ADVERTISEMENT

Pros and Cons of being in same league with NMSU

NoNCAAWinsSince1992

MI Miner Maniac
Nov 12, 2019
Isn’t for sure yet, but is very likely happening. Deny it if you want to though, I don’t care.

Pros:
Games will have more meaning
Final game of football and basketball season should be this game. Should put a little more zest in the rivalry now.
2 more non-conference basketball games opened up
1 non-conference football game opened up

Cons:
2 more non-conference basketball games opened up. Senter might replace them with more D2 games or two home games versus 300+ NET teams.
1 more non-conference football game opened. Like basketball, maybe this will be beneficial and we will see games versus AAC and SBC teams or more P5 paycheck games. Will probably result in a higher percentage of losses than playing NMSU like we do now.

TBD:
If NMSU outperforms UTEP in league standings and head to head, do they jump in front of UTEP if the MWC expands? Hard to imagine the MWC takes the worst of the two. Especially since everything would be level.

Do both school pursue the same sponsors? Reason I ask is following up on TBD…..if NMSU outperforms UTEP, do sponsors take their money up to Cruces?

Reactions: picks up
Do both school pursue the same sponsors? Reason I ask is following up on TBD…..if NMSU outperforms UTEP, do sponsors take their money up to Cruces?
I am not sure if they do or not. I am not sure it would be a big deal either. El Paso is a lot larger than Las Cruces, kind of limiting your audience if you choose to advertise in Las Cruces and not El Paso.

Isn’t for sure yet, but is very likely happening. Deny it if you want to though, I don’t care.

Pros:
Final game of football and basketball season should be this game. Should put a little more zest in the rivalry now.

Cons:
2 more non-conference basketball games opened up. Senter might replace them with more D2 games or two home games versus 300+ NET teams.
1 more non-conference football game opened. Like basketball, maybe this will be beneficial and we will see games versus AAC and SBC teams or more P5 paycheck games. Will probably result in a higher percentage of losses than playing NMSU like we do now.

TBD:
If NMSU outperforms UTEP in league standings and head to head, do they jump in front of UTEP if the MWC expands? Hard to imagine the MWC takes the worst of the two. Especially since everything would be level.
Good post good analysis

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
I’m fine being in the same conference as NMSU. Especially given our apparent limited options.

I’ve always liked the rivalry anyway.

We know minerforlife, it’s NOT a rivalry.🙄
Yeah, he’s uber pissed since instead of going Independent and WAC, the WAC and Independent are coming to us. He will try to spin it though or say he’s not giving money anymore.

It makes sense for both of us to be together. Senter is already BFF with their AD. Together that would be 2 votes on any matters that come up in expansion and whatever else conferences deal with.

I don't think we will have the money anymore to buy d2 or 300+ net teams.

Imo those ooc games will be replaced by money games. We'll be getting 2 or 3 body bag games in football. In basketball we'll be forced to take on the Kansas and Kentucky's of the college world. Who knows maybe we beat them or keep it respectable.

Imo, like you said, the only possible con is to tbd. They won't have that shitty independent schedule anymore and might actually be competitive in football. If they ran this league and were invited to the MW over us that would definitely be the death blow of UTEP.

Imo, like you said, the only possible con is to tbd. They won't have that shitty independent schedule anymore and might actually be competitive in football. If they ran this league and were invited to the MW over us that would definitely be the death blow of UTEP.
UTEP has a head start in football. NMSU will likely get rid of Martin soon, but they’re looking at a huge rebuild for the next coach. They didn’t really play last year and I think I remember hearing they had a lot of guys transfer, not that they were that good to begin with. I can’t imagine their recruiting is going good with a lame duck coach. Getting in a conference will make the job a little more attractive, but I’d be surprised if they get anyone that will make us jealous.

UTEP has a head start in football. NMSU will likely get rid of Martin soon, but they’re looking at a huge rebuild for the next coach. They didn’t really play last year and I think I remember hearing they had a lot of guys transfer, not that they were that good to begin with. I can’t imagine their recruiting is going good with a lame duck coach. Getting in a conference will make the job a little more attractive, but I’d be surprised if they get anyone that will make us jealous.
We have a big head start on any of the new schools that join. FIU and MTSU have been trending down for a while. The first few years will be a battle between UTEP, WKU and LT. If we can take advantage of this situation and win a few conference titles before everyone catches up we'll be on to something.

We have a big head start on any of the new schools that join. FIU and MTSU have been trending down for a while. The first few years will be a battle between UTEP, WKU and LT. If we can take advantage of this situation and win a few conference titles before everyone catches up we'll be on to something.
I don’t believe FIU has said anything about this round of realignment. Maybe they try Independence or drop football/FCS? Aside from being a number, they won’t be missed if they left CUSA.

Recruiting for UTEP is likely to suffer if a couple of Texas fcs move up. Let's say SFA and SHSU both move up to join CUSA. Both would go from 65 to 85 scholarships and both are a lot closer to prime Texas recruits and their mom's and dad's. NMSU will suffer the same way. UTEP needs to recruit nation wide if they can afford to.

The biggest con is having two schools in an econically depressed area on the same level for sponsors.
It also weakens the very small TV market. We've sucked but if we're in a top 50 TV market we're in the MWC and aren't having this conversation. Having two schools in the same market splits the already small market that we need to dominate. With stagnant economic growth and nothing push population growth except for local birth rates outpacing the death rates the market will always be shit. The TV market is probably not that big a deal because of rampant poverty and no economic magnets.

The positives are in a remote area they provide us a travel partner and help cut down travel cost for everyone else's olympic sports.

It's opens up two slots in the non conference basketball. I think the home and home was always stupid. With attendance bottoming out we could use two money games on the road.

I think playing in the same conference will put pressure on UTEP to put a good product on the field. I think that's positive.

At this point I think positives outweigh the negatives. The past two decades this has been a very friendly series. Not alot of annymosity between the two s hools or the fans for that matter. Being in a conference could change that or make it more docile. Playing games late in the season could be meaningless or maybe both squads will be good and turn the heat up on the series.

Historically they are better at basketball and we are better at football. I expect that to continue. We will kick their ass in football and they'll kick our ass in basketball.

In the end they've been an fbs team for their entire history. That outweighs any cons when looking for schools to join the conference.

Recruiting for UTEP is likely to suffer if a couple of Texas fcs move up. Let's say SFA and SHSU both move up to join CUSA. Both would go from 65 to 85 scholarships and both are a lot closer to prime Texas recruits and their mom's and dad's. NMSU will suffer the same way. UTEP needs to recruit nation wide if they can afford to.
That's why I've been adamant we stay away from the Texas WAC schools. You make a great point. I'll add it also makes it harder to recruit when they have accented into a conference. Especially when we have decented in to the same conference.

Reactions: Lil_Train
The biggest con is having two schools in an econically depressed area on the same level for sponsors.
It also weakens the very small TV market. We've sucked but if we're in a top 50 TV market we're in the MWC and aren't having this conversation. Having two schools in the same market splits the already small market that we need to dominate. With stagnant economic growth and nothing push population growth except for local birth rates outpacing the death rates the market will always be shit. The TV market is probably not that big a deal because of rampant poverty and no economic magnets.

The positives are in a remote area they provide us a travel partner and help cut down travel cost for everyone else's olympic sports.

It's opens up two slots in the non conference basketball. I think the home and home was always stupid. With attendance bottoming out we could use two money games on the road.

I think playing in the same conference will put pressure on UTEP to put a good product on the field. I think that's positive.

At this point I think positives outweigh the negatives. The past two decades this has been a very friendly series. Not alot of annymosity between the two s hools or the fans for that matter. Being in a conference could change that or make it more docile. Playing games late in the season could be meaningless or maybe both squads will be good and turn the heat up on the series.

Historically they are better at basketball and we are better at football. I expect that to continue. We will kick their ass in football and they'll kick our ass in basketball.

In the end they've been an fbs team for their entire history. That outweighs any cons when looking for schools to join the conference.
I don’t think that’s true…at least anything more than marginally. UTEP fans hate NMSU and NMSU fans hate UTEP.

NMSU is not gonna dip into our market any more than a thimble can empty the ocean.

Why exactly would it weaken the market? I think you would see a lot more Aggie fans watching the UTEP games because of common opponents. Overall there should be a whole lot more interest in the area because, theoretically, UTEP should be in the run for conference titles more often with a watered down CUSA. The rivalry would be put on steroids.

Why exactly would it weaken the market? I think you would see a lot more Aggie fans watching the UTEP games because of common opponents. Overall there should be a whole lot more interest in the area because, theoretically, UTEP should be in the run for conference titles more often with a watered down CUSA. The rivalry would be put on steroids.
That's exactly what I was about to type out. I watched the FAU game Thursday night cuz that's our next opponent. I'll be watching the UTSA game tonight cuz that's our next home game. If we're both winning, which we should, we'll be keeping closer tabs on each other.

That's why I've been adamant we stay away from the Texas WAC schools. You make a great point. I'll add it also makes it harder to recruit when they have accented into a conference. Especially when we have decented in to the same conference.
You claim to be a big donor, but do not know how to spell “ascend” and “descend”.

• Haha
Reactions: T-6 Miner
I'm talking about strictly the TV market which is small. We don't have a top 50 TV market so need to dominate the one we have. Being in the same conference we can't claim we bring the entire market. Being in the same conference as NMSU we'll use some of our market share.

TV markets has been what's driving realignment. In the end I don't think Dl Paso-Las Cruces market will ever be big enough to be valuable to either school in expansion. The loss of market share is probably negligible.

That's exactly what I was about to type out. I watched the FAU game Thursday night cuz that's our next opponent. I'll be watching the UTSA game tonight cuz that's our next home game. If we're both winning, which we should, we'll be keeping closer tabs on each other.
Assuming CUSA has an outlet for us to watch them on…

I'm 100% sure if nobody bid on us we could still go and tell ESPN take all of our inventory for free and put it on ESPN+. They would take it.
You’re probably right. It still takes money to produce and link up to a satellite to broadcast it. Lose money every time out. In the long term, you need some kind of rights fee for your product. If we’re not getting money, how many times do you think we will log on to the FIU feed and they claim “transmission” problems or something?

You’re probably right. It still takes money to produce and link up to a satellite to broadcast it. Lose money every time out. In the long term, you need some kind of rights fee for your product. If we’re not getting money, how many times do you think we will log on to the FIU feed and they claim “transmission” problems or something?
I'm not sure how it works but if Southland can have a TV deal with ESPN+ I'm sure we'll get a similar package.

I'm not sure how it works but if Southland can have a TV deal with ESPN+ I'm sure we'll get a similar package.
You’re right. There’s no mention of what the money is on those deals though, probably peanuts. Hypothetically, someone like FloSports, DAZN, or a random TV channel could decide to offer the league a package. I love ESPN+ and think it’s great, but you really won’t grow your product as you CAN on “real” TV.

Reactions: JCorona
You’re right. There’s no mention of what the money is on those deals though, probably peanuts. Hypothetically, someone like FloSports, DAZN, or a random TV channel could decide to offer the league a package. I love ESPN+ and think it’s great, but you really won’t grow your product as you CAN on “real” TV.
They probably just cover the production costs. I don't believe we will have any of those companies bidding on our TV deal. It would be a pleasant surprise if they do. They didn't do it when we had 9 of the top 50 TV markets they certainly won't now. Our best hope is to at least get to watch our games on ESPN+.

I think a pro is that we will have an ok basketball conference: NMSU, Western Kentucky, and Louisiana Tech. Middle Tennessee and us can hopefully get better. SHSU is ok in basketball if my memory is correct.

Another pro is that less teams presents less games in the conference tournament which might make it easier to get in the NCAA tournament

Another potential pro: could we start hosting CUSA basketball tournaments again? NMSU and UTEP could co-host

Potential con: all the basketball schools get worse and our auto bid is a 16 seed every year

I think a pro is that we will have an ok basketball conference: NMSU, Western Kentucky, and Louisiana Tech. Middle Tennessee and us can hopefully get better. SHSU is ok in basketball if my memory is correct.

Another pro is that less teams presents less games in the conference tournament which might make it easier to get in the NCAA tournament

Another potential pro: could we start hosting CUSA basketball tournaments again? NMSU and UTEP could co-host

Potential con: all the basketball schools get worse and our auto bid is a 16 seed every year
Yes, you’re right. Basketball could get better. Still a 1 bid league, but not a 14 team piece of shit, hopefully. SHSU has been better recently at basketball. FIU is shitty, Tarleton is shitty right now, they may get better. Will probably focus on football though. So yeah, a bit “better” is definitely possible.

Reactions: picks up
Tarleton St was a very good d2 ball team. If Billy still has it they should be competitive at d1 too.
If they give him a few years. Everybody wants it now. Including myself. Feel like we’re in the same boat, tho. Gotta give Golding 3-4 years.

The only game I watched of Tarleton’s last year, they played aTm tight until the last 2-3 minutes of the game.

Reactions: TxRdKiller
If they give him a few years. Everybody wants it now. Including myself. Feel like we’re in the same boat, tho. Gotta give Golding 3-4 years.

The only game I watched of Tarleton’s last year, they played aTm tight until the last 2-3 minutes of the game.
Billy deserves more time transitioning a D2 team to D1 than Golding does. Golding gets a free pass this season. Can’t accept 12th place finish in year 2. Not here, not now.

Reactions: TxRdKiller
I don’t believe FIU has said anything about this round of realignment. Maybe they try Independence or drop football/FCS? Aside from being a number, they won’t be missed if they left CUSA.
It looks like the conference office is catering to La Tech and UTEP in this effort to rebuild the league. Have not heard of possible addition near Florida or Tn/Ky. The conference probably knows that WKU and MT will soon move on to the MAC.

It looks like the conference office is catering to La Tech and UTEP in this effort to rebuild the league. Have not heard of possible addition near Florida or Tn/Ky. The conference probably knows that WKU and MT will soon move on to the MAC.
Well Tennessee and Kentucky are a little less out of the way than ODU or FIU. Right now, CUSA kind of needs them, as 2 more FBS football teams would have to be added. Full members too, not UConn and UMass.

Pros:

Cons:

TBD:

As an Alum of both schools, NMSU and UTEP being in the same conference is a dream come true.

TBH your "cons" can easily be spun as pros. Freeing up 2 OOC games in hoops gives both schools an opportunity to schedule either more lucrative/tougher games to build a resume, or soften the schedule to build confidence. When both schools play each other twice OOC, it never fails that one school is better than the other and for the team that's looking for the post season, those two games that were split or even won can drag down the RPI and SOS. Even in a single bid league, this sort of thing matters for seeding. It's rare over the last 30 years for both teams to be successful at the same time. Opening up an OOC game in football/hoops likely means UTEP can schedule UNM every season as well, which to me is a must for the Rio Grande rivalry.

The TBD is a non issue. UTEP I think will always have priority over NMSU in a potential MWC invite scenario. Even if NMSU manages to build some sort of football success, I think UTEPs greater share of the media market takes priority. Ideally though, if the Big 12 ever plucks Boise or SDSU, both NMSU and UTEP would hopefully get a callup.

Reactions: JeeberD
Almost sure that when NMSU and UTEP play, football and basketball the agreement is we keep our gate and they keep theirs. Travel cost is almost nil. In this case we lose the out on a non- conference game which allow us to make a profit without a pay guarantee. Since the games are for the most part attended better than the average this could represent a loss in revenue for both. These out of conference games will have to be replaced, likely with a money game or another away game.

NMSU has back, to back, to back etc. in NCAA tournament play. That’s a damn good bargaining chip. That money folks and if UTEP is not for NMSU it’s tough to debate against.

All off college football recruits Texas, it’s a hotbed from El Paso to Texarkana. Let’s not forget Price recruited small town Texas and got some gems. Gary Nord got Howard who was undersized from Lubbock and we know what he became.

Dimel can recruit and is respected amongst college P5 schools and it was Texas who called Dimel on Cowing who was a P5 recruit who qualified way to late as P5 schools moved on from him.

Sun Belt is plucking JMU who is solid FCS school and will compete in basketball. CUSA needs to do the same.

NMSU at this point in history is a no brainer and will bring CUSA more legitimacy in basketball.

Where here folks. UTEP needs NMSU. I can live with it.

[UTEP to NMSU] “(I just died) in your arms tonight”-Cutting Crew; 1986

Sun Belt is plucking JMU who is solid FCS school and will compete in basketball. CUSA needs to do the same.

NMSU at this point in history is a no brainer and will bring CUSA more legitimacy in basketball.
JMU sucks at basketball. What are they gonna compete for? 5th place? They have a new arena though.

Almost sure that when NMSU and UTEP play, football and basketball the agreement is we keep our gate and they keep theirs. Travel cost is almost nil. In this case we lose the out on a non- conference game which allow us to make a profit without a pay guarantee. Since the games are for the most part attended better than the average this could represent a loss in revenue for both. These out of conference games will have to be replaced, likely with a money game or another away game.
When UTEP was getting 7-8k a game, they were making profit on all basketball games. Maybe if they gave us something to cheer about, this won’t be an issue. Time will tell.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT