ADVERTISEMENT

Question to miner fans

DBminer

All Star
Dec 15, 2018
Sorry if this duplicated but phone issues —- in my opinion and I have followed Utep sports since 1985 — to me this has been the worst time to be a miner fan —- we aren’t relevant in ANYTHING — we don’t have a good conference , lost fan support, football is stuck in neutral, been left behind time and time again —- even this board is dead half the time —- I can’t think of a more depressing time to be a miner fan at least for me —- is there any hope on the horizon ?

I mean we don’t really even have any cool miner gear — at least none that I have seen

Last edited:
Sorry if this duplicated but phone issues —- in my opinion and I have followed Utep sports since 1985 — to me this has been the worst time to be a miner fan —- we aren’t relevant in ANYTHING — we don’t have a good conference , lost fan support, football is stuck in neutral, been left behind time and time again —- even this board is dead half the time —- I can’t think of a more depressing time to be a miner fan at least for me —- is there any hope on the horizon ?
It’s not that bad, but it’s frustrating to be passed up by everyone and for the school to hang on to coaches that they probably shouldn’t.

Nothing was as bad as the 2001-02 and 02-03 athletic years.

What a stupid if not devious post. You know this is a fan blog? You know there's a Conference basketball game coming up, right? You know UTEP coaches are working hard, recruiting hard and pushing for success. You pouring gas, lighting a match and throwing s*** around is your idea of constructive criticism? Trolling must be really satisfyingly for some obviously lonely people I guess...
Oh and, Go Miners!

Reactions: MinerDave
The only potential hope, is CUSA is about to potentially suck even more... Could UTEP, be the NMSU of CUSA? That NMSU was in the WAC for basketball? I don't think so, but it could lead to a winning season, and a bowl game. Just win. Basketball, I have no clue, what to think, I really don't see Golding do much, and hope I am wrong. It's a gloomy orange, in Miner land...

What a stupid if not devious post. You know this is a fan blog? You know there's a Conference basketball game coming up, right? You know UTEP coaches are working hard, recruiting hard and pushing for success. You pouring gas, lighting a match and throwing s*** around is your idea of constructive criticism? Trolling must be really satisfyingly for some obviously lonely people I guess...
Oh and, Go Miners!
Just a simple question must have hit a nerve there — you can completely disagree with me — just curious —- what hope so you see on the horizon ? And yes a fan blog —- that’s why I asked all 15 of us is there any hope around the corner ? I think Utep has a glimmer with Golding at the helm but football which makes athletics go around is stuck in neutral —- and our fan support once a strong point is getting weaker by the year —- so please enlighten me — where is Utep athletics getting stronger in football/ basketball ?

And looking at your response you didn’t answer ONE QUESTION

I've lost more than half of my interest in Miner sports. I haven't been to any games this year (Used to be a season ticket holder in MBB). Our president is ok with our teams being .500 in a weak conference, our AD seems useless and the city/support is too poor to change anything/keep up with the times. Our time has passed (mid to late 2000s was our chance), but it's virtually impossible for me to root for any other team. I'm stuck as a Miner fan, but the passion has faded from what it was 30, 20 and 10 years ago.

I don’t think this is worse than any other time in UTEP history, it’s just we’ve all been supporting so long it’s hard to get excited year in and year out. The fanbase has suffered a lot in the last 20 plus years.

man o man o man, everyone seems to be going negative, when talking about the Miner athletic future.
For me, the past is the past, I truly believe the future looks to get better. The footbal program has been building from the ground up since Dimel came along. But, 2023 will be the year for our breakout football program.. 8 wins plus a bowl win..
Basketball will still be in a year 3 building mode with a breakout season in 2024...
Get with the program, stand proud, get loud and enjoy the ride...

just say, " if Hollywood believes it, so do I ..."
can I get a high five from everyone ...✋

I wonder how much support UTEP lost by having the Chihuahuas (who win) and Locomotives (who are decent for being a new team) in terms of season ticket holders not renewing etc.

El Pasoans craved for things to do since growing up I heard there was “nothing to do”. Now that there is and UTEP is no longer the “main show in town” this maybe is the new norm?

Reactions: FarWestTexas
man o man o man, everyone seems to be going negative, when talking about the Miner athletic future.
For me, the past is the past, I truly believe the future looks to get better. The footbal program has been building from the ground up since Dimel came along. But, 2023 will be the year for our breakout football program.. 8 wins plus a bowl win..
Basketball will still be in a year 3 building mode with a breakout season in 2024...

Next year will have to be a make or break year for Dimel. OOC games vs UIW, Northwestern, Arizona and UNLV. 2-2 might be a reach.

I think I agree that this is the darkest time for UTEP athletics. It is especially important now that the football team be successful, as we can't get left behind if there is further movement amongst conferences. I'd like to see us move up to the MWC, but we have no shot in our current state. NMSU is passing us by. We had great attendance a decade ago when CUSA and MWC were talking merger and when MWC tried to invite UTEP. We had solid basketball and a respectable football program (although 7 straight losing seasons). Basketball is meh right now. Football is a little bit more respectable than a couple years ago, but El Paso doesn't embrace the team anymore (although they have proven they will come out if the team proves its a winner). We blew it against UTSA and UNT and the fans may not come back. The conference schedule is only going to get worse next year, so unless utep gets over the hump and finally starts competing for the conference championship, it's going to only get worse. It used to be 15k loyal football fans showing up to the games... now it's down to 10k. Soon we will be at 5k. It's worrisome.

I wonder how much support UTEP lost by having the Chihuahuas (who win) and Locomotives (who are decent for being a new team) in terms of season ticket holders not renewing etc.

El Pasoans craved for things to do since growing up I heard there was “nothing to do”. Now that there is and UTEP is no longer the “main show in town” this maybe is the new norm?
Barely any. Chihuahuas and Locomotive don’t play UTEP sports and they play mostly in the summer, not in direct competition with UTEP football and basketball.

Only people who sell UTEP tickets use that as an excuse. UTEP tickets don’t sell because of UTEP.

Reactions: unihorn
A piece of the puzzle that’s missing is the students. The olds who remember the glory days in basketball are really old now and haven’t been replaced.

Now, you can say students won’t support a loser, and of course there’s truth in that. But if they didn’t grow up going to basketball and football games with their parents, then there’s much more to attracting them than just being competitive.

I think like someone said the worst part of this is that it seems everyone is passing us by…..

I mean look at byu utah UTSA smu tcu etc…. Utep has soooo much potential it’s irritating we can’t ever seem to get over the hump —
Why do you say we have soooo much potential?

No one else views us that way. They all mark us down as a sure win.

Remote, thin recruiting area.

Relatively poor town.

Commuter students who work their way through college and don’t live on campus and aren’t good football/basketball fans.

Leadership that’s not committed to winning.

A bit of a drive for east siders.

Not saying we can’t win, but it’ll take a much better effort across the board.

Last edited:

Relatively poor town.

Commuter students who work their way through college and don’t live on campus and aren’t good football/basketball fans.

I say we have potential because if UTEP can just get 1% of the student body to show up and 1% of El Paso to show up, we will have 9k-10k every basketball game

It shouldn’t be too hard to connect to the 1-3% of the community.

I say we have potential because if UTEP can just get 1% of the student body to show up and 1% of El Paso to show up, we will have 9k-10k every basketball game

Yes, but how?

It shouldn’t be that hard, but our leadership has shown a reluctance to put any real effort towards that end…it appears anyway.

Results wise it has been worse in different eras of our history. The future looks depressing. We could justify the Dallas/San Antonio and big city schools passing us by cuz they're "bigger" and have "more money" and 100 other legitimate reasons why they left us behind. Reality is gonna hit us hard when future conference foes located in poor little towns win and do shit we haven't.

I don't know how to fix it. Money is not the answer right now. All it would do is provide higher salaries for the same results we have. The best we can hope is to win more of those 50/50 games and not embarrass ourselves in CUSA4.0.

Reactions: Lil_Train

I mean we don’t really even have any cool miner gear — at least none that I have seen
Legit question imo. As you stated, we aren’t relevant in ANYTHING…in a conference that’s becoming more and more irrelevant by the day. Fan support is dwindling as the olds die off faster than can be replenished by the young-bloods. Leadership seems content with a 50/50 chance of winning…whatever that means. The accumulation of years without the Miners winning anything significant is taking its toll on the die hards who have endured drought after drought after drought.

I grew up with friends who lived for Miner basketball and enjoyed fb. Of the 5 or 6 who still live in EP, not a single one could tell you the Miners record right now, in fb or bb. That’s a fairly new-ish development. Maybe within the last 3-4 years for most of them. Unfortunately, I think things are lookin’ pretty bleak in UTEPia.

Last edited:

Relatively poor town.

The drive thing is what really defines a lot of El Pasoans in my opinion. For a lot of locals anything not on their side of town is too far.

La Tech had nations longest OOC home winning streak. (ESPN commentator stated SFA was the last OOC team to beat LT and end it last night). The place had 2,469 and La Tech has been one of the best mid major programs in wins category the past ten years with SFA not far behind.

UAB had SEC S. Carolina at home last night. Had 5,126. Seriously?! SC is struggling mightily this OOC season but the DHC would be rocking with a SEC team at home.

Reactions: PickMyAxe915
Why don’t you also post that 8-1 WKU lost to previously winless Louisville last night?

The DHC would definitely not be rocking with a visit from South Carolina either.

Reactions: MinerFan79
No one like the AAC wants Ruston not because of just TV market, this town doesn’t support this strong mid major program. Look how empty that gym is?! ESPN was panning the fans all night and it was empty. I realize school is out for holidays but man.

If you don’t think we have a good conference nor just wait until next year lol. I agree with all of your points

Oh and, Go Miners!
Vegasminer will always reprimand and punish those posts/posters he doesn't like.

The UTEP philosophy: Didn’t happen this year, but next year will be the year.

No one like the AAC wants Ruston not because of just TV market, this town doesn’t support this strong mid major program. Look how empty that gym is?! ESPN was panning the fans all night and it was empty. I realize school is out for holidays but man.
And here’s the last UTEP home game

"How to increase attendance at sporting events
  1. Work around the community calendar.
  2. Increase the value to sports fans.
  3. Make your event listing comprehensive.
  4. Give attendees a sense of ownership.
  5. Increase the exposure of your event.
  6. Send sports event marketing emails.
  7. Social media for sports event promotion."https://www.eventbrite.com/blog/increase-attendance-sport-events-sell-tickets-ds00/
UTEP is not so great at #1. #2 is directly related to not winning enough games.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT