ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Who is the next KJ Lewis?

FiliUTEP

MI Miner Maniac
Feb 1, 2010
Any other local players that standout?

Who here follows the the El Paso basketball scene? El Paso needs a prep school.

Cathedral High is a prep school or are you referring to other institutions?

The sports prep schools that I am familiar with (Mater Dei, St. Thomas Aquinas, IMG, Montverde, etc.) are all in high density populations where there's a high concentration of quality athletes to draw from in the immediate metropolitan areas. El Paso is far from that and would never be viable.

Reactions: denverutep
I guess he's talking about a sports prep school rather than a college prep school.
Well here in AZ there is a bunch. Also there is Dream City Church here they recruit players to go play for them. That team is loaded. I'm sure if Cathedral and Faith Christian really wanted to. They could load their squads.

The sports prep schools that I am familiar with (Mater Dei, St. Thomas Aquinas, IMG, Montverde, etc.) are all in high density populations where there's a high concentration of quality athletes to draw from in the immediate metropolitan areas. El Paso is far from that and would never be viable.
I'm sure you are aware, but trying to explain these kinds of things to Fili is like trying to hold water in a colander.

Well here in AZ there is a bunch. Also there is Dream City Church here they recruit players to go play for them. That team is loaded. I'm sure if Cathedral and Faith Christian really wanted to. They could load their squads.

A bunch? Name them.

Does El Paso have enough basketball talent for them to load their squads?

I thought the big thing at Cathedral is their swim team.

Reactions: denverutep
Does El Paso have enough basketball talent for them to load their squads?

I thought the big thing at Cathedral is their swim team.
Well they could recruit from out of state. I'm sure that's what Dream City does. I'm sure Cathedral could afford it.

Well, first Faith Christian would have to exist. It closed two years ago

• Wow
Reactions: FarWestTexas
I would be happy seeing the local high schools reach the sweet 16. When was the last time that happened?

LOL, no. And on top of that, Cathedral's not a boarding school. Where are all these out-of-state recruits supposed to live?
Well Ayton went to some prep school here in Phoenix, and then he went to Arizona. I'm sure Arizona found a place for him to live.

I would be happy seeing the local high schools reach the sweet 16. When was the last time that happened?
Actually I think that has happened quite a few times over the past 10 years between Americas, Andress and Chapin. I would have to check though

Reactions: JCorona
I dont everything see a private school going out there and becoming a school that wants to be an athletic school. Or a school that recruits and makes super teams that travel like Bishop Gorman or De la salle.

The reason is 1. They pay nothing 2. They hire alot of former El Paso administrators who take zero risk and are just Yes Men.

Actually I think that has happened quite a few times over the past 10 years between Americas, Andress and Chapin. I would have to check though
When I was in hs that was a rare occasion but it seems to be more common now. Good for EP. Need to take the next step or two to elevate the local hoops scene further.

I second and verify the Andress mention. I know one of the coaches there, went to UTEP w/ him, and my son and I went to go see them play at the Alamodome when they made it that far. That was within the last 4 years, and I know I missed another year they made it to the Alamodome as well.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT