ADVERTISEMENT

OT: UT and OU to the SEC?

tenor.gif
Positive:) never been more sure of anything.

Judy, seriously?

Monitoring the situation can be handled best by telling some members like USM, UNT, UTSA, ODU and Marshall to chill the F out cuz they are not going anywhere. FBS football is not a game of horseshoes and an "almost" against a BYU doesn't cut the mustard. The state politico alums [ahem! UNT] can talk all they want but they have no leverage, CUSA has no leverage.

While you're at it, tell Rice and UTEP to either step it up in football or just get out of FBS and go hoops.

Get some dog shit, put it in a nice box with Neiman Marcus wrapping and get selling to sports networks, that's is your main job. I'm sorry, but if a weirdo can sell "prosperity gospel, God wants you too be rich!" on TV, they can sell a better deal for CUSA football.

So the statement from C-USA commish MacLeod says "... best position our member institutions ..." Best position for what, I ask? I hope this means that she sees the writing on the wall in big, bold letters that spell out "C-USA is a shit conference and needs to be dissolved so that its member institutions can find homes in conferences that will position them to truly build their athletic programs because they will play against true rivals and this will put butts in seats and sell tons of popcorn and soda and beer and bring in additional funding from donors and TV contracts that enables the building of better facilities and it all begins to feed off of itself in a never-ending cycle of prosperity and success."

Yeah, that what I hope she means by "best position our member institutions."

Reactions: T-6 Miner
So the statement from C-USA commish MacLeod says "... best position our member institutions ..." Best position for what, I ask? I hope this means that she sees the writing on the wall in big, bold letters that spell out "C-USA is a shit conference and needs to be dissolved so that its member institutions can find homes in conferences that will position them to truly build their athletic programs because they will play against true rivals and this will put butts in seats and sell tons of popcorn and soda and beer and bring in additional funding from donors and TV contracts that enables the building of better facilities and it all begins to feed off of itself in a never-ending cycle of prosperity and success."

Yeah, that what I hope she means by "best position our member institutions."
Not gonna happen if it's up to her. UTEP admin needs to take this one by the horns and figure out the best approach. Sadly I think it's too late since we already missed the boat, but we'll see. UTEP needs money too.

Not gonna happen if it's up to her. UTEP admin needs to take this one by the horns and figure out the best approach. Sadly I think it's too late since we already missed the boat, but we'll see. UTEP needs money too.

I agree. I said as much on April 1st (fittingly, I suppose) in post #18 of the "Conference Realignment and UTEP - Again" thread I started that day. I said in that post,

"I'd like for Dr. Wilson to simply be aware that realignment is coming. TV contracts will begin expiring after the 2022/2023 season and conferences don't wait until the last minute to put the pieces in place to maximize revenue. And knowing that, to position UTEP in the best light possible.

Believe me, I know that will be a Heculean task but she's the school President. It's her job to get UTEP into the best conference situation possible."

Conference Realignment and UTEP - Again Thread from April 1, 2021

I don't really expect the C-USA commish to do anything to help UTEP. My previous post (#127) regarding Ms. MacLeod was filled with snark.

I’m new to the forum, but have enjoyed the forums for years.If UTEP doesn’t get an invitation to the MWC should they pursue a regional conference with schools from Texas, Louisiana and Arkansas,etc?With me living back East I want to thank you all for keeping me up to date with UTEP! I’m looking forward to the football and basketball season.

Reactions: MinerFan79
Kappy has a good article up on krod about the current realignment hubbub and UTEPs interests. He says that our new president is interested in getting UTEP relocated conference wise and that Natalicio is rumored to have nixed a previous opportunity to move to the MWC.
I've seen talk about these rumors before, but I've never seen any firm evidence that they're true. (The fact that Kappy talks about the rumors is the best evidence I've ever seen, but still, he calls them rumors. Nothing confirmed.)

Is there anything more substantial out there to confirm that Natalicio actually did this?

And if she did veto an actual invitation to the MWC, what reason could she possibly have to do this? Did the idiot east Texas alumni convince her that our future was with SMU and Houston? Is there some sort of academic relationship we share with other conference members (such as Rice) that somehow helped us achieve Tier 1 research status?

I'm struggling to come up with a good reason she would actually do this.

Reactions: T-6 Miner
"According to Pete Thamel of Yahoo Sports, the Big 12 Conference sent a cease and desist order to ESPN on Wednesday.

The letter allegedly demands ESPN end "all actions that may harm the conference and its members and that it not communicate with the Big 12 Conference's existing members or any NCAA conference regarding the Big 12 conference's members, possible conference realignment or potential financial incentive or outcomes related to possible conference realignment," according to Thamel."

In other words, they can't report the news on the Big XII.

https://www.si.com/college/westvirginia/big-12/report-big-12-sends-cease-and-desist-letter-to-espn

"“It is difficult to understand how an Oklahoma institution of higher education would follow the University of Texas to the detriment of the State of Oklahoma," Shrum wrote. "Nevertheless, we are turning our eyes to the future and looking at what is best for Oklahoma State University. Over the last few days, I have received countless phone calls, texts, and emails from high-ranking officials and members of the Cowboy family showing their support for OSU as we navigate the road ahead. Regardless of what comes next, OSU is dedicated to the State of Oklahoma..."- Oklahoma State University President Dr. Kayse Shrum

“Like many across our state and within the footprint of our league, I’ve been extremely disappointed by the actions and intentions of our friends in Austin and Norman. From day one of the Big 12 Conference’s existence, Texas Tech has been a proud and trustworthy partner,-Texas Tech University Chancellor Tedd L. Mitchell

https://247sports.com/college/texas...2-to-further-deteriorate-join-sec--168384892/

MW commish has stated TT asked about joining the MW in 2010 according to the guru's tweet above?

"“It is difficult to understand how an Oklahoma institution of higher education would follow the University of Texas to the detriment of the State of Oklahoma," Shrum wrote. "Nevertheless, we are turning our eyes to the future and looking at what is best for Oklahoma State University. Over the last few days, I have received countless phone calls, texts, and emails from high-ranking officials and members of the Cowboy family showing their support for OSU as we navigate the road ahead. Regardless of what comes next, OSU is dedicated to the State of Oklahoma..."- Oklahoma State University President Dr. Kayse Shrum

“Like many across our state and within the footprint of our league, I’ve been extremely disappointed by the actions and intentions of our friends in Austin and Norman. From day one of the Big 12 Conference’s existence, Texas Tech has been a proud and trustworthy partner,-Texas Tech University Chancellor Tedd L. Mitchell

https://247sports.com/college/texas...2-to-further-deteriorate-join-sec--168384892/

MW commish has stated TT asked about joining the MW in 2010 according to the guru's tweet above?
Yes, TT would never leave for greener pastures and leave their conference mates behind. Didn't they already do that?

The dominoes have begun to fall.

Seems rather pointless to wait another 4 years for this to happen, but I know TV contracts have a lot to do with that.
Negotiations will begin on actual exit dates and $$$. I would think they will be playing in the SEC no later than fall of 2023. It'll cost them though.

The Big 12 (8) athletic directors meet tomorrow but we are left to speculate if it's for negotiating the big 2 departure or possibly to recommend who to invite to the presidents.

It will be interesting to see if the College football bowl subdivision officially separates into two divisions (or the big boys separate from the NCAA).

Reactions: MineroFanatico
Negotiations will begin on actual exit dates and $$$. I would think they will be playing in the SEC no later than fall of 2023. It'll cost them though.

The Big 12 (8) athletic directors meet tomorrow but we are left to speculate if it's for negotiating the big 2 departure or possibly to recommend who to invite to the presidents.
I seriously doubt it will be until 2025, but we will see. Big “8” will be broke off a ton of cash, but not sure what the damage will be in the long run.

Let UT and OU buy their way out. The cost would be steep. Either way the B12 will be around until 2025. All the other members might as well capitalize to the fullest extent.

"It puts a bow on a week of formalities that will ultimately make the SEC the first 16-team superconference."

Not factually accurate, as the WAC did it first. Then again, I guess it's how you define "super conference".

Will the Big 12 remain a lame duck conference for the next four years? I can't see that happening. This coming season may be its last. But all that rescheduling of games is going to be a bitch!

Reactions: MinerFan79
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT