ADVERTISEMENT

OT: What's Next for Borderland Sports?

Bingo! They supported the game -- wait for it -- in MEXICO! Not in El Paso or any other U.S. city!
Do you know how popular the NFL is in Mexico? Given the immense support they show for it one can only logically assume they will travel to see their favorite team play. We all do. We all go see our favorite team play outside our home city. Why wouldn’t they? I hope you know not everyone in Mexico is broke and without a passport.

Reactions: MINER.JAY
That thing's gonna need floatation like the one the Mexicans take to Russia.
giphy.gif

I don’t know numbers. But I do know Mexico supports American sporting events. Do you which city holds the record for the highest attended NFL game?

Hint: It’s not a city in America.

Your hint is not correct. Mexico City is in America, North America. Your hint should have been it is not in the U.S.A.

I always thought the NFL missed the boat, when they let the Chargers go to LA which is a debacle. They should have got a stadium in Tijuana. The NFL is very popular in Mexico. It's way more popular in Mexico than it will ever be in the UK. However, the NFL is hell bent on putting a team in London.

The Chargers would have been the perfect team to put in Mexico. The NFLPA is againt putting a team in Mexico for a some very legitimate reasons: mainly security and things like schools for the players kids and overall quality of life. A team in Tijuana could have avoided all these problems. The team could've kept their facilities in San Diego. The player could all live in San Diego and their kids attend school in San Diego. The only time they would need to go across the border would be for game days. The families and friends could be shuttled over the border in charter buses and put in a secure place in the stadium.

This would've been a win win for the NFL and the Chargers. The Chargers value would increase probably three fold. They would become Mexico's team. The NFL gets an international team and the NFLPA would have no issues. LA is not a long term solution. In a few years itd inevitable the NFL will make Spanos take hos team back to San Diego and be for forgiveness.

Reactions: JCorona
Are indoor soccer stadiums a thing? People want an indoor UTEP practice facility. Maybe UTEP could partner with Mountain Star and they could split the costs to build an indoor soccer stadium that doubles as UTEP's indoor football practice facility. Just trying to think outside the box.

Are indoor soccer stadiums a thing? People want an indoor UTEP practice facility. Maybe UTEP could partner with Mountain Star and they could split the costs to build an indoor soccer stadium that doubles as UTEP's indoor football practice facility. Just trying to think outside the box.

I wonder how tricky a joint University/Private Company venture is. I’m sure things like division of use of the facity/maintenance costs/taxes could get messy. I’m sure it’s been done though, but I’m curious to know how they hammer those things out

I always thought the NFL missed the boat, when they let the Chargers go to LA which is a debacle. They should have got a stadium in Tijuana. The NFL is very popular in Mexico. It's way more popular in Mexico than it will ever be in the UK. However, the NFL is hell bent on putting a team in London.

The Chargers would have been the perfect team to put in Mexico. The NFLPA is againt putting a team in Mexico for a some very legitimate reasons: mainly security and things like schools for the players kids and overall quality of life. A team in Tijuana could have avoided all these problems. The team could've kept their facilities in San Diego. The player could all live in San Diego and their kids attend school in San Diego. The only time they would need to go across the border would be for game days. The families and friends could be shuttled over the border in charter buses and put in a secure place in the stadium.

This would've been a win win for the NFL and the Chargers. The Chargers value would increase probably three fold. They would become Mexico's team. The NFL gets an international team and the NFLPA would have no issues. LA is not a long term solution. In a few years itd inevitable the NFL will make Spanos take hos team back to San Diego and be for forgiveness.
I dont see that happening. Plus the Mexican population in L.A. alone is about 3x larger than Tijuana.

How can one even tell whether the people in attendance are there from Mexico, Texas , or New Mexico?

Anyway if it’s an important event Mexico fans will travel. During the CCL Tigres fans completely took over Houston. Every single Mexico soccer game in the USA is near capacity or sold out. We’re not talking about those cute 20k stadiums MLS teams have trouble selling out. How many are Mexican-Americans and how many are Mexicans that want to see their country play? FMF has basically eliminated any non WC qualifying game from being played in Mexico. Big fights also bring the Mexicans in full force to the USA.

If we take concerts out then what major event has El Paso held? I know for a fact there was a heavy Juarez influence at the JCCjr fight. Most of the friendly soccer games I attended in EP were organized with Juarez in mind. If they hadn’t crossed the border the pathetic attendance would have been even worse without them.
MLS and Liga MX each have 2 teams that average 40k or more. Overall the Mexican teams average more because that is their major sport.

I’ve helped derail this conversation long enough.

The only evidence we really have of Mexico fans traveling is during the CONCACAF Champions League. During the Tigres vs Dynamo game it was full of Tigres fan. There have been so many instances during the last ten years of a Liga MX team taking up a majority of the seats at an MLS stadium. If their team is playing an important game in the USA they will come see it.

But if it’s some meaningless friendly between two b team Liga MX squads then I agree there’s no reason for them to come over here. Kind of like NFL fans wont travel to Mexico to watch a pre season game.

Reactions: kickballpro
I think the next step is to build up the teams we already have. It will start with both soccer teams getting new stadiums.

Juarez has to make the ligilla and avoid regulation at all cost. The Locomotive have to continue their excellent form and make a playoff run.

If Mountain Star can get the teams on both sides of the border winning championships and selling out stadiums it will get the attention of the mls.

If they have not started building a new stadium, they should model it after something like this:

I just attended the Mexico vs Canada game this past Wednesday in Denver. All I have to say is that Mexican fans travel well. I saw all types of Mexico fans, there were Hispanics, Mexicans, fans from Denver, out of town, and out of country. If they love the team they'll make the trip. That easy

I just attended the Mexico vs Canada game this past Wednesday in Denver. All I have to say is that Mexican fans travel well. I saw all types of Mexico fans, there were Hispanics, Mexicans, fans from Denver, out of town, and out of country. If they love the team they'll make the trip. That easy
How did you differentiate the Mexico fans?

How did you differentiate the Mexico fans?
At the games I attend it’s usually the ones with the Mexico flags or signs with the city or state they are from written on it. After a few words with them I find out they traveled for the game from there.

DE5WDH7XYAA2HTP

This is a pic of a fan I took from the last time El Tri played in San Antonio at the Gold Cup. After conversing with him for a few minutes I found out he had driven from Juarez to San Antonio for the game.

I’ll be at Houston on Saturday for the Mexico game and I’m always on the lookout for stuff like that and usually post it to my Twitter.

Lol, No, that would be a logistical nightmare, as well as a terrible game day experience, crossing there and back. Not a good idea at all. Chargers should have stayed in SD.

I talk to people lmao
On a serious note, I can easily tell the difference between a Mexican from Mexico and a Mexican American. It’s in the attitude, the facial expressions, the clothes they are wearing, the language they speak, and etc. After a few seconds of talking with them I’m able to confirm.

On a serious note, I can easily tell the difference between a Mexican from Mexico and a Mexican American. It’s in the attitude, the facial expressions, the clothes they are wearing, the language they speak, and etc. After a few seconds of talking with them I’m able to confirm.

Yes exactly this

Thanks for the legit thoughts. Are you CBP or PD Corona?

Naw man. I have spent a lot of time on the other side of the border when I go visit family throughout my entire life. At least to me personally there’s a noticeable difference between the two. But I can comprehend why to others we all just look the same.

I don’t mean my last sentence to come off snidely. If you asked me to point out the difference between a North Korean man and a South Korean one, I wouldn’t have a clue. On their side of the world they can differentiate each other.

Last edited:
Reactions: axingfools1
It was a serious question.

So you go into a stadium and you talk to them and you can tell where ALL the Mexicans are from? Lmao back at ya.

My bad bro, didn't think you were being serious. I speak to the people around me wherever I'm at, whether I'm in a line for beer, in my seat, or fans approaching you before or after the game because of your gear. Most of the time they start the conversations with me and we ask where we're from and so forth. Not ALL the fans, but the ones around me

Reactions: axingfools1
Maybe we can get an Ultimate Frisbee Team. El Paso would look good on Stadium Sports.

The Indoor Facility features:

• 8 lane, 300 Meter Beynon 2000 Surface with a 10 lane 150 Meter front and back stretch
  • Two UCS high jump pits
  • Two UCS pole vault pits
  • Two long jump / triple jump pits
  • Two shot put circles
  • Portable hammer/discus circle and cage
  • Seating for over 5,000

trackfieldstadium.png

http://media.cleveland.com/pdgraphics_impact/photo/02cgspireshorterjpg-8736b895e53800dd.jpg
https://www.athleticbusiness.com/outdoor/three-ways-fabric-structures-protect-athletes.html

I would be curious to know how one of those canopy facilities would withstand the winds in El Paso year after year.

Two words.... Rug Be. I have no understanding of the game, but we need one of them teams in El Paso. Watching the game and trying to figure out the rules and strategy is the best drunk activity ever.

Two words.... Rug Be. I have no understanding of the game, but we need one of them teams in El Paso. Watching the game and trying to figure out the rules and strategy is the best drunk activity ever.
To add to the confusion, there are two flavors of rugby: Rugby Union and Rugby League. Outside of the UK and Australia (and New Zealand), rugby is almost always Union, but within the UK, Union is traditionally for the snobs and League is for the blue collar blokes.

Reactions: Randaddy Miner
I like it already.... Do we need to rugby size duranguito?

Anybody else notice how small of a field the USA and Mexico played on?

I like it already.... Do we need to rugby size duranguito?

Anybody else notice how small of a field the USA and Mexico played on?

It seemed small but at the same time I didn’t like that the broadcast used such tight shots. I want to see the game not the expressions on their faces.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT