ADVERTISEMENT

Other Quotes from Leftwich Story

Chris Avila

Starter
May 22, 2012
I thought I would share some other quotes from Mack Leftwich and his coach Art Walker. What do you think of the recruit and what do you think he brings to the table at UTEP?

What Leftwich feels are his better qualities as a quarterback:
"I think when a big play needs to get made, I think that's when I'm at my best. Physically, I have a pretty strong arm, especially for my size.

Also, the mental part of the game. Being a coach's son, I've been around the game and I think that's where I'm a little bit ahead as opposed to other high school quarterbacks. "

Things Leftwich would like to work on before getting to UTEP:
"I'd like to improve on my accuracy. I think improvements I've made from last year to this year are pretty drastic. You can see my completion percentage went up almost ten percent."

Best thing about having a dad as a coach:
"He's an offensive line coach and I think more than anything, he's been there for support. He has really helped with game speed and really taught me about game management and other things like that which he is familiar with. Really, he has just been really supportive of me and has been there for me whenever I have needed him or when I've had questions. He'll sit there and answer them."

Art Walker, head football coach at North Allegheny High School
"He's a had a few good years here. He's a great leader and works hard, studies the game. He has other things that you can't measure in a quarterback when is comes to his ability to read defenses and how he handles himself in a leadership role."

Things that separate Leftwich from other quarterbacks:
"The measurable are in his arm strength. He can make a throw minimum 65 yards, can throw a 20-yard out from one hash mark to the other sideline. He can throw the shallow, intermediate and deep routes and just had tremendous arm strength and accuracy."

I always like the idea of a coach's son playing quarterback. Lots of intangibles tend to come with that.

I'm not kidding when I say he is a very smart kid. I was very impressed with the way he conducted himself on the interview and his coach had nothing but good things to say about him. I think outside of his height he will be a very good addition and can easily challenge for the starting spot for this coming year.

Originally posted by Chris Avila:
I'm not kidding when I say he is a very smart kid. I was very impressed with the way he conducted himself on the interview and his coach had nothing but good things to say about him. I think outside of his height he will be a very good addition and can easily challenge for the starting spot for this coming year.
I think the "smart" part is essential. I don't want to badmouth anyone, but when I saw Lamaison interviewed, he appeared to me as something of an airhead, and didn't exactly instill confidence. I loved his enthusiasm, but never felt like he was the sharpest knife in the drawer.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT