ADVERTISEMENT

OT: What is going on at utexas- austin?

Bob Stull does the same damn thing here, just for different circumstances and different reasons, or what have you. Nobody is a cunningly greedier AD than Stull. I'll put Patterson head-to-head with Stull any time, any where, any day. Patterson is a "for profit" first product of the American sports industry and he's doing what he was hired to do, and same goes for Stull. Stull would probably miss a family members Baptism or Bar Mitzvah, but dammit, not one damn miner fan is going be selling UTEP mugs, Xmas ornaments or tshirts without the proper legal licensing procedures...or by golly, that "Cease and Desist" order will be served so fast, the ink on the order will still be moist.

UT wants to keep up with the Michigan's, Alabama's and Florida's for a massive athletic program, they need Patterson. Deep in the article one UT alum or supporter said it best, "change is hard". I know a lot of alums and they want the big time program (I'm married to one)...... the devil says how they dance.

Last edited:
Bob Stull does the same damn thing here, just for different circumstances and different reasons, or what have you. Nobody is a cunningly greedier AD than Stull. I'll put Patterson head-to-head with Stull any time, any where, any day. Patterson is a "for profit" first product of the American sports industry and he's doing what he was hired to do, and same goes for Stull. Stull would probably miss a family members Baptism or Bar Mitzvah, but dammit, not one damn miner fan is going be selling UTEP mugs, Xmas ornaments or tshirts without the proper legal licensing procedures...or by golly, that "Cease and Desist" order will be served so fast, the ink on the order will still be moist.

UT wants to keep up with the Michigan's, Alabama's and Florida's for a massive athletic program, they need Patterson. Deep in the article one UT alum or supporter said it best, "change is hard". I know a lot of alums and they want the big time program (I'm married to one)...... the devil says how they dance.

I live in Austin and the word is on the local sports talk is that Patterson has lost the Alumni and Boosters. My guess is UT will show him the door within a year.

Stull and Patterson are apples to oranges. UT rolls in more money for it's athletics than any University in the country. Including Notre Dame, Miami, Ohio St., and Michigan. They are in no way hurting considering the amount of money they having coming from the boosters and alumni. Any losses in influx of money to UT is most likely caused by Patterson nickle and diming those groups who are seeing little in return, thus alienating them. And if you think UT let's Austinites sell unlicensed Longhorn gear then you are off your rocker. The UT Longhorn brand is a marketing machine and you can be sure the institution is not going to let a penny slip by without the school getting their due.

Stull on the other hand has to deal with the lack of big money boosters and alumni that UT enjoys. I'm not saying UTEP boosters and alumni don't donate, but nowhere near the scale UT's boosters and alumnus do. He needs to be more creative on how to get those extra funds into our school. Do I think there needs to be improvement? You bet. UTEP's self promotion is crap. I mean I understand we don't have a channel just dedicated to UTEP sports like the Horns do, but heck you're lucky if you see an ad for the Miners on TV promoting the games. Maybe you will see a couple of billboards in town. It's really lame. But to be fair to him, in the last 15 years our facilities have really improved from the time I went to school. And I realize that much of those improvements came from our donors. He still had to do something right for them to feel those funds would be used correctly. I don't think UT donors have that confidence now.

Stull on the other hand has to deal with the lack of big money boosters and alumni that UT enjoys. I'm not saying UTEP boosters and alumni don't donate, but nowhere near the scale UT's boosters and alumnus do. He needs to be more creative on how to get those extra funds into our school. Do I think there needs to be improvement? You bet. UTEP's self promotion is crap. I mean I understand we don't have a channel just dedicated to UTEP sports like the Horns do, but heck you're lucky if you see an ad for the Miners on TV promoting the games. Maybe you will see a couple of billboards in town. It's really lame. But to be fair to him, in the last 15 years our facilities have really improved from the time I went to school. And I realize that much of those improvements came from our donors. He still had to do something right for them to feel those funds would be used correctly. I don't think UT donors have that confidence now.

You can't compare UTEP to UT when it comes to money and boosters. You're right Stull needs to do something else with the Athletic Department. I don't know how UTEP can advertise more that won't be a waste of money. The people watching TV are the ones buying the season tickets and already going to the games. I've seen commercials for them on there before. Is advertising on Twitter and Facebook really making anyone go to the games? I think UTEP needs better promotions. Simply just saying we're playing UTSA on Saturday night isn't good enough. Why should we spend our time/money going to the game? What does the Sun Bowl/DHC offer that is better? Aside from obviously seeing it "live"

You mention that facilities have improved, but how are we different from any other school? Hasn't NMSU improved their facilities in the last 15 years too? A big reason why facilities were improved was UTEP's exclusion from the Mountain West. I would say that was a bigger factor than anything that Stull has personally done. UTEP knew they needed to "step their game up" just to try and catch up. Just my two cents.

Stull has a mixed legacy. He has stabalized the athletic department and brought in a lot of money. He has brought alot of coorporate sponsors in. We have never had the amount of coorporate sponsorship money hs we do now. We have the highest recruiting budgets in cusa for football and basketball and the highest assistant coaches salaries.

On the bad side Stull turned down the MWC twice, which was a huge mistake. He overlooks midlevel donors the guys who cant give seven figures but can give six figures. Stull has consistantly blew the mid level guys off and made them feel unwelcome which has cost him millions in donations.
Another mistake was drop 16 million on a basketball practice facility when we dont have an ipf for football. Football is the cash cow and uteps only way up into another conference dropping that kind of cash into a basketball facility was a mistake.

I hedge on making a final judgement on Stull because i think football is on the cusp of being a consistent winner. A consistently good football program would certainly enhance Stulls legacy. Also fundraising is underway for a new pressbox with luxery suites and club seating. It is the biggest most expensive project in the history of UTEP athletics. It will make the sun bowl one of the nicest facilities in the country.

You can't compare UTEP to UT when it comes to money and boosters. You're right Stull needs to do something else with the Athletic Department. I don't know how UTEP can advertise more that won't be a waste of money. The people watching TV are the ones buying the season tickets and already going to the games. I've seen commercials for them on there before. Is advertising on Twitter and Facebook really making anyone go to the games? I think UTEP needs better promotions. Simply just saying we're playing UTSA on Saturday night isn't good enough. Why should we spend our time/money going to the game? What does the Sun Bowl/DHC offer that is better? Aside from obviously seeing it "live"

You mention that facilities have improved, but how are we different from any other school? Hasn't NMSU improved their facilities in the last 15 years too? A big reason why facilities were improved was UTEP's exclusion from the Mountain West. I would say that was a bigger factor than anything that Stull has personally done. UTEP knew they needed to "step their game up" just to try and catch up. Just my two cents.

Agreed. UTEP cannot go dollar for dollar or even half a dollar on advertising their programs versus UT or any other big program. However, you touched on something I've been stomping for awhile now. UTEP has to be innovative in their promotions and marketing of the program's that'll make the most money. Now that doesn't mean free bobble-head night. The approach has to be a mix of quick-on-their-feet social media, video and getting young people - including those students on campus excited about the program. I recently read where they decided to bring the video production back in-house instead of out sourcing it. That's a great first step. Yet, marketing a program isn't just in-season promos. It's a year round commitment with a targeted goal and a clearly defined message. They do that, they'll reap the rewards.

Good post, but do you honestly think anyone on the fence about going to games really cares where the video is produced? They need to find a way to get butts in the seats.

How is UTEP supposed to sell the UIW game? UTEP will likely be 1-2 and its an opponent nobody cares about. Why not discount concessions? Have a special concession only available that night? Have a special craft beer that you give away that night? Something. The game will be a boring blowout, gotta sell it as something other than football that night.

Good post, but do you honestly think anyone on the fence about going to games really cares where the video is produced? They need to find a way to get butts in the seats.

How is UTEP supposed to sell the UIW game? UTEP will likely be 1-2 and its an opponent nobody cares about. Why not discount concessions? Have a special concession only available that night? Have a special craft beer that you give away that night? Something. The game will be a boring blowout, gotta sell it as something other than football that night.

It's not a matter of people going to game "caring over where the videos are made." They won't. It's about UTEP getting control over their message and having UTEP's media students develop the promos. That's the first pin to focus on - getting the student body excited. The second is the community via high schools and recruits. As much as people grind their teeth over it, alternate unis gets the conversation started. Just for the sake of discussion, it was recently reported Baylor has over 120 different uniform combinations. That's Oregon-like excessive. But Baylor isn't doing that cause they're bored. They do it because recruits love it and anything you can do legally to get a recruit excited about attending your school, is a double thumbs up. That's just a few examples, but for the most part UTEP has a clean sheet of paper to work with.

The second part of your statement we already discussed. Scheduling better, higher profile competition helps with that "who are they playing again" question.

"On the bad side Stull turned down the MWC twice, which was a huge mistake. He overlooks midlevel donors the guys who cant give seven figures but can give six figures. Stull has consistantly blew the mid level guys off and made them feel unwelcome which has cost him millions in donations.
Another mistake was drop 16 million on a basketball practice facility when we dont have an ipf for football. Football is the cash cow and uteps only way up into another conference dropping that kind of cash into a basketball facility was a mistake.

I hedge on making a final judgement on Stull because i think football is on the cusp of being a consistent winner. A consistently good football program would certainly enhance Stulls legacy. Also fundraising is underway for a new pressbox with luxery suites and club seating. It is the biggest most expensive project in the history of UTEP athletics. It will make the sun bowl one of the nicest facilities in the country."

Why would they leave money on the table? That is money that can be used not just for football and men's basketball, but to improve your aging facilities like Kidd Field and Memorial Gym. I love the idea of having an multipurpose indoor practice facility, but Dr. Natalicio shot that down during the Charlie Bailey era around 1998 or 1999. It is good to see that they are trying to raise money to upgrade the Sun Bowl, but instead of just the press box w/ luxury suites and club seating why not the entire structure. They need a better drainage system, LED field lighting, upgraded locker rooms that have at least one loading dock.

Reactions: Tribalwarriorx
Winning and quality games are obviously key.

The new scoreboards were a nice and needed improvement to the game experience.

The food at games is TERRIBLE, and the beer/wine selections not much better.

While certainly a UTEP encyclopedia, Teicher to me is tired and even negative when what they need there is someone fresh and exciting.

Reactions: Tribalwarriorx
They should get a younger guy like Chihuahuas broadcaster Tim Hagerty. Tim is exciting to listen to and provides a lot of great baseball insight.

Are you being serious? He's way more boring than Teicher. I thought the same as you, but I listened to him recently and he's so monotone. He knows a lot, but I would not approve of him doing UTEP games.

Teicher does need to step down soon. He doesn't even do MinerTalk anymore because he got tired of dodging real questions. He got lazy and down right mean. I called him a few times and he would say stuff like "You should ask him yourself", "Thanks for the call", or he would talk about something positive unrelated.

This is another reason why UTEP has a disconnect from their fan base.

Are you being serious? He's way more boring than Teicher. I thought the same as you, but I listened to him recently and he's so monotone. He knows a lot, but I would not approve of him doing UTEP games.

Teicher does need to step down soon. He doesn't even do MinerTalk anymore because he got tired of dodging real questions. He got lazy and down right mean. I called him a few times and he would say stuff like "You should ask him yourself", "Thanks for the call", or he would talk about something positive unrelated.

This is another reason why UTEP has a disconnect from their fan base.

Tim Hagerty has done some UTEP women's basketball games and he did well. I don't like John because he's a homer. Tim isn't.

Baseball doesn't have as many exciting plays as football, so unless you hear something like "it's over the left fielder's head and over the wall", the bulk of baseball broadcasts will be mostly hearing stories and facts. I don't think Tim's voice is monotone at all.

Last edited:
"On the bad side Stull turned down the MWC twice, which was a huge mistake. He overlooks midlevel donors the guys who cant give seven figures but can give six figures. Stull has consistantly blew the mid level guys off and made them feel unwelcome which has cost him millions in donations.

I hedge on making a final judgement on Stull because i think football is on the cusp of being a consistent winner. A consistently good football program would certainly enhance Stulls legacy. Also fundraising is underway for a new pressbox with luxery suites and club seating. It is the biggest most expensive project in the history of UTEP athletics. It will make the sun bowl one of the nicest facilities in the country."

Why would they leave money on the table? That is money that can be used not just for football and men's basketball, but to improve your aging facilities like Kidd Field and Memorial Gym. I love the idea of having an multipurpose indoor practice facility, but Dr. Natalicio shot that down during the Charlie Bailey era around 1998 or 1999. It is good to see that they are trying to raise money to upgrade the Sun Bowl, but instead of just the press box w/ luxury suites and club seating why not the entire structure. They need a better drainage system, LED field lighting, upgraded locker rooms that have at least one loading dock.

I think Stull was hedging his bets on the basketball program being "the" cash cow for UTEP. Unfortunately, he placed all his money on Timmy. Bad move. To the chagrin of basketball fans, football has shown over the long haul to be the big money maker. The problem I see UTEP having is they're in the wrong conference to do it (conference alliance to lower tier bowls and that poorly crafted conference tv contract). Certainly if they moved to the MWC, he'd better do a much better deal than UNLV got.

Reactions: El Paso Chihuahuas
Tim Hagerty has done some UTEP women's basketball games and he did well. I don't like John because he's a homer. Tim isn't..

Bob, a lot of that is because John Teicher is an employee of UTEP. He can't keep it as real as someone like Kappy can. Tim Hagerty would have to follow the same rules and would probably come off similar to Teich.

Bob, a lot of that is because John Teicher is an employee of UTEP. He can't keep it as real as someone like Kappy can. Tim Hagerty would have to follow the same rules and would probably come off similar to Teich.

Tim is an employee for the Chihuahuas as well. He is the manager of broadcast and media relations

Tim is an employee for the Chihuahuas as well. He is the manager of broadcast and media relations

Bob, the El Paso Chihuahuas and UTEP are different employers. We all know who Tim Hagerty is. While he did a great job filling in for some Miner basketball games, he would have to be more 'Teich like' if he took over that job. UTEP and the El Paso Chihuahuas are different gigs.

Bob, the El Paso Chihuahuas and UTEP are different employers. We all know who Tim Hagerty is. While he did a great job filling in for some Miner basketball games, he would have to be more 'Teich like' if he took over that job. UTEP and the El Paso Chihuahuas are different gigs.

Who said they are the same gig?

John is an employee for UTEP and Tim is an employee for the Chihuahuas. You said John is a homer because he is an employee of UTEP. Tim is an employee of the Chihuahuas and isn't a homer.

Who said they are the same gig?

John is an employee for UTEP and Tim is an employee for the Chihuahuas. You said John is a homer because he is an employee of UTEP. Tim is an employee of the Chihuahuas and isn't a homer.

I said Teich does his job the way UTEP wants him to. The EP Chihuahuas is a different organization and does things differently.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT