ADVERTISEMENT

OT: World Cup 2018

minerfan_14

MI Hall of Famer
Apr 22, 2018
Irving, TX
I figured since we’re a few games in what everyone’s thoughts were so far. Any favorites? Interesting matches you hope to see?

I’m banking on Spain to win it but wouldn’t be surprised with an upset or two like with MX over Germany

Looking at their lineup, Di Maria, Mascherano,Otamendi, Higuain. This may have been a good team 4 or 8 years ago but they're no longer what they used to be. They had good players like DyBalla on the bench but chose not to use them.

Reactions: minerfan_14
Two months till college football!
Stop being a troll. You’ve already expressed how you feel about soccer and we’ve acknowledged your position. There’s no need to spam every soccer thread with the repetitive line.

Reactions: KaneFan29
Looking at their lineup, Di Maria, Mascherano,Otamendi, Higuain. This may have been a good team 4 or 8 years ago but they're no longer what they used to be. They had good players like DyBalla on the bench but chose not to use them.

I agree. Was shocked it was just that bad of a beat down.

I wonder how MX will do against S. Korea. S. Korea looked very aggressive against Sweden (38 fouls in the game if I remember).

Belgium looked impressive, get to see Brazil for the first time on tv, let's see how they look.

Crazy that Mexico has only a 72% chance of advancing according to the prediction calculator. A loss to Sweden and they’re likely out.

They'll make it for sure if they only lose by one, or if Germany only wins by one, but they're playing too good

England throttled Panama. Makes their matchup against Belgium interesting. Who is the “paper tigers of that group. I’ve heard some England fans say they might play Mexico in the next round. If that comes true, that’ll be interesting.

Meanwhile Japan and Senigal...Senigal just scored.

They'll make it for sure if they only lose by one, or if Germany only wins by one, but they're playing too good

Not true. If they lose 1-0, and Germany wins they’re out. Everything would be equal and they would go to tiebreaker #5 which is goals vs teams tied for first. Mexico would have 1 goal vs Germany. Germany has 2 goals vs Sweden and Sweden has a goal vs Germany and Mexico. Mexico misses out 2,2,1.

England throttled Panama. Makes their matchup against Belgium interesting. Who is the “paper tigers of that group. I’ve heard some England fans say they might play Mexico in the next round. If that comes true, that’ll be interesting.

Meanwhile Japan and Senigal...Senigal just scored.
Those England fans are wrong. Group F1 plays Group E2 and Group F2 plays Group E1.

Not true. If they lose 1-0, and Germany wins they’re out. Everything would be equal and they would go to tiebreaker #5 which is goals vs teams tied for first. Mexico would have 1 goal vs Germany. Germany has 2 goals vs Sweden and Sweden has a goal vs Germany and Mexico. Mexico misses out 2,2,1.

f@$% you're right! this is what happens when you drink the previous day from 9am till the middle of the night and you have a bartender that keeps bringing you shots when you don't even order them. Someone here knows who I'm talking about

If Mexico loses 2-1 and Germany wins 1-0 then Mexico advances and Germany stays home. A Mexico loss does not automatically guarantee elimination. The key for Mexico is to score at least a goal or two in defeat.

Thanks for the info. Don’t have the bracket quite memorized
world-cup-2018-bracket-1.jpg

Last edited:
f@$% you're right! this is what happens when you drink the previous day from 9am till the middle of the night and you have a bartender that keeps bringing you shots when you don't even order them. Someone here knows who I'm talking about
LMFAO! I hope you got a free shot or 2 on her!
MANY times a certain someone has gotten me trashed and I don't remember ordering anything....
It would suck if Mexico got bounced because they are playing well, but funny too....

Anyone have any favorites for the final? Is Belgium the real deal? Can Brazil make it all the way? Is Portugal like the Cavaliers (1 strong player no mad)? Anyone have any long shots?

Anyone have any favorites for the final? Is Belgium the real deal? Can Brazil make it all the way? Is Portugal like the Cavaliers (1 strong player no mad)? Anyone have any long shots?
Russia has looked unbeatable. Make you wonder if they’re on PED’s.

Croatia is a dark horse to make a run.

The winner of Belgium vs England will tell us a lot.

I think Brazil gets knocked in the round of 16.

South American teams have been a disappointment.

The winner will come from either France, Spain, Belgium, or Germany.

LMFAO! I hope you got a free shot or 2 on her!
MANY times a certain someone has gotten me trashed and I don't remember ordering anything....
It would suck if Mexico got bounced because they are playing well, but funny too....

You got me some shots, she got me a shot but I went to get her, her 5 hour energy drinks. I found a safe place to sit... behind the shot glasses because she can't see your empty shot glass.

If Mexico loses 2-1 and Germany wins 1-0 then Mexico advances and Germany stays home. A Mexico loss does not automatically guarantee elimination. The key for Mexico is to score at least a goal or two in defeat.
Doesn't matter if they score a goal or 2 in defeat, because that would have meant they they gave up 2 or 3 goals. Its not how many you score, its the differential. Germany will come out gunning for a 3-0 or 4-0 win against South Korea. Mexico just needs to worry about themselves and get a tie. If they lose, I'm afraid they will be out.

Yeah, it’s crazy how important that late goal by South Korea was.

Doesn't matter if they score a goal or 2 in defeat, because that would have meant they they gave up 2 or 3 goals. Its not how many you score, its the differential. Germany will come out gunning for a 3-0 or 4-0 win against South Korea. Mexico just needs to worry about themselves and get a tie. If they lose, I'm afraid they will be out.
It does matter because the first tie breaker is goal differential and the second tie breaker is goals scored. Mexico can still advance with a 2-1 or 3-2 loss depending on what Germany does. I’m sure Germany thought they would beat Mexico 5-0 since their b team beat them 4-1 but it doesn’t always work out that way. Mexico controls their own destiny in the group so they aren’t really worried about other results but their own. It’s the Mexico haters that have to dig deep to find scenarios so that they get eliminated.

It’s the Mexico haters that have to dig deep to find scenarios so that they get eliminated.

Final four if they’re not beaten before by hubris.

I love how México fans don’t respect or acknowledge other counties teams and talents. Something I’ve noticed growing up in El Paso. I’m speaking from experience from 2000 to now

It’s the Mexico haters that have to dig deep to find scenarios so that they get eliminated.

I’m not hating on Mexico, I’m just surprised that as great as they have been they need a result in the next game. And a team like Argentina have been god awful and have a shot.

And you don’t have to ‘dig deep’ to find scenarios. A loss is bad news.

I’m not hating on Mexico, I’m just surprised that as great as they have been they need a result in the next game. And a team like Argentina have been god awful and have a shot.

And you don’t have to ‘dig deep’ to find scenarios. A loss is bad news.
I didn’t mean it for you. Twitter is full of salty individuals waiting to pounce on a Mexico failure.

You’re right a loss is bad but so far through this tournament they have played very well. I expect them to continue with their strong form and advance as group leader something that seemed unreasonable when the groups were announced.

Reactions: kickballpro
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT