ADVERTISEMENT

Pre season is done, now let's see what they do in Conference

nattybry

MI Miner Maniac
Jul 7, 2003
This team is obviously much improved from last year, but maybe not as good as we thought after an exhibition game against Tech and beating the 2 New Mexico schools. I would've been more encouraged with a win against Hawaii a close loss to Washington and a win against Georgia Tech. However it is what it is and I think they will learn a lot from this tournament that will help on the real season that starts next week. My prediction in conference is 13-5 and a top 4 finish.

I don’t know how you can predict 13-5 without knowing which pod we will be in, who the opponents are and where the games will be played.

I’m changing my prediction to 9-5 based on what I’ve seen so far. Losses at one of the Florida schools, at one of the Texas schools, and the road trip to Charlotte/ODU. A loss at home to one of the top teams.

Top three placement is my expectation going into conference tournament. They better beat FIU. FIU is 9-3 but had a weak OOC with only Miss. State on it which they lost.

We’ll go as far as Williams takes us. He’s got to stay out of foul trouble, and he needs some help.

Reactions: MINER.JAY
Big concern for me is margin of victory/loss. We have played many close games, no matter the competition. Even in our two road losses (Houston and NMSU) we had periods where we were competitive until the wheels came off. No sure why this is so, you might be quick to blame coaching but it could be we have have players who when the pressure is on do not perform or lack leadership. As good as Williams is he sometimes faces so much defensive pressure that we need another step up player. Edwards does in certain games but his game also disappears in others. Lathon, et al are all erratic and are not really dependable players to go out and just get a bucket, foul or rebound.

I thought 10-3 preconference so we were close. Not sure what to think now. Too many lineup changes, turnovers and inconsistency. The Florida trip could tell us a lot. If we can't get any road wins then this season will be over quick.

Funny thing is that we have been every game except after the 7 minute mark in Houston. If Terry figures this out we could win CUSA.

I don’t know how you can predict 13-5 without knowing which pod we will be in, who the opponents are and where the games will be played.

I’m changing my prediction to 9-5 based on what I’ve seen so far. Losses at one of the Florida schools, at one of the Texas schools, and the road trip to Charlotte/ODU. A loss at home to one of the top teams.
Well then 10-4 going into Pod games then

Reactions: JCorona
Last season the top teams from pod 1 entered pod games at

ODU 11-3
WKU 9-5
USM 9-5
Utsa 9-5
UAB 8-6

I think we see something similar this year. Nine wins should be enough to get into pod1 and compete for the regular season title.

Reactions: nattybry
Our first two games will say a lot in my opinion... if we go lay an egg could be in trouble... but if we go 2-0 could be hope

If this Miner squad is any “good” they should win both Florida games. There will be very little fans at both games, no excuses not to beat these 2 awful basketball programs.

Reactions: Autograph Boy
I would not consider these two teams awful... fiu is 9-3.... you know how to win at that point and have developed confidence.... Fau at 8-4 doesn’t look as good though but still have won 8 games

I think I'm in suspended animation. Very let down and disappointed at the performance so far. Quite a lot more negatives than positives. Only positives from a team standpoint would be Tech, NMSU at home and UNM. The other wins are mixed for me and the losses are tough to analyze. If we don't get some kind of reliable offense going with consistent multiple contributors we could easily go 6-8. IF we do manage to develop a working scheme and defense continues, we could go 10-4.
But who knows; certainly not me? Every game is like Russian Roulette.

I am encouraged that Terry has opened up his mind and let Tarke and Archie on the floor.

Reactions: Lil_Train
Still think they can be one of the better teams in CUSA. Maybe not win it all this year. Vastly improved though. I sorta feel they have a good conference run in them.

The coaching staff seems to be working on those issues as well, with bringing in Archie and Tarke for extended minutes. I hope it continues into conference play.

We all want the NCAA tourney, but I would be ok with the NIT this season. Anything less would be a total let down for this talented team.

Reactions: miner1liner
Is there any particular reason we're playing FIU in the morning on a Thursday?
I didn't even realize this. MTSU has played early games like this before and invited a bunch of elementary kids to fill up their arena. Maybe this will be something similar?

If this Miner squad is any “good” they should win both Florida games. There will be very little fans at both games, no excuses not to beat these 2 awful basketball programs.
Boise State and Ball St will finish in top 3 or 4 of their respective conferences. They're better than both Florida schools, we should win both, but they're still road games so we'll see.

Boise State and Ball St will finish in top 3 or 4 of their respective conferences. They're better than both Florida schools, we should win both, but they're still road games so we'll see.

Coming from the guy who said “Paul Thomas is going to be UTEP’s KD” , “We have the best Canadian players in D1”, and “CUSA will get 2 bids this year”, ummm I don’t think that prediction will work out for you either.

BTW, how’s my banishment coming along? Been a few weeks now......

Reactions: Autograph Boy
Coming from the guy who said “Paul Thomas is going to be UTEP’s KD” , “We have the best Canadian players in D1”, and “CUSA will get 2 bids this year”, ummm I don’t think that prediction will work out for you either.

Dude, take a chill pill!

Doesn't matter Shovel comes back just like autophobe. They can't quit us.

Dude ain't nobody worried or paying attention to your annoying ass. You in the sandbox all alone playing with yourself lol

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT