ADVERTISEMENT

OT: UT and OU to the SEC?

This is not the same A&M who was in the Big 12. Same goes for Texas (once solid program, now forever stuck in mediocrity). A&M will win the national title in 2021.
01fabc1fb04e559d8970f72faed7b7dd.gif

Reactions: utep-piggy
Negotiations will begin on actual exit dates and $$$. I would think they will be playing in the SEC no later than fall of 2023. It'll cost them though.

The Big 12 (8) athletic directors meet tomorrow but we are left to speculate if it's for negotiating the big 2 departure or possibly to recommend who to invite to the presidents.
They should invite Nebraska back. Nebraska left in the first place in large part to get away from Texas. Now there's no more Texas. They've been unhappy in the Big Ten, and quite vocally over pandemic rules. I think there's some chance they would say yes.

Reactions: MinerFan79
They should invite Nebraska back. Nebraska left in the first place in large part to get away from Texas. Now there's no more Texas. They've been unhappy in the Big Ten, and quite vocally over pandemic rules. I think there's some chance they would say yes.

Ok, now that's thinking out of the box. Just about everything I've read has me thinking the Kansas and Iowa State would jump to the Big 10 but it's pretty well established that Nebraska has lost their mojo since they moved to the Big 10. A return to the Big 12 would be ****ing huge and a big part of keeping the remaining Big 12 together.

Ok, now that's thinking out of the box. Just about everything I've read has me thinking the Kansas and Iowa State would jump to the Big 10 but it's pretty well established that Nebraska has lost their mojo since they moved to the Big 10. A return to the Big 12 would be ****ing huge and a big part of keeping the remaining Big 12 together.
But that’s the issue. The Big 12 is worth a lot less now that UT and OU are leaving. Nebraska is worth a lot less than they were when they joined the Big 10. They would take a significant financial hit by going to the Big 12. That’s why they won’t do it.

This is not the same A&M who was in the Big 12. Same goes for Texas (once solid program, now forever stuck in mediocrity). A&M will win the national title in 2021.
Who’s talking about those days? I’m referring to A&Ms behavior over the last week. Joke of a program and they know their one selling point of “the only SEC school in Texas” is no longer valid.

But that’s the issue. The Big 12 is worth a lot less now that UT and OU are leaving. Nebraska is worth a lot less than they were when they joined the Big 10. They would take a significant financial hit by going to the Big 12. That’s why they won’t do it.

Yes, you are correct. Both the Big 12 and Nebraska individually have lost value. Lots of value. In Nebraska's case, it's because they've been unable to win in the Big 10. They're not worth now what they would be if they were winning. Of course, the same can be said for *any* school including UTEP.

Anyway, my point was simply that if Nebraska were to return to the Big 12 -- consider it a trade with West Virginia bouncing over to the ACC -- it could help stabilize and potentially build back *some* of the value each has lost.

The Big 12 will never be worth what is was with UT and OU but it would still be worth lots more than all other non-P5 conferences and help bring in a couple more schools who would love to be in a conference with Nebraska. A healthy, winning 'husker football program would do wonders for the Big 12.

The Big 12 would, of course, need to add back more schools or they'd simply be a revised Big 8. And even that wouldn't be so bad.

I don't know if there will ever be a more opportune time for UTEP, the city of El Paso, and every other entity tied to the Sun Bowl and annual Sun Bowl game to come together for the betterment of them all. They MUST come together as one as sell themselves to the remaining Big 12.

Adding UTEP and Houston and, with the expectation that West Virginia leaves for the ACC, convincing Nebraska to return -- hat tip to Mr. Wildcat -- I think would help keep the Big 12 a viable and attractive conference even without UT and OU.

Want the renewed Big 12 to be a little stronger and actually have 12 schools? Pry Colorado back from the PAC 12 and invite the Air Force Academy. I know, I know. I'm dreaming. Fine. Don't pinch me. Let me sleep for the love of the god that I don't believe in but that you do.

"Baylor’s proposed basketball arena could be in jeopardy.
Rhoades said he will meet with Baylor officials in the near future to discuss whether the university can go forward with plans to build the new basketball pavilion with potentially less TV revenue and fewer contributions from donors if the Big 12 is no longer considered a Power 5 conference."

https://wacotrib.com/sports/college...cle_da693f2e-f3ea-11eb-9e46-4bdbdabe569a.html

I don't know if there will ever be a more opportune time for UTEP, the city of El Paso, and every other entity tied to the Sun Bowl and annual Sun Bowl game to come together for the betterment of them all. They MUST come together as one as sell themselves to the remaining Big 12.

Adding UTEP and Houston and, with the expectation that West Virginia leaves for the ACC, convincing Nebraska to return -- hat tip to Mr. Wildcat -- I think would help keep the Big 12 a viable and attractive conference even without UT and OU.

Want the renewed Big 12 to be a little stronger and actually have 12 schools? Pry Colorado back from the PAC 12 and invite the Air Force Academy. I know, I know. I'm dreaming. Fine. Don't pinch me. Let me sleep for the love of the god that I don't believe in but that you do.
You have better luck convincing the Sun Bowl Association to dedicating a spot in the Sun Bowl to the Mountain West, in exchange for granting UTEP admission into the conference.

The city of El Paso couldn’t even build an arena that was voted on by the tax payers. I would have very little faith in them trying to convince the Big 12 to let in a school that can barely compete in a weak CUSA. The Big 12 has no interest in UTEP. UTEP is the last program you want to add to your conference when your conference is on life support.

Last edited:

I'm hoping expansion decisions and the trickle down effect won't happen until next March when UTEP has produced good fb and mbb seasons with strong attendance that gets the attention of a better conference. Any better conference.

The city of El Paso couldn’t even build an arena that was voted on by the tax payers. I would have very little faith in them trying to convince the Big 12 to let in a school that can barely compete in a weak CUSA. The Big 12 has no interest in UTEP. UTEP is the last program you want to add to your conference when your conference is on life support.
UTEP is pretty much the last choice for any conference thanks to Stull, Floyd, and Kugler.

UTEP would be kicked out of CUSA if they could and it was a normalized thing to do. Last years COVID issues and current immigration stories have done nothing but hurt UTEP and El Paso.

Reactions: TxRdKiller
The Big 12 and PAC 12 commissioners are meeting today. Wonder what's up with that?
They’re meeting together? I haven’t a credible source report that. Iowa St and West Virginia will never be in a conference with UCLA and USC. You can put your 20 team mega conference fantasies to rest.

They’re meeting together? I haven’t a credible source report that. Iowa St and West Virginia will never be in a conference with UCLA and USC. You can put your 20 team mega conference fantasies to rest.

I dont dream of mega conferences, at all. I dream of UTEP getting better in athletics and joining a worthwhile conference.

Will @UTEPAthletics consider investing in upgrading their facilities? It is not just about winning.

You have better luck convincing the Sun Bowl Association to dedicating a spot in the Sun Bowl to the Mountain West, in exchange for granting UTEP admission into the conference.

I agree. I'm just suggesting that the time has never been and will never be better to set our sights higher. If we miss, we miss.

No doubt the university, the city, and everyone else with ties to the Sun Bowl would need to show the kind of leadership and creative, outside-the-box thinking that they've never shown before. I'm hanging my feeble notion on the idea that we *can* be great again at least in basketball. We were once a highly respected basketball school and there is much excitement around Coach Joe right now.

I too realize that my idea is just that; a far flung, wishing upon a star fantasy that will never come true. Still, what's the harm in trying? Not making an effort only reinforces the ineptitude of the current leadership of all entities involved. Making the effort will at least show other conferences that we are serious about athletics and tired of being stuck in a do nothing, go nowhere conference that makes no ****ing sense whatsoever.

Reactions: MinerInWisconsin

That would be great.

The sad reality is the only place we're going is with the CUSA schools left behind from the
rumored split. Add NMSU and Texas St and it's a decent tight conference.

UTEP

NMSU

UNT

UTSA

RICE

Texas St

La Tech

Eventually we will poach the Texas WAC schools once they're FBS.

The sad reality is the only place we're going is with the CUSA schools left behind from the

UTEP

NMSU

UNT

UTSA

RICE

Texas St

La Tech

[Rice since 1996] "Whadda ya mean you got no more liquor?!!! Gawd dammit! Gimme another drink I said!!"

UTEP

NMSU

UNT

UTSA

RICE

Texas St

La Tech

I would not be unhappy at all if the Eastern cusa split off leaving their exit fees behind. They bitch way too much about the Texas schools and especially about having to travel all the way to El Paso. You would think they were asked to cross the Gobi desert on foot with no water.

Rumors from a Marshall twitter account about Marshall and ODU pushing to join the A10 for all sports except football. That is a quality basketball conference. Football would be indy and form a scheduling alliance with other eastern independents such as UConn, UMass, Army and Liberty.

So instead of a cusa split it sounds like they just want out and into a better basketball league. That will put a damper on all the other eastern cusa schools who are currently pounding their chests about breaking away and creating a super league made up of WKU, MT, Charlotte, FAU, etc. Lol.

For UTEP to do something like that would require a quality basketball conference to join plus more football independents in the west/southwest.

Reactions: TxRdKiller
Rumors from a Marshall twitter account about Marshall and ODU pushing to join the A10 for all sports except football. That is a quality basketball conference. Football would be indy and form a scheduling alliance with other eastern independents such as UConn, UMass, Army and Liberty.

So instead of a cusa split it sounds like they just want out and into a better basketball league. That will put a damper on all the other eastern cusa schools who are currently pounding their chests about breaking away and creating a super league made up of WKU, MT, Charlotte, FAU, etc. Lol.

For UTEP to do something like that would require a quality basketball conference to join plus more football independents in the west/southwest.

They are talking with UCONN Army and Libery about forming and Eastern based football conference. UCONN, Army, Liberty, Marshall and ODU would make up the core. Most likely James Madison, UMASS and possibly Villanova would join. Marshall won't leave CUSA without an FBS football league to join. Indy isn't an option for Marshall or ODU.

They are talking with UCONN Army and Libery about forming and Eastern based football conference. UCONN, Army, Liberty, Marshall and ODU would make up the core. Most likely James Madison, UMASS and possibly Villanova would join. Marshall won't leave CUSA without an FBS football league to join. Indy isn't an option for Marshall or ODU.
The UConn AD apparently is suggesting a group of independent football teams create a quasi football only conference placing other sports in separate conferences.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT