ADVERTISEMENT

OT: World Cup 2026

Whoever loses the soccer game can buy the Capri Sun and orange slices for the little kids after the game. Oh, the excitement of watching three hours for a tie game... oh, I'm sorry, "draw"

My interest in soccer is "nil"

Mexico!!!!!!!! Nice win.
Yes huge win for them and CONCACAF. Hopefully they don't have a let down in their group. Right now they can avoid Brazil in the round of 16.

FYI I can't stand the Mexican team, but gotta give them props.

Yes huge win for them and CONCACAF. Hopefully they don't have a let down in their group. Right now they can avoid Brazil in the round of 16.

FYI I can't stand the Mexican team, but gotta give them props.

As unpopular as it might be, I root for Mexico. Always have. At least as far back as Hugo Sanchez and Negrete, who has what still must be considered one of the great goals in WC play.

Reactions: jdubb66
I think I remember you saying you played with Santos...correct? But if I remember correctly you were younger than Eric Feliberti, Edgar ?, Herman and Jimmie Guardado and the rest of that group???

Although probably not anywhere near the extent you knew him, I also had the good fortune of knowing Marinho. Great guy. As you previously stated, R.I.P.

Yeah, even 10 years ago I was paying $90 each for monthly training fees here in the SA area, for my two sons. That wasn’t even the bulk of it. As you mentioned, the constant travel was extremely costly. I missed the game a lot when my oldest went the fb route and my youngest went the extreme sports route...but my wallet wasn’t quite as light.

Yes, I played for santos and the younger patriots. I'm a 78 but played 77 until my senior year in high school then I went back to my age group. I love the game.

Yes, I played for santos and the younger patriots. I'm a 78 but played 77 until my senior year in high school then I went back to my age group. I love the game.

So do I. Don’t play anymore as I just keep effing my body up more and more. Several separated and cracked ribs last go at it playing indoor about a year and a half ago. I do, however, coach at the HS level though.

Many moons ago I played for the EP Spurs, which was an earlier incarnation of the Patriots.

So do I. Don’t play anymore as I just keep effing my body up more and more. Several separated and cracked ribs last go at it playing indoor about a year and a half ago. I do, however, coach at the HS level though.

Many moons ago I played for the EP Spurs, which was an earlier incarnation of the Patriots.
Hey Coog, UTEP had a soccer club back in the late 80s or early 90s which if I'm not mistaken had a base of players that later on formed the Patriots. I think I remember Clay Kooiman playing either with the soccer club or Patriots. Does any of this ring a bell? I was a big fan of the emerging Patriots and would watch their games at Dudley and at the Westside Soccer complex of all places.

Hey Coog, UTEP had a soccer club back in the late 80s or early 90s which if I'm not mistaken had a base of players that later on formed the Patriots. I think I remember Clay Kooiman playing either with the soccer club or Patriots. Does any of this ring a bell? I was a big fan of the emerging Patriots and would watch their games at Dudley and at the Westside Soccer complex of all places.

Yep. UTEP actually won the club national championship in 89(?), maybe 90. Not sure about the crossover between Miner players and Pats, however it would make sense because there were a couple UTEP players who played with the Spurs, who later became the Patriots.

Cle Kooiman is a name I probably never would have remembered again if you hadn’t brought him up. Fairly certain he was the only American on the Juarez Cobras in 1990 ish. Don’t think he played for UTEP because he had played his college ball at SDSU. He may have played on the Patriots. I left EP in 91 and those were pre internet days so I was out of touch with what was going on with them. I know he also played on the USMNT in 94. Wow, seems like a lifetime ago!

Yep. UTEP actually won the club national championship in 89(?), maybe 90. Not sure about the crossover between Miner players and Pats, however it would make sense because there were a couple UTEP players who played with the Spurs, who later became the Patriots.

Cle Kooiman is a name I probably never would have remembered again if you hadn’t brought him up. Fairly certain he was the only American on the Juarez Cobras in 1990 ish. Don’t think he played for UTEP because he had played his college ball at SDSU. He may have played on the Patriots. I left EP in 91 and those were pre internet days so I was out of touch with what was going on with them. I know he also played on the USMNT in 94. Wow, seems like a lifetime ago!

Cle Kooiman played for the Cobras? Wow that’s crazy. I remember watching him in the World Cup

I had a classmate named Guillermo who played on that club around 1991 or 92. We were in Jazz to Rock with a guy named Henry Hall who would leave the school after the semester.

The soccer club today (not sure if it has been a constant since those days) is pretty low profile.

I had a classmate named Guillermo who played on that club around 1991 or 92. We were in Jazz to Rock with a guy named Henry Hall who would leave the school after the semester.

The soccer club today (not sure if it has been a constant since those days) is pretty low profile.

Big black guy? I would’ve said African American except that he was Panamanian or something like that. Played many games against him if it’s the same Guillermo.

Interesting fact about Kooiman is that he was the first American to captain Cruz Azul or any Liga MX team.

I forgot that Kooiman played for Cobras as did Superman Sosa who played in the US Open Cup final for Patriots. Kooiman probably lived in El Paso during his time with Cobras so he must has played some matches in EP. I swear I remember watching him play. I remember Guillermo McFarlane now, thanks. Also saw Chava Mercado play with Patriots before he joined Celaya and shared the front line with Emilio Butragueño.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
El Tri!!!

Mexico playing in top form. Looked pretty damn strong against SoKo. Ticket to the knockout round could be punched today with a Sweden win, or tie, against Germany.

El Tri!!!

Mexico playing in top form. Looked pretty damn strong against SoKo. Ticket to the knockout round could be punched today with a Sweden win, or tie, against Germany.
Yikes. What a strike from Germany on the last play. An answered hail mary. Mexico still has work to do. All they need is a tie, but if they lose and Germany beats SoKo by 3, it will be chaos on the border....

Reactions: MineroFanatico

I remember that a game was cancelled at the west side soccer complex because the city didn't program the lights to come on.

A lot of that UTEP team did play for the patriots

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT