ADVERTISEMENT

OT: UT and OU to the SEC?

The toothpaste is out of the tube and while some can be sucked back in much will remain out of the tube. Shit is going to be different for the B12. UT and/or OU may stay but they have started a chain of actions that will result in a different B12 going forward. This is going to domino across all conferences.

UTEP to ???

Anywhere but C-USA, please.

No conference that is better (defining better by brings in more money to its schools) will have UTEP and do we really want to be in the Sun Belt or abandon FBS association and go Southland?

Sadly, our options are shit because we haven't won anything in a very long time. I guess we'll just have to support our guys wherever we end up because we don't control our own destiny.

Last edited:
Twitter also saying rumors are that while Kansas is reaching out for a life raft to the Big 10, Texas Tech, Baylor and Oklahoma state have been calling the PAC 12. No reports of the PAC 12 answering the phone. It looks like the little 8 would rather find another home than try to rebuild. If that happens then no trickle down effect.

Looks like you nailed it. I saw somewhere they're already talking with the Big Ten.
Twitter also saying rumors are that while Kansas is reaching out for a life raft to the Big 10, Texas Tech, Baylor and Oklahoma state have been calling the PAC 12. No reports of the PAC 12 answering the phone. It looks like the little 8 would rather find another home than try to rebuild. If that happens then no trickle down effect.

The trickle down will be for those B12 schools that don't land in the PAC12 or B10. Where do they end up.?

Man we should be trying to get some Texas schools to join us in offering the MWC to make 14 to 16 teams. Hopefully Paul Foster can throw us a financial life line since UTEP has long destroyed their athletic base/aspirations. All or nothing right now! That seems to be the way things are headed. Four 16 team P5 and Four 16 team G5?

Reactions: Lil_Train
Definitely scary times for West Virginia, Kansas St, and others. Big 12 screwed up years ago by taking West Virginia over Louisville.

I don’t really see the Pac 12 taking TCU, Baylor, Tech, and OK St. Not sure what real value they bring to the Pac 12. Too far away for ACC consideration.

My guess is Kansas and Iowa State to the B10. OK ST and TT to the P12. Baylor and TCU probably shit out of luck, unless the ACC comes calling. Looks like they have 1 spot, supposing Norte Dame joins full time. May go to WVU. Unless the P12 decides they’ll admit school with religious affiliation.

KSU may be on the outside looking in when all is said and done.

Curious if this opens the door at all for UH, Memphis, UCF, or Cinci.?.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
My guess is Kansas and Iowa State to the B10. OK ST and TT to the P12. Baylor and TCU probably shit out of luck, unless the ACC comes calling. Looks like they have 1 spot, supposing Norte Dame joins full time. May go to WVU. Unless the P12 decides they’ll admit school with religious affiliation.

I could see that Big 10 scenario. Can’t imagine that the Pac 12 would be that interested in those 2 without their “big brothers” though. All depends on how much everyone is worth in TV dollars.

No way WVU goes to the ACC or some other power conference. They’re stuck with whatever is left.

No doubt UH is trying to hitch on to Baylor and TCU is some way.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
I could see that Big 10 scenario. Can’t imagine that the Pac 12 would be that interested in those 2 without their “big brothers” though. All depends on how much everyone is worth in TV dollars.

No way WVU goes to the ACC or some other power conference. They’re stuck with whatever is left.

No doubt UH is trying to hitch on to Baylor and TCU is some way.
Why no way WVU goes to the ACC in your estimation?

I remember some association between TT and the P12 a few years ago during one of the realignment possibilities. Not sure how serious the talks were, but they happened along with UH as a potential partner. May not be logistically sound, as you mentioned, but weirder things have happened.

I wonder if There are only 2 or 3 remnants left if the AAC will pick them up. They are at 11 now.

Why no way WVU goes to the ACC in your estimation?

I remember some association between TT and the P12 a few years ago during one of the realignment possibilities. Not sure how serious the talks were, but they happened along with UH as a potential partner. May not be logistically sound, as you mentioned, but weirder things have happened.
WVU football program is mediocre now. No tv network will pay more money to add them. Their basketball is pretty good, but not enough for more money.

I think TTU and UH to the Pac 12 would be cool, but I don’t think it will happen. Big 10 has to take KU and ISU, or else, I think they remain together and take the best G5 schools.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
I can not see the PAC 12 taking Baylor, Tech and TCU. I really think they will have no choice but to poach some AAC teams. Houston, Cincy or Memphis are solid choices IMO.

UCF will start banging their drum in 10...9...8...7...6....

Reactions: utep-piggy
"The race to form super conferences within college football is on. Texas and Oklahoma are headed to the SEC, so where does the Big 12 go from here? The Pac-12 isn’t just an option, but is involved in ongoing discussions among conference leaders.

On thursday, conference leaders discussed “reaching out” to the Pac-12 to form a 20-school super league. The merger would combine its eight remaining programs with the Pac-12’s 12 schools.

“Reaching out to the Pac-12 about a potential 20-school merger was discussed during Thursday’s Big 12 leadership call,” Feldman wrote via The Athletic.

The league would be wise to merge with the Pac-12 as opposed to trying to add Group of 5 programs to up its conference members total. The Pac-12 needs a facelift as well. This almost makes too much sense as both Power Five conferences need to do everything possible to remain relevant, in the face of an even more powerful SEC."

https://thespun.com/big-12/big-12-pac-12-merger-report-super-conference-20-teams-oklahoma-texas-sec

WVU football program is mediocre now. No tv network will pay more money to add them. Their basketball is pretty good, but not enough for more money.

I think TTU and UH to the Pac 12 would be cool, but I don’t think it will happen. Big 10 has to take KU and ISU, or else, I think they remain together and take the best G5 schools.
So who of the P5 programs do you see left out in the cold when the dust settles?

"For 2019-2020, the Pac-12 Conference reported revenues of $416M and net operating expenses of $47M"

"The ACC distributed a record $497.2 million for the 2019-20 financial year, the highest gross revenue ever reported for the league..."

Now, how does adding Tech, TCU, Bayor enhance anything? Are you going to flip the channel to watch Tech vs Utah? Baylor vs UCLA? Not much.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
So who of the P5 programs do you see left out in the cold when the dust settles?
If the B10 expands, KSt and WVU are in trouble. I don’t see the Pac 12 expanding and taking any non Texas or Oklahoma school. No way they expand to 20 and take on West Virginia. WVU isn’t a school the Pac12 would want to be associated with. A 20 team conference would be ridiculous too.

Just my opinion, I think they will remain together, especially since they have a CFP spot locked up. Probably have to add at least 1 or 2 teams. UH and Cincinnati would be the first 2 I call.

None of the remaining 8 schools add enough value to make it work money wise for the conferences.

A&M will continue to be the best school in texas and one of the best in the country. The only difference is now they get to beat the crap out of the horns every few years. Gig em👍🏻

tenor.gif

I don't get the clinging on to wanting to be in the MWC, other than nostalgia, and I LOVED the UTEP v UNM bball rivalry. They didn't want us, eff them if they come calling now! But that's a whole other topic.

The SEC would love to have Texas and OU and the millions of eyeballs/TV viewers they bring. With those 2 in the SEC a new TV deal for the SEC would be ENOURMOUS; geographical, academic, political, and any other type of objection be damned.

The rich keep getting richer and the poor keep getting poorer, what's new?
Well said but MWC would still be a step up from C-USA. What are the alternatives?

Reactions: MinerInWisconsin
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT