ADVERTISEMENT

Problems in a program

Tribalwarriorx

All Star
Mar 20, 2013
When I mentioned how detrimental playing politics on a team can be, especially given the Leftwich - Simpson thing, I saw this article today and thought I'd share it. It's not exclusive to UTEP, but it illustrates the damage that can happen to any team when that happens. Texas A&M being one of the more higher profile programs.

http://houston.cbslocal.com/2015/10...e-loom-larger-than-regaining-his-teams-trust/

Reactions: El Paso Chihuahuas
I dont think there are politics at play at qb. From what ive seen Leftwich is the best qb on the roster at this point. Simpson has had discipline problems for a while. He almost got kicked off the team in 2013. He seemed to mature last year but he has regressed this year. I dont think its politics just discipline issues.

I dont think there are politics at play at qb. From what ive seen Leftwich is the best qb on the roster at this point. Simpson has had discipline problems for a while. He almost got kicked off the team in 2013. He seemed to mature last year but he has regressed this year. I dont think its politics just discipline issues.

It may or may not be with Simpson, but the whole politics thing wasn't just aimed at the Simpson - Leftwich thing. That was just the high profile position. It was elsewhere as well. I'm not versed in the entire issues but I've heard enough to know kids don't quit a team if they think they have or are getting a fair shot. Much less treated fairly. That - and they are in the past, but it's reason enough that Kugs should probably do a re-eval on himself, his style (he won't) and his staff. Again, I'm saying this at the same time I maintain my respect for him.

Reactions: El Paso Chihuahuas
It may or may not be with Simpson, but the whole politics thing wasn't just aimed at the Simpson - Leftwich thing. That was just the high profile position. It was elsewhere as well. I'm not versed in the entire issues but I've heard enough to know kids don't quit a team if they think they have or are getting a fair shot. Much less treated fairly. That - and they are in the past, but it's reason enough that Kugs should probably do a re-eval on himself, his style (he won't) and his staff. Again, I'm saying this at the same time I maintain my respect for him.

I agree with that point. I thinks its apparent in the backfield. I think going forward into the final five games we have to find a feature back for next year. Jones has been hurt three straight years hes not a feature back. I would be tempted to play him in the slot. I do think politics has kept some of the young backs off the field.

Yea, seems like Simpson had the same issues when Showers came in too....if he's not starting seems like he loses interest. But I havent heard from anyone that our locker room is divided....that could spell trouble for sure. But seemed like a team unified last nite...maybe not???

Reactions: UTEPDefense

Leftwich, Simpson, Showers, Metz, Bush, Obama, Cheney, Hillary....whoever and whatever! Why? Why? Why? Did it take Kugler so damn long to throw in a productive passing game? Can you just imagine if this passing game existed for the majority of Kugler's games? What a difference it makes, huh coach?!!

Solve the dropsies of waaaaay to many passes and UTEP has a legit shot at upsetting USM next week!

Think about it. Leftwich has another career day at USM and pulls out the win, which UTEP has done before, at "The Rock". Rice is coming off a La. Tech game, which is going to take everything AND the kitchen sink for them to pull off. Rice then has to travel to UTEP and UTEP is coming off a two game win streak with the confidence they need!

Now if that happens, Kugler needs to say "Oh, I'm sorry about that comment I said about the fans and help fill the Sun Bowl!" Nothing would be sweeter than finally putting an end to Rice's win streak against UTEP.

But, one game at a time.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
I agree with that point. I thinks its apparent in the backfield. I think going forward into the final five games we have to find a feature back for next year. Jones has been hurt three straight years hes not a feature back. I would be tempted to play him in the slot. I do think politics has kept some of the young backs off the field.

Agreed. Jones isn't the type of back that they try to run him as. Which is why I'm an advocate for them switching to the spread, but not with that OC! Jones is a very good RB, but trying to give him the ball 25-30+ times a game isn't good for anyone. The fact that he's been injured like that is exhibit A.

Leftwich, Simpson, Showers, Metz, Bush, Obama, Cheney, Hillary....whoever and whatever! Why? Why? Why? Did it take Kugler so damn long to throw in a productive passing game? Can you just imagine if this passing game existed for the majority of Kugler's games? What a difference it makes, huh coach?!!

Solve the dropsies of waaaaay to many passes and UTEP has a legit shot at upsetting USM next week!

Think about it. Leftwich has another career day at USM and pulls out the win, which UTEP has done before, at "The Rock". Rice is coming off a La. Tech game, which is going to take everything AND the kitchen sink for them to pull off. Rice then has to travel to UTEP and UTEP is coming off a two game win streak with the confidence they need!

Now if that happens, Kugler needs to say "Oh, I'm sorry about that comment I said about the fans and help fill the Sun Bowl!" Nothing would be sweeter than finally putting an end to Rice's win streak against UTEP.

But, one game at a time.

Kugs talked about having a balanced offense but it always ended up with giving the ball to Jones a gazillion times. The hardest part for any coach is recognizing their own tendencies and avoiding them. Him passing the ball is welcomed, but certainly given the first two games of the season, it wasn't a rallying cry to break with the obvious game plan. Now if he could just get that OL to be more physical and more nasty for 60 minutes, then there you go.

Jones not a feature back?
Agreed. Jones isn't the type of back that they try to run him as. Which is why I'm an advocate for them switching to the spread, but not with that OC! Jones is a very good RB, but trying to give him the ball 25-30+ times a game isn't good for anyone. The fact that he's been injured like that is exhibit A.

UTEP is not switching to the spread. What can be done is for them to call a more balanced game, and give Jones a breather once in a while. He's talented but Kugler is putting a lot of miles on him and running him to the ground. This isn't the NFL Kugler and if you want to keep your best weapon healthy for the whole year, you need a more balanced attack and more rotation in that RB spot.

UTEP is not switching to the spread. What can be done is for them to call a more balanced game, and give Jones a breather once in a while. He's talented but Kugler is putting a lot of miles on him and running him to the ground. This isn't the NFL Kugler and if you want to keep your best weapon healthy for the whole year, you need a more balanced attack and more rotation in that RB spot.

Nobody said they were switching to the spread. And no one said Jones wasn't a "feature back." I said Jones isn't a 25-30+ carries a game RB. He's physically not built for that. If you think that's a slight against his talent, have a cup of coffee because it's not. Even if Kugs had a balanced offense, you're not going to get that 25+ avg carries with Jones for a full season slamming him into the backside of an OL that has a hard time moving people. The virtues of the spread are creating running lanes by not having to physically "move" a body, but simply responding to the movement of that body. Big difference in blocking schemes.

Having a balanced offense just keeps the defense quasi honest and from stacking the box. But having a balanced offense means having a WR group that can get off the press, get separation and most importantly, catch the ball.

Jones is not a feature back. That doesnt mean he's a bad player just thats hes not durable. He has missed games in all three seasons at UTEP, chances are very high he will miss games next year. Jones is a good player he should probably get 12-14 touches a game. What the past three seasons has shown us is that Jones isnt a feature back. We need to develop a young back for the future.

Reactions: Tribalwarriorx
Nobody said they were switching to the spread. And no one said Jones wasn't a "feature back." I said Jones isn't a 25-30+ carries a game RB. He's physically not built for that. If you think that's a slight against his talent, have a cup of coffee because it's not. Even if Kugs had a balanced offense, you're not going to get that 25+ avg carries with Jones for a full season slamming him into the backside of an OL that has a hard time moving people. The virtues of the spread are creating running lanes by not having to physically "move" a body, but simply responding to the movement of that body. Big difference in blocking schemes.

Having a balanced offense just keeps the defense quasi honest and from stacking the box. But having a balanced offense means having a WR group that can get off the press, get separation and most importantly, catch the ball.

You just said you are an advocate of switching to the spread. Perhaps u should lighten up on that coffee.

We are all on the same page here--less carries for jones, and pass the ball more often.

Kugs talked about having a balanced offense but it always ended up with giving the ball to Jones a gazillion times. The hardest part for any coach is recognizing their own tendencies and avoiding them. Him passing the ball is welcomed, but certainly given the first two games of the season, it wasn't a rallying cry to break with the obvious game plan. Now if he could just get that OL to be more physical and more nasty for 60 minutes, then there you go.

One little snippet before every game, including the last one, the color commentators are stating that Kugler is telling them that he wants to stick to the run. Great, but the problem is that he doesn't have a running back that can carry the demand he wants, especially against quality opponents. However, during Monday pressers he tells the local media he's working on the passing game and having his assistants "evaluate" things to improve productivity. Ok...whatever? Put it in the damn air coach! You don't have the rb's to accomplish a grind it out game, especially not for the next two opponents.

The O Line took control mid point in the 4th and sealed the win. But they will not get away with that against USM and definitely not Rice. Rice's defensive line is stronger than UTEP O line.

Reactions: Tribalwarriorx
You just said you are an advocate of switching to the spread. Perhaps u should lighten up on that coffee.

We are all on the same page here--less carries for jones, and pass the ball more often.

I said I was an advocate. I didn't say they were. Big, huge, Texas flag size difference. *sips tea*

UTEP is not switching to the spread...

Dude, did you or did you not write that? I realize you have stuff you want to say, but at least remember what you wrote. Now if you want to continue with your immature donkey comment, try the kiddie room. This is for adults.

Dude did you not write you were an advocate of the spread?

Don't get your panties in a wad buddy. It's a forum, a UTEP fan forum. Again, we are all on the same page-- less carries for jones, pass the ball more, you are an advocate of the spread offense, I believe we will never change to that offense, u are an advocate but knew they would never change, u believe I need more coffee, I believe u need much less coffee.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT