ADVERTISEMENT

OT: UT and OU to the SEC?

It doesn’t make any sense to me but imagine the chaos if they did move. The Power 5 will be reduced to the Power 1, making other conferences starting to realign together. Then what about mid majors? I just can’t imagine it happening but crazier things have happened.

It's about money and for this to happen there has to be a boat load involved.

The domino affect could be very interesting except that once again, UTEP will be caught with their pants down. If a couple of AAC or MWC teams are called up to the Big 12 the replacements for the AAC or MWC probably won't include UTEP.

Reactions: utep-piggy
It's about money and for this to happen there has to be a boat load involved.

The domino affect could be very interesting except that once again, UTEP will be caught with their pants down. If a couple of AAC or MWC teams are called up to the Big 12 the replacements for the AAC or MWC probably won't include UTEP.
I don't think the Big 12 survives. It may survive in name but not as a power conference. We're headed for (4) 16 member power conferences.

Reactions: techsloth
I think OU and OSU are a package deal. If that is true then this move gets really tricky. SEC would have to kick someone or find another team to balance this out.

I think OU and OSU are a package deal. If that is true then this move gets really tricky. SEC would have to kick someone or find another team to balance this out.
The SEC isn’t kicking anyone out. The biggest school to be kicked out of somewhere was Temple in the Big East. They weren’t even a full member, only for football.

Oklahoma State has already released a panic filled statement. They know they ain't going to the SEC. I'm sure they're already lobbying the Big Ten.

$, NIL, $ NIL, $.................
Texas is already the #1 school in terms of total athletic department revenue:

https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances

In my opinion, this is in part due to the unequal treatment they receive as the bullies of the Big 12.

If they join the SEC, I don't think they would continue to receive this unequal treatment. The SEC doesn't "need" the Longhorns like the Big 12 does.

Texas's current arrangement already has them bringing in the most $ of any school in the entire country. When you're already at the top, why would you make such a drastic change?

Oklahoma State has already released a panic filled statement. They know they ain't going to the SEC. I'm sure they're already lobbying the Big Ten.
OK St isn’t a cultural “fit” with the Big 10. The Big 10 wants eastern schools like Virginia and North Carolina. Oklahoma St is far down the list.

If Alabama wants Texas and Oklahoma they will get them. Missouri isn't worth much compared to either one. I would expect they will get an earful before any vote is taken.

Reactions: techsloth
History, loyalty, and trust? In college athletics?
93cdda3f3ded29563c371d1dcd2c58e1.gif

Texas is already the #1 school in terms of total athletic department revenue:

https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances

In my opinion, this is in part due to the unequal treatment they receive as the bullies of the Big 12.

If they join the SEC, I don't think they would continue to receive this unequal treatment. The SEC doesn't "need" the Longhorns like the Big 12 does.

Texas's current arrangement already has them bringing in the most $ of any school in the entire country. When you're already at the top, why would you make such a drastic change?
I think you're underestimating the NIL aspect of this, not to mention the Big 12 is a dying conference and the conference TV package expires in 2025. Texas would gladly trade the Longhorn Network for a new deal involving the SEC.

As far as NIL, look at Oregon. Decent program that is recruiting above their weight due to Nike money. Texas doesn't want to be in the outside looking in when the dust settles as far as recruiting, and better NIL deals for players looking to play/get paid in the conference with the most exposure.

I grew up a Longhorn fan but I'm also a proud UTEP graduate, and I think this whole thing is out of hand and getting worse. I feel for small schools and their athletic programs, but P5's are aligning themselves to be in the best position possible when all is said and done.

OK St isn’t a cultural “fit” with the Big 10. The Big 10 wants eastern schools like Virginia and North Carolina. Oklahoma St is far down the list.
They're not that far off. Midwestern vibe. Texas is not a cultural fit in the SEC. It's about money. The Big Ten is running out of viable options for 15 and 16. Oklahoma State, Iowa State and Kansas are your choices. Not Earth shattering.

Tech in the Pac 12 is going to be the most bizzare cultural fit when this is over. Houston and Tech in the PAC-12. Houston isn't a bad fit. The two other schools to the PAC 12 are a crapshoot. If the presidents have to stomach Tech's horrible accidemics I think Rice gets invited to appease the academic angle. It also helps recruiting to have two schools in Houston. SMU would be a slam dunk if they didn't have a religious affiliation. Pac 12 won't admit schools with religious affiliations. If the PAC-12 can't get okie state the fourth school is going to be very interesting. Boise's academics eliminate them. They won't add a Cal State school. BYU is out. Maybe UNLV for the market only.

Virginia and North Carolina aren't leaving the ACC. They're founding members. Notre Dame will be forced to become a full member and and leave football independence behind.

This is going to be wild. Some teams are going to be left out. They have to be very nervous in Waco. There doesn't seem like there's a landing spot for the Bears. Karma may be catching up to them.

• Wow
Reactions: zoiker
They're not that far off. Midwestern vibe. Texas is not a cultural fit in the SEC. It's about money. The Big Ten is running out of viable options for 15 and 16. Oklahoma State, Iowa State and Kansas are your choices. Not Earth shattering.
These schools don't have the academics for the Big Ten and they definitely won't bring eyeballs to increase the TV revenue. Not sure there's many teams out there that the Big Ten would accept at this point. Notre Dame seems to be pompous enough for the Big Ten, but Notre Dame wants no part of that stalled ship.

These schools don't have the academics for the Big Ten and they definitely won't bring eyeballs to increase the TV revenue. Not sure there's many teams out there that the Big Ten would accept at this point. Notre Dame seems to be pompous enough for the Big Ten, but Notre Dame wants no part of that stalled ship.
I think the Big Ten would take Kansas in a minute, if only for the revenue their basketball program generates.

Big Ten's play would be for Notre Dame, which is a better regional fit with the Big Ten than the ACC.

I think the Big Ten would take Kansas in a minute, if only for the revenue their basketball program generates.
I don't think they make enough money for the Big Ten. Plus, football is the driving force behind realignment, basketball is an afterthought.

University of Kansas:

Football expenses: $25,325,279
Football revenue: $38,148,252
Football net: $12,822,973
Men's Basketball expenses: $12,547,439
Men's Basketball revenue: $18,974,009
Men's Basketball net: $6,426,570
Women's Basketball expenses: $3,736,593
Women's Basketball revenue: $85,917
Women's Basketball net: lost $3,650,676
Other men's sports expenses: $6,029,133
Other men's sports revenue: $83,467
Other men's sports net: lost $5,945,666
Other women's sports expenses: $13,696,174
Other women's sports revenue: $200,606
Other women's sports net: lost $13,495,568
Not allocated to a sport:
Expenses: $55,018,472
Revenue: $62,275,757
Net: $7,257,285
Total expenses: $116,353,090
Total revenue: $119,768,008
Total net: $3,414,918

Unfortunately UTEPs conference affiliation can only degrade due to its long term mediocrity in most sports, poor leadership and lack of $. I wouldn’t be surprised to see UTEP and NMSU both competing in the WAC in a few years.

Disagree about UTEP's mediocrity is the root cause of this. UH, UCF and BSU have all been good performers and are still on the outside looking in and not likely to ever get a seat at the table. On the field performance has little to do with this. This is all about who generates $$$ and who keeps it. Every program not in the ever shrinking club will find themselves downgraded even coat-tail schools like TCU, Baylor and Tech regardless of on the field performance. At best schools like OU and UT will negotiate for greater share of conference revenue, at worst they take their cash and leave.

Reactions: Taco1977
Disagree about UTEP's mediocrity is the root cause of this. UH, UCF and BSU have all been good performers and are still on the outside looking in and not likely to ever get a seat at the table. On the field performance has little to do with this.
They’re still on the outside, but they’re on the porch, looking at the door. UTEP is chained up in the corner, with no shade.

It’s exciting times for those programs that have experienced success and are looking forward to move up the conference ladder. For us all we can wonder is how much worse will our conference situation become.
You’re not wrong. If the MWC loses a team or two, UTEP is pretty much the only FBS team left in the west to get. While NMSU has a “good” basketball program, it’s not notches above UTEPs. I would have to favor UTEP over NMSU in MWC expansion.

If CUSA loses some eastern schools, that’s actually better for us. Would be killer if UNT, UTSA, and Rice end up with something better though.

You’re not wrong. If the MWC loses a team or two, UTEP is pretty much the only FBS team left in the west to get. While NMSU has a “good” basketball program, it’s not notches above UTEPs. I would have to favor UTEP over NMSU in MWC expansion.

If CUSA loses some eastern schools, that’s actually better for us. Would be killer if UNT, UTSA, and Rice end up with something better though.
Imo almost every scenario ends with UTEP being left in an even bigger island with more FBS start ups.

It's one thing to be owned by utsa and rice it's another to look up at the conference standings and see Incarnate Word and Houston Baptist above us.

If the MWC loses a team or two, UTEP is pretty much the only FBS team left in the west to get. While NMSU has a “good” basketball program, it’s not notches above UTEPs. I would have to favor UTEP over NMSU in MWC expansion.

I don't get the clinging on to wanting to be in the MWC, other than nostalgia, and I LOVED the UTEP v UNM bball rivalry. They didn't want us, eff them if they come calling now! But that's a whole other topic.

The SEC would love to have Texas and OU and the millions of eyeballs/TV viewers they bring. With those 2 in the SEC a new TV deal for the SEC would be ENOURMOUS; geographical, academic, political, and any other type of objection be damned.

The rich keep getting richer and the poor keep getting poorer, what's new?

✌️
"So me votingon that bill. Just replace UT & OU with UNT & TX State. More money for Texas schools. Plus I’d love to see the Mean Green win in Waco in a couple years"-Drew Springer-Texas Senator

Why does UNT have to be the ones running down the neighborhood street drunk, high af, totally naked and then have the audacity to be fed?

"Look at us! Look at us! Look at us!" [Christ almighty]. Congrats ODU, you all have been dethroned as the most pretentious, arrogant CUSA members. UTSA, your UNT's twin.

"They’re still on the outside, but they’re on the porch, looking at the door. UTEP is chained up in the corner, with no shade."
It's a shrinking porch and getting a wink and a empty promise by the big boys is all that they will get.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT