ADVERTISEMENT

Over recruiting

I guess what I meant to say is that when she gets a few weeks off in the summer and visits her family, they may take a vacation. During their vacation, she will still continue her training. She’s constantly training all year round. But she was a high school All American in a grueling sport, so she’s definitely built of tougher stuff than me. If you want to know what a day to day life of a college athlete is like...just ask one. I know that I For one had no idea.

I guess what I meant to say is that when she gets a few weeks off in the summer and visits her family, they may take a vacation. During their vacation, she will still continue her training. She’s constantly training all year round. But she was a high school All American in a grueling sport, so she’s definitely built of tougher stuff than me. If you want to know what a day to day life of a college athlete is like...just ask one. I know that I For one had no idea.

Well some people like to exaggerate things.

Awhile back somebody told me they worked 3 jobs and went to school full time. They forgot to mention one of those jobs only took place in December, another job was mowing lawns 3 times a month, and working in a restaurant 10 hours a week. It sounds good when you tell people that, but it's exaggerating the truth.

I guess in my experience when talking to people, some people like to bend the truth. I had a conversation with my aunt one time and she was talking about everything her son was doing in college. A lot of it sounded like BS, but I smiled and nodded. I asked my cousin later about all these things he was doing in college and he had no clue what I was talking about.

So what I am trying to say is I don't believe somebody unless they can explain themselves. I asked fanati a very simple question and he couldn't answer it.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
Yeah cuz I’m so sure you put in 80 hours a week throughout your 4-5 year education. These kids make less than minimum wage, genius. You have your opinion but it’s so far removed from the reality of things. Who do you know who played college basketball or football? If you aren’t actually friends with, or a family member of someone who played, you have no idea what you’re talking about. Zero!

Umm I actually have a few friends that played college football and they say the same damn thing.... they get to be coached by elite coaches, get a college degree, get to travel the United States, showcase their ability... they love what they do... Do they put in 80hours a week? Maybe, highly doubtful but maybe... but those 80 hours a majority are the players own to make themselves better because coaches can only work with players for specific amounts of time... ( when I was in college we ran drills for the players but they could only do so much with coaches the rest was on their own... we’re they encouraged to do it? Yes but no means mandatory)

the kids make less than minimum wage ?? I didn’t realize you were supposed to make anything in college??? I never got a check and I helped run some of the practices for the men’s b-ball team...

Last edited:
So how about it? One game back from the top pod. With the next 3 games being against teams in direct competition for that 5th seed.

Reactions: picks up
AB, why don’t you tell us what a typical week for a Division 1 athlete is?

Fanati isn’t speaking out of his ass. His son played football in the big12 recently.

Tell us from your personal experience what it’s really like to be a student athlete at a D1 program.

You must have an extensive knowledge on this subject. Please tell us how Fanati is wrong.

Fanati isn’t speaking out of his ass. His son played football in the big12 recently.

Tell us from your personal experience what it’s really like to be a student athlete at a D1 program.

You must have an extensive knowledge on this subject. Please tell us how Fanati is wrong.

I’m sure he doesn’t know. I think he was asking for a breakdown of these “16 hour days”. Like from 5-9 lifting weights. 9-11 doing x, etc.

I don’t see them winning any game outside of El Paso :(

And both f schools have a tiebreak on us...
Yep the 2 conference losses where we had the lead with a few minutes left hurt, especially FAU. Agree UAB is a must win if shooting for the top pod.

Yep the 2 conference losses where we had the lead with a few minutes left hurt, especially FAU. Agree UAB is a must win if shooting for the top pod.
Add the LT scoring drought at the end of regulation and we would be half a game behind the conference leader.

Reactions: axingfools1
Interesting stats for everybody. Stroud has played exactly 50 minutes in conference. Per 40 minutes played he is the team leader in 2 point makes and attempts and blocked shots. He is also tops in turnovers. He hasn't hit a single 3 pointer. Top scorers on the team per 40 minutes in conference are 1) Williams at 20ppg 2) Boum at 19ppg and 3) Stroud 18 ppg.

Bryson Williams projects to 20.4/9.2
Boum 19.3/1.8 assists/.893 freethrow
Stroud 18.4/4.8/3.2 blocks
Efe Odigie 17.2/12.2 (double double)
Edwards 13.5/2.4 assists/.35 3-point
Archie 10.3/3.4
Hawkins 10.1/5.1/2.9 assists
Tarke 7.8/13.7/3.9 steals
Verhoeven 6.8/4.5/2.3 steals
Vila 6.3/11.2/4.1 assists
Lathon 2.6/8.7/4.8 assists
So Stroud had 7 points, 1 assist, 1 steal, 3 TO and 3 fouls in 8 minutes. He is a VERY efficient scorer, but is still hurting himself with negatives. He is on the verge of breaking out. Let's hope it happens over the next few weeks.

Stroud is now 2nd on the team in scoring and 1st in efficiency per 40 minutes.

So Stroud had 7 points, 1 assist, 1 steal, 3 TO and 3 fouls in 8 minutes. He is a VERY efficient scorer, but is still hurting himself with negatives. He is on the verge of breaking out. Let's hope it happens over the next few weeks.

Stroud is now 2nd on the team in scoring and 1st in efficiency per 40 minutes.
Like I mentioned on another thread, the midway point of the conference schedule is usually when Terry’s successful teams start to pick up steam.

If we can defend the Don and split on the east coast it would result in the “best case scenario” finish we speculated on after the utsa loss. It’s not gonna be easy but I’m feeling a bit more confident they’ll pull it off.

Reactions: mikesarabia
Then why doesn’t he simply google it instead of accusing people of lying and making stuff up?

here you go.

https://www.alligatorarmy.com/2015/...ators-football-players-daily-schedule-graphic

That is definitely not a “16 hour day”.

• 6:00-7:00 a.m.: Wake up
  • 7:00-7:45 a.m.: Eat breakfast
  • 8:00-11:30 a.m.: Class
  • 12:00-12:30 p.m.: Eat lunch
  • 12:30-1:30 p.m.: Lift
  • 1:30-2:30 p.m.: Fuel and recover
  • 2:30-3:30 p.m.: Meetings
  • 3:30-5:30 p.m.: Practice
  • 6:00-6:30 p.m.: Fuel and recover
  • 6:30-7:00 p.m.: Eat
  • 7:30-9:00 p.m.: Study
Sorry, but 2 hours to wake up and eat breakfast doesn’t count. Neither does eating or fueling and recovering. Those are not 16 hour days. It’s just not.

If you work 8 hours a day, your lunch isn’t included or your drive to and from. You might consider it, but to say you work 10 hour days is not correct.

Sorry, but 2 hours to wake up and eat breakfast doesn’t count. Neither does eating or fueling and recovering. Those are not 16 hour days. It’s just not.

If you work 8 hours a day, your lunch isn’t included or your drive to and from. You might consider it, but to say you work 10 hour days is not correct.
I sure as hell ain’t at home relaxing smoking a joint when I’m at lunch or driving to work and back, so yes it’s part of work.

I sure as hell ain’t at home relaxing smoking a joint when I’m at lunch or driving to work and back, so yes it’s part of work.

You don’t get paid. It might be “part” of work, but it’s not work. I’m sure there’s people that actually work 10-12 hours a day. Driving to your job and eating lunch isn’t work. Unless your job is a food critic or Uber driver.

Eating and recovering isn’t work, especially for a college student.

Reactions: Autograph Boy
i actually agree with you... no one is forcing them to play— they are playing because that’s what they love to do... entitled babies nowadays

Exactly! This is the same conversation I had with Cody Decker at the end of June. He complained about his pay and I told him he can quit any time. Ironic that he quit about a month later.

You don’t get paid. It might be “part” of work, but it’s not work. I’m sure there’s people that actually work 10-12 hours a day. Driving to your job and eating lunch isn’t work. Unless your job is a food critic or Uber driver.

Eating and recovering isn’t work, especially for a college student.
We have to get paid for it to be work? I guess that means student athletes don’t do shit all day then.

I work 60 hours a week M-F. During the week when I get home after being gone for 14hrs, prepping and cooking a meal is work, I might not get paid for it, but it involves time and physical labor that sometimes I’m too tired for.

I never said he was speaking out of his ass. I clearly said I have no knowledge about this. This is why I kept asking, but didn't get any answers.

That list is too laughable I won't even read further. Waking up and eating breakfast is not part of the work day.

We have to get paid for it to be work? I guess that means student athletes don’t do shit all day then.

I work 60 hours a week M-F. During the week when I get home after being gone for 14hrs, prepping and cooking a meal is work, I might not get paid for it, but it involves time and physical labor that sometimes I’m too tired for.

What the heck are you talking about? Anything outside of those 14 hours is not work. Let's say you work from 7-9. Anything before 7 and about 9 is not work.

Last edited:

I tend to agree that this is not all valid as a "work" day. I don't get paid for my breaks to "fuel and recover" nor to eat or anything else like that. Looking at that list I would consider that a 9-hour work day.

Just sayin'...

I tend to agree that this is not all valid as a "work" day. I don't get paid for my breaks to "fuel and recover" nor to eat or anything else like that. Looking at that list I would consider that a 9-hour work day.

Just sayin'...

Right. Nobody is saying these college athletes don’t work hard, that it’s easy, and that they don’t deserve it. You can say that 6a to 9p is a 15 hour day, but when you break it down, they’re not “working” all that time. That is life. And if I had to do this for “4 years straight” to get a free “$30,000” scholarship when I was 18, sign me up. Shit I would do it for 5.

If they are REQUIRED to be there I say include it as a work hour.

If they are REQUIRED to be there I say include it as a work hour.

Thats fine if you want to, but eating and recovering is not working. During their recovery time are they required to go sit in a hypobolic chamber or something ? Again, 2 hours to start your day “waking up and eating breakfast” isn’t starting your working.

On another thread I posted that I was trying to adopt a new less involved demeanor with my attitude and expectations and I'm working on it. Not easy and I continue to have questions and comments.
There was absolutely no posting on here during or after the pitiful MTU game. This indicates that interest has now reached an all time low. It's reached that sad state. Reminds me of another of my posts advising you of Jim Senter's statement to me that he isn't concerned about the uneasy feeling of the fan base. Where are we headed?

On another thread I posted that I was trying to adopt a new less involved demeanor with my attitude and expectations and I'm working on it. Not easy and I continue to have questions and comments.
There was absolutely no posting on here during or after the pitiful MTU game. This indicates that interest has now reached an all time low. It's reached that sad state. Reminds me of another of my posts advising you of Jim Senter's statement to me that he isn't concerned about the uneasy feeling of the fan base. Where are we headed?
It's on an invisible thread miner1liner...

source.gif

Typical day of fb @ UH under Herman and very similar with Applewhite:
5:00-6:30 - Weight room/conditioning
7:00-7:45- team breakfast (not optional)
8:00-8:45 - position meetings
9:00-12:00 - class
12:15-1:00 - team lunch (not optional)
1:00-2:00 - free time “at the field house”
2:00-4:30 - practice
5:00-5:45 - offense meeting/film study
6:00-8:00 - study hall (mandatory until senior)

Yes, you could say that not every minute is spent “working”, however a football player’s time isn’t his own. There isn’t time to go do anything in between workouts, class, practice, meetings, meals, study hall, etc.

Players cannot go get a job, even if they want to (exception - 2 months during summer as long as it doesn’t interfere with fb related things). Most of the kids are poor af. Do I feel sorry for them? No. Playing is a choice. Do I think a stipend would help out? Yeah.

I hate to say this again, M1L, but the kid can't shoot. He's an offensive liability. Although in fairness, neither can anyone else in the position...
Can Vila shoot? How about Verhoeven? Lathon? Archie? He brings hustle, effort and rebounds. Like you said; no body else can either. Gotta look for other things. When you struggle to beat the league's bottom feeder by one stinkin point, it's worth trying something else. Is he the only scholly player that didn't see the floor last night?

Reactions: MINER.JAY
Most of the kids are poor af. Do I feel sorry for them? No. Playing is a choice. Do I think a stipend would help out? Yeah.

Problem is, the stipend has to be equal. Even though the football players should get more than the women’s golf team, it can’t happen. Schools like Alabama and Duke, sure no problem. For those women’s golf fans, I am simply stating that the football team should get more because they bring in money. The women’s golf team works just as hard and blah, blah. It’s like paying the janitor the same as a CEO.

That’s why you can’t have stipends at most schools.

Yes we beat the last place team by one point, and unfortunately that’s about how good this team is!
They have more talent than that but as a team it just doesn’t seem to be working!

Reactions: miner1liner
Typical day of fb @ UH under Herman and very similar with Applewhite:
5:00-6:30 - Weight room/conditioning
7:00-7:45- team breakfast (not optional)
8:00-8:45 - position meetings
9:00-12:00 - class
12:15-1:00 - team lunch (not optional)
1:00-2:00 - free time “at the field house”
2:00-4:30 - practice
5:00-5:45 - offense meeting/film study
6:00-8:00 - study hall (mandatory until senior)

Yes, you could say that not every minute is spent “working”, however a football player’s time isn’t his own. There isn’t time to go do anything in between workouts, class, practice, meetings, meals, study hall, etc.

Players cannot go get a job, even if they want to (exception - 2 months during summer as long as it doesn’t interfere with fb related things). Most of the kids are poor af. Do I feel sorry for them? No. Playing is a choice. Do I think a stipend would help out? Yeah.
A stipend I agree. Paid absolutely not.

Can Vila shoot? How about Verhoeven? Lathon? Archie? He brings hustle, effort and rebounds. Like you said; no body else can either. Gotta look for other things. When you struggle to beat the league's bottom feeder by one stinkin point, it's worth trying something else. Is he the only scholly player that didn't see the floor last night?
Tarke leads the team in rebounds and steals per 40 minutes played. Terry has to know these things, but based on his post game comments he is playing guys based off of practice. He must be working his way back in since having his unknown injury.

Last edited:
Reactions: MINER.JAY
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT