ADVERTISEMENT

PICK A QB!

jq_miner

All Star
Mar 17, 2008
This alternating crap is stoooopid!

I hate Patrick Higgins!

Draw on first down - wild miner on second - hitch pass on third - punt..... YOU SUCK DONKEY BALLS HIGGINS

I think Showers making an NFL team this year proves he isn't a bad player and wasn't the problem last year. Higgins has the QB's on a tight leash. If Jones is out for a long time we need to unleash the QB's. Hopefully Jones gets healthy soon, he's a great player and an even better person.

Did you all notice the few slow mo replays of Leftwich passes getting tipped?! Not good.

Did you all notice the few slow mo replays of Leftwich passes getting tipped?! Not good.
OK...we know Leftwich isn't the answer; God forbid and it looks like Kavika brought nothing either. Guess that leaves Simpson and Metz. How long before one of them gets a shot? Leftwich is so short he can't see and it looked like Kavika couldn't see anything either. I'm not an offensive coordinator, but regardless of who the quarterback is, how about an occasional pass on first and/or second down? The chances of a completion to a wide receiver would be greatly enhanced and who knows it might even make the defense have to adjust. Run, run, run and punt. What lies ahead with Aaron a question mark?

Reactions: Tribalwarriorx
In Kugler's offensive system QB's are not going to be flocking to UTEP. His philosophy is pound the ball first and pass the ball when necessary. It works but there needs to be some kind of passing threat and Leftwich doesn't seem to be that threat at this point.

In Kugler's offensive system QB's are not going to be flocking to UTEP. His philosophy is pound the ball first and pass the ball when necessary. It works but there needs to be some kind of passing threat and Leftwich doesn't seem to be that threat at this point.
The issue is that this should be a great offense for QBs since they hypothetically should be throwing against 8 and 9 man boxes most of the time. My impression last year was that I couldn't tell if our passing game sucked because our QB sucked or because our receiving corps sucked. Unfortunately, I still can't answer that question.

Reactions: allminer
The issue is that this should be a great offense for QBs since they hypothetically should be throwing against 8 and 9 man boxes most of the time. My impression last year was that I couldn't tell if our passing game sucked because our QB sucked or because our receiving corps sucked. Unfortunately, I still can't answer that question.

Well our QB made an NFL roster so he wasn't to blame

Last edited:
This reminds me of the start of the David Lee era. David Lee's background was the veer, a run oriented offense. Yet he was hired amid the promise that he would keep the offense open, Ala Stull. I never believed it. After kind of, sort of throwing it his first year, he went full veer the remainder of his sad tenure. Those of us around back then remember the pitiful results. If you come from a run background, that's what you're going to stick with apparently.

The bad part 2Step is this was happening in camp. It looks like Higgins has done nothing to address this as a potential problem when he does have him pass. Not to mention a viable blocking scheme when Left rolls out.

Although it might have not been a roster spot, to be somewhat good to even make a practice squad. He was a better QB here at UTEP than most people give him credit for. Unfortunately for him, Higgins was his offensive coordinator. If he played in a system like NMSU's, he would have put up huge numbers. Higgins should have designed some offense around Showers's capabilities, but Higgins can't think outside the box. He only has like 3 plays in his playbook. Run up the middle, sweep, a quick 8 years out route.

Reactions: Tribalwarriorx
What's the deal with Simpson? I thought it was a tight race between him and Leftwich. I understand Metz just threw a TD pass but he was third on the rotation. Simpson can't be injured if he is the holder on extra points. Is he in the dog house? I don't thing our best QB is on the field tonight.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT