ADVERTISEMENT

@ Pacific Nov 14

Hopefully this is part of a road trip on the West Coast. Seems pointless to just play at Pacific. Not like they’re very good.
Well, we never seem to beat them. There was that big ESPN Bracket Buster game where UTEP failed to beat them on national TV (both teams were pretty good and UTEP still made the NCAAs), and then I seem to remember one of Tim Floyd's teams flopping big-time against them.

A road game at Pacific seems like a worthy challenge for this UTEP team.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
So the Miner's schedule so far includes

@Kansas (in KC)
@UNM
@Pacific
McNeese St
SHSU (in the SB tourney - may play them and may not)
NMSU? Will Golding want to continue the annual home and home?

Well, we never seem to beat them. There was that big ESPN Bracket Buster game where UTEP failed to beat them on national TV (both teams were pretty good and UTEP still made the NCAAs), and then I seem to remember one of Tim Floyd's teams flopping big-time against them.

Floyd stupidly scheduled them for his debut here and lost. A sign of disappointments to come.

Maybe it will be a challenge, but likely this game might include a return game to El Paso. They’ve been the NCAAs 1 time since 2007. I would rather see the Miners play a team that will give them a better challenge. Or sign a home and home with a closer opponent.

Floyd stupidly scheduled them for his debut here and lost. A sign of disappointments to come.

Maybe it will be a challenge, but likely this game might include a return game to El Paso. They’ve been the NCAAs 1 time since 2007. I would rather see the Miners play a team that will give them a better challenge. Or sign a home and home with a closer opponent.
They're fine. People have suggested on this board that UTEP should schedule teams from the WCC, and that's Pacific. They were a middle-of-the-pack WCC team last season and they often win over 20 games when they play a full season. A road game at such a place is a good challenge; it certainly won't hurt our NET rankings.

UTEP can schedule a series with Pacific and also schedule a series with a closer opponent. They're not mutually exclusive. I'm okay with this.

They're fine. People have suggested on this board that UTEP should schedule teams from the WCC, and that's Pacific. They were a middle-of-the-pack WCC team last season and they often win over 20 games when they play a full season. A road game at such a place is a good challenge; it certainly won't hurt our NET rankings.

UTEP can schedule a series with Pacific and also schedule a series with a closer opponent. They're not mutually exclusive. I'm okay with this.
They’ve won 20 games once in the last 8 seasons and that coach isn’t there anymore. I’m “okay” with them being on schedule, but this program isn’t anywhere near the quality of their “bracket buster” days.

Beggars can't be choosers. UTEP is in the bottom fourth of college basketball programs. Hopefully one day it will improve. However, as of now we're not above going on the road to play anybody.

Sorry to bring the past up but they did beat UTEP in 2010

PacificTigers
1-0, 1-0 AWAY

Final
12T
PAC254166
UTEP362561
i

Pacific 66, UTEP 61​

Nov 12, 2010
  • Associated Press
EL PASO, Texas -- Sam Willard had 23 points and 11 rebounds Friday night to lead Pacific to a 66-61 victory over UTEP in the season opener for both schools.
Jose Rivera added 17 points and Demetrece Young had 11 points, seven assists and six rebounds for the Tigers, who overcame a 36-25 halftime deficit. Rivera scored 14 of his points after halftime and Young's 3-pointer with 1:44 remaining gave Pacific the lead for good at 62-59.
Randy Culpepper scored 13 points to lead the Miners, but he was held scoreless in the second half. Julyan Stone finished with 12 points and 11 rebounds for UTEP, playing its first game under coach Tim Floyd.

Sorry to bring the past up but they did beat UTEP in 2010

PacificTigers
1-0, 1-0 AWAY

Final
12T
PAC254166
UTEP362561
i

Pacific 66, UTEP 61​

Nov 12, 2010
EL PASO, Texas -- Sam Willard had 23 points and 11 rebounds Friday night to lead Pacific to a 66-61 victory over UTEP in the season opener for both schools.
Jose Rivera added 17 points and Demetrece Young had 11 points, seven assists and six rebounds for the Tigers, who overcame a 36-25 halftime deficit. Rivera scored 14 of his points after halftime and Young's 3-pointer with 1:44 remaining gave Pacific the lead for good at 62-59.
Randy Culpepper scored 13 points to lead the Miners, but he was held scoreless in the second half. Julyan Stone finished with 12 points and 11 rebounds for UTEP, playing its first game under coach Tim Floyd.
Such a shitty and deflating 2nd half. Who were our bigs that game? McCulley and Bohanon?

We did beat them the year after the Bracket Buster game. If you remember, Tofi hit a 3 at the buzzer to send the game to overtime.

Reactions: FeralFelidae
It's now Aug 3rd and no schedule released by UTEP. The last normal season the schedule was not released in July was 2014. Not that it matters but it would be nice to know who the Miners will play this season.

Reactions: axingfools1
It's now Aug 3rd and no schedule released by UTEP. The last normal season the schedule was not released in July was 2014. Not that it matters but it would be nice to know who the Miners will play this season.
Seems like after the season ticket renewal deadline passed, we have heard zero about UTEP basketball.

Reactions: MinerInWisconsin
Seems like after the season ticket renewal deadline passed, we have heard zero about UTEP basketball.
Not sure why this surprises anyone. To be fair though, only 45 out of 358 D1 teams have released their non conference schedule so far.

UTEP preys on season ticket holders. They want as many “stooges” to buy without seeing the home schedule as possible. Then they will have 2 or 3 D2 games and a weak home opponents. Of course other than “marquee” opponents like NMSU and UNM lol.

Reactions: FedupMiner
Not sure why this surprises anyone. To be fair though, only 45 out of 358 D1 teams have released their non conference schedule so far.

UTEP preys on season ticket holders. They want as many “stooges” to buy without seeing the home schedule as possible. Then they will have 2 or 3 D2 games and a weak home opponents. Of course other than “marquee” opponents like NMSU and UNM lol.
Speaking of season tickets, if one looks at the available seats for mbb, looks like they have sold a good number of them.

You're probably right but why would anyone worth mentioning come play us in the Don? They would have nothing to gain and everything to lose. I think we will only get good teams to come when we become a respectable team again.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
You're probably right but why would anyone worth mentioning come play us in the Don? They would have nothing to gain and everything to lose. I think we will only get good teams to come when we become a respectable team again.
I don’t expect Virginia, Texas, and Michigan St to be our on schedules. Is it too far fetched to think UTEP couldn’t schedule Murray St, Stephen F Austin, and Nevada?

Plenty of Pac 12 teams have played here. Do I expect USC, UCLA, and Arizona? No, but Washington St, Colorado, and Oregon St are realistic. Even if you sign 1 here for 2 there, those type of schools have or will come.

Just because you can’t get the top names, doesn’t mean you can’t get good names.

They kept calling everyday to renew seasons tickets. I finally asked "Why should I? We haven't won anything in 10 years, the recruiting has stalled and I don't even know our schedule. Plus I can buy cheap tickets and just move down to empty seats. On top of that our president allowed the same AD who hired the previous crappy coach to hire this one." The response was, "We are excited about Golding!"

Reactions: JCorona
Maybe we're waiting for the Don Haskins Invitational field. We can't really release our full schedule until the tournament field is announced.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT