has received quit a bit, so no bitchin from them in the recent past. I take it you haven't driven past the UTEP campus the last two or so years, have you?

Check out the new student union:rolleyes:

Reactions: develman
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT