ADVERTISEMENT

Pretty Much New Mexico Bowl Bound!

nattybry

MI Miner Maniac
Jul 7, 2003
Though I'd selfishly prefer for the Miners to come to North Texas to the Frisco Bowl so it's easier on me. It's not likely at this point. If N. Texas were to upset UTSA then they'll for sure be going to Frisco Bowl. I don't that will happen, so look for the Frisco Bowl to take a team like W. Kentucky or Marshall. New Mexico has the 3rd pick I believe in both conferences and will likely select Utah St. if they lose in MWC Championship Game against SDSU or Nevada. Both of those aren't great matchups for us. However this is the most likely scenario that we have. The positive is it's a higher paying bowl, fans can travel and it's on a Saturday. The negative is we'll probably get more eyes on this game on a weekend without much else going on and they'll see us possibly get smoked! I hope we upset one of the snobby MWC teams, but we haven't beat a team with a winning record all year, so not very confident at this point.

The battle of the bedside shitter 💩
Z9uvaPq.jpg

If it ends up UTEP/USU it would be a rematch of the last time we played in the NW bowl, correct?

We could use the revenge factor!

lieb

Reactions: utep2step
The ESPN bowls don't go by picks. ESPN picks whatever match-ups they think will sell best.

That's another reason I would like for the Sun Bowl to eventually join ESPN. So we can have stop having so many repeat schools.

I expect us to get matched up in the NM Bowl vs Wyoming. It's a very winnable game.

East Carolina just accepted a bid to the military bowl. We should know where we are going soon

East Carolina just accepted a bid to the military bowl. We should know where we are going soon
ECU and UTEP hadn't been bowling since 2014. Now we both have our first winning season since then. I remember we all thought Senter was going to bring his old coach Houston to UTEP.

If it ends up UTEP/USU it would be a rematch of the last time we played in the NW bowl, correct?

We could use the revenge factor!

lieb
New players and coaches only the fans would care about the rematch factor! I was there they handled us pretty well.

You're asking for us to get absolutely punished again. BSU beat 5 teams with winning records including BYU. They destroyed us the first time around. Our 7-5 record is not equal to their 7-5 record.
In a way yes. I want to see if this team is any different from the start of the season to the end of the season. I feel like we already know the answer.

In a way yes. I want to see if this team is any different from the start of the season to the end of the season. I feel like we already know the answer.
That Boise St game could change if Dimel keeps the newer up tiempo offense. I still don’t want to know the answer, especially to head into the off season. Honestly I don’t think many people from EP would go to it either

That Boise St game could change if Dimel keeps the newer up tiempo offense. I still don’t want to know the answer, especially to head into the off season. Honestly I don’t think many people from EP would go to it either
You're right better to find out next year when they beat the shit out of us in EP.

Reactions: kickballpro
Well, we certainly don’t want them to have the opportunity to threepeat against us.
I want Dimel to show us that the team is actually improving, during the season, and not that we reached 7 wins cuz we beat a bunch of crippled teams.

I want Dimel to show us that the team is actually improving, during the season, and not that we reached 7 wins cuz we beat a bunch of crippled teams.
I don’t think we need another game to know that it WAS the crippled and infirm that we beat. It is what it is.

I wanted anything other than the NM Bowl. Now I’m hoping and praying for Wyoming in the NM Bowl.

That’s a team we can hang with. Let’s break the seal, get our first bowl win in forever, then ask to play a team that uses both legs.

Just my .02 worth.

I don’t think we need another game to know that it WAS the crippled and infirm that we beat. It is what it is.

I wanted anything other than the NM Bowl. Now I’m hoping and praying for Wyoming in the NM Bowl.

That’s a team we can hang with. Let’s break the seal, get our first bowl win in forever, then ask to play a team that uses both legs.

Just my .02 worth.
100% agree with you but in my mind I think beating a .500 team, which would actually be the first in his time at UTEP, will end up doing more harm than good. Yes we win and break the bowl curse then we're more likely stuck with another 5 years of Dimel ball. I strongly believe that 8 wins is his ceiling. And we'll be lucky if he reaches another 8 wins more than once in the next 6 years.

Reactions: Rocketsr
100% agree with you but in my mind I think beating a .500 team, which would actually be the first in his time at UTEP, will end up doing more harm than good. Yes we win and break the bowl curse then we're more likely stuck with another 5 years of Dimel ball. I strongly believe that 8 wins is his ceiling. And we'll be lucky if he reaches another 8 wins more than once in the next 6 years.
I get what you’re saying too. While I can appreciate the “progress” Dimel has made over 4 years, I certainly wouldn’t want 5 more years of his brand of offense.

With that said, I think we’re only a Frank Harris type of QB, a decent TE, and a competent play caller away from being a 9-10 win team. Maybe a bowl win helps in the recruiting department toward that end.

The ESPN bowls don't go by picks. ESPN picks whatever match-ups they think will sell best.

That's another reason I would like for the Sun Bowl to eventually join ESPN. So we can have stop having so many repeat schools.

I expect us to get matched up in the NM Bowl vs Wyoming. It's a very winnable game.
Wyoming played NM when they didn't have their top 7 receivers out like when we did. You can't compare apples to apples. They also played a much tougher schedule and beat teams with a winning record. The only thing we can hope for is that they don't want to be in that bowl game and play like it, otherwise, we will not win the game.

I do agree with you other post. This guy beats a .500 Wyoming team and gets 8 wins, they will reward him with an extension and we will be screwed. We won't have this kind of horrible schedule at least for the next couple of years, when everyone leaves the conference, and we know it is really a mirage.

Reactions: JCorona
Wyoming played NM when they didn't have their top 7 receivers out like when we did. You can't compare apples to apples. They also played a much tougher schedule and beat teams with a winning record. The only thing we can hope for is that they don't want to be in that bowl game and play like it, otherwise, we will not win the game.

I do agree with you other post. This guy beats a .500 Wyoming team and gets 8 wins, they will reward him with an extension and we will be screwed. We won't have this kind of horrible schedule at least for the next couple of years, when everyone leaves the conference, and we know it is really a mirage.
Unless Wyoming comes back against Hawaii there's no way they go to the New Mexico Bowl! As I mentioned they have the 3rd pick in MWC. No way they choose a 6-6 Wyoming team over Nevada, Utah St. or Boise St.

Unless Wyoming comes back against Hawaii there's no way they go to the New Mexico Bowl! As I mentioned they have the 3rd pick in MWC. No way they choose a 6-6 Wyoming team over Nevada, Utah St. or Boise St.
Fresno and Air Force too. I seriously doubt Boise St is in play for the NM Bowl to avoid a rematch with UTEP.

Where’d you hear that? From my understanding, Where MWC bowl participants play is based upon geography and “best” match-ups.

Utah State will be in a better bowl at 9-3. Boise State, despite having the same record as us, will have at least another bowl option or two. Nevada is a strong possibility. It’ll be either Wyoming or Nevada is my guess.

Where’d you hear that? From my understanding, Where MWC bowl participants play is based upon geography and “best” match-ups.

Utah State will be in a better bowl at 9-3. Boise State, despite having the same record as us, will have at least another bowl option or two. Nevada is a strong possibility. It’ll be either Wyoming or Nevada is my guess.
Only the Sun Bowl, Arizona Bowl, and Holiday Bowl aren’t on ESPN/ESPN2/ABC.

ESPN will work with bowls to place teams where they want.

Reactions: MineroFanatico

New Mexico pays out the 2nd or 3rd highest of MWC Bowls

Reactions: MineroFanatico

I can tell you with 90% assurance it won't be Wyoming if they lose, which it looks like they will against Hawaii. They won't take a 6-6 Wyoming team over an 8-4 Nevada or 9-4 Utah St. team if they lose to SDSU in the MWC Championship Game. SDSU Fresno St Boise St and Air Force are probably going elsewhere. So why would they take Wyoming out of the choices they'd have remaining??

"The Mountain West doesn’t have a true pecking order. The bowl matchups are based on best possible games and geography. The conference is guaranteed to have six bowl slots during each bowl season until 2025-2026."

Same applies to CUSA...

ESPN will decide who goes where and who they play.

New Mexico pays out the 2nd or 3rd highest of MWC Bowls
Gotcha. I think they’re third in payout $$$. I don’t think it necessarily works that way though. The payout difference is negligible. Especially seeing as how the payout is divided up amongst the whole conference.

I think geography and match up is given more weight.

EDIT: I think that’s the article I got that info from, Corona. Can’t remember for sure. I read it a while ago. Nonetheless, same info.

"The Mountain West doesn’t have a true pecking order. The bowl matchups are based on best possible games and geography. The conference is guaranteed to have six bowl slots during each bowl season until 2025-2026."

Same applies to CUSA...

ESPN will decide who goes where and who they play.
NM Bowl: Utep vs Nevada/Utah St. 70%
Or
Frisco Bowl: UTEP vs Memphis 20%

New Orleans Bowl: UTEP vs Louisiana 10%

Unless there's a bowl swap I think those are our 3 choices if I had to handicap it

With UNT’s win over UTSA, it looks like we’re going to the NM bowl. That really sucks! It looks like UNT will be going to the Frisco Bowl. The Frisco Bowl would have been great.

Reactions: shyminer81
NM Bowl: Utep vs Nevada/Utah St. 70%
Or
Frisco Bowl: UTEP vs Memphis 20%

New Orleans Bowl: UTEP vs Louisiana 10%

Unless there's a bowl swap I think those are our 3 choices if I had to handicap it
ESPN isn’t going to send UTEP to New Orleans to play a 10 win Louisiana. They want competitive bowls, not a game nobody will watch after the 1st quarter.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT