ADVERTISEMENT

Question: UTEP Alumni

Yes, and I would like to see more involvement with those outside of El Paso. It’s very hard to find others, from UTEP. When I did my own digging I found many in the PNW. It would be nice to build a database or even create a forum to discuss and meet others. Specific to UTEP in general, not just sports.

Yes, and I would like to see more involvement with those outside of El Paso. It’s very hard to find others, from UTEP. When I did my own digging I found many in the PNW. It would be nice to build a database or even create a forum to discuss and meet others. Specific to UTEP in general, not just sports.
There's a group of alumni in PNW that do the Pick-Nic each year and they haven't formed an official group yet. You can join MinerLink as well to connect with other alumni. Minerlink is UTEP social media network and Linkedin rolled into one. I am not a big fan of it, but it is what UTEP and Alumni Association wanted to use. I would keep an eye out for the Pick-Nic in 2022, but I will ask if we are forming an alumni group in PNW.

Our alumni association in Houston did a great job organizing a pep rally for the 2018 Rice game. It was really well done.

They were the same people who had to be kicked off the field by police after the win.

Alumni association in DFW had a good pep rally arranged at the 2019 UNT game and 2020 Conference USA tournament. Really impressive

Alumni association in DFW had a good pep rally arranged at the 2019 UNT game and 2020 Conference USA tournament. Really impressive
The main groups for involvement are San Antonio, DFW, and Houston, and Austin is starting to put things together as well. Denver is having good success recently as well. The interest groups that are growing are the Young Alumni Network, Social Work and Engineering.

Reactions: Cube Jack
Agree with Shyminer 100%. The alumni association needs to make efforts to connect with alumni outside El Paso. The outreach is almost non existent.

The main groups for involvement are San Antonio, DFW, and Houston, and Austin is starting to put things together as well.
I hang around with all of them whenever UTEP plays at their respective city. My only complaint has always been the lack of an away section for UTEP fans. Some games it's well organized and for others everyone is on their own.

I hang around with all of them whenever UTEP plays at their respective city. My only complaint has always been the lack of an away section for UTEP fans. Some games it's well organized and for others everyone is on their own.

Based off my experiences that comes down to the athletic dept. They need to request tickets for a certain section/area.

Agree with Shyminer 100%. The alumni association needs to make efforts to connect with alumni outside El Paso. The outreach is almost non existent.
I personally been working on getting people involved in El Paso, the past couple of years, but now I will be doing a bit more and I will push for existing networks to grow and target people outside of El Paso.

Reactions: Rot
I'd like to see the UTEP Alumni more involved with the City and County governments. Between them there are probably 4 or 5 thousand employees that attended utep at least for a bit. The City does a good job of honoring UTEP during home games but I think they should and would do more if they were approached with ideas.

I'd like to see the UTEP Alumni more involved with the City and County governments. Between them there are probably 4 or 5 thousand employees that attended utep at least for a bit. The City does a good job of honoring UTEP during home games but I think they should and would do more if they were approached with ideas.
I like this. I will inform Alumni Association about this.

Reactions: jdubb66
I don’t totally agree with this. I’ve met up with UTEP alumni groups in DFW, Las Vegas, and Albuquerque, all of which have vibrant active groups and generally attend games together

Update:

Spoke with higher ups in the university. A lot of planning going on currently. UTEP is looking to hire some key people within the next couple of months. There has been a lack communication between departments on campus pre-COVID, but things are slowly changing.

Athletics will announce a pre game party area on the north side of Sun Bowl for home games soon and will tie alot of pre game stuff together.

UTEP alumni database is being sorted out within the university, this is one the main areas of failure from the university. They are figuring out where people are located better. So far they have "hot areas" of where alumni reside. Alumni Association is going to build networks in those "hot areas". So far, I know Phoenix is next, and LA and Vegas are on the map.

Alumni Association got a assessment from a 3rd party and will be using better techniques to get more support from UTEP and reach out to alumni more. Changes will be slowly happening over the next couple of years, unfortunately.

Any questions let me know.

Update:

Spoke with higher ups in the university. A lot of planning going on currently. UTEP is looking to hire some key people within the next couple of months. There has been a lack communication between departments on campus pre-COVID, but things are slowly changing.

Athletics will announce a pre game party area on the north side of Sun Bowl for home games soon and will tie alot of pre game stuff together.

UTEP alumni database is being sorted out within the university, this is one the main areas of failure from the university. They are figuring out where people are located better. So far they have "hot areas" of where alumni reside. Alumni Association is going to build networks in those "hot areas". So far, I know Phoenix is next, and LA and Vegas are on the map.

Alumni Association got a assessment from a 3rd party and will be using better techniques to get more support from UTEP and reach out to alumni more. Changes will be slowly happening over the next couple of years, unfortunately.

Any questions let me know.
Student tailgate is also moving Northside. That will be interesting.

According to Kappy, Senter and Wilson are in favor of a move to the MWC but that conference is full right now plus UTEP athletics aren't attractive at this point..

According to Kappy, Senter and Wilson are in favor of a move to the MWC but that conference is full right now plus UTEP athletics aren't attractive at this point..

In other news they would also be in favor to a move to the ACC, SEC, Big 12, Big 10, and PAC 10, or any other conference that provides more revenue, but they are also full and UTEP is not attractive at any point; and the sky is blue and water is wet.

"Embrace your history"-Mike Price

UTEP needs to reach out to Hotchkins et al. Invite the players, educate the younger (fans) on the legends.

Reactions: utep-piggy

UTEP needs to reach out to Hotchkins et al. Invite the players, educate the younger (fans) on the legends.
I did advocate that there should be alumni group dedicated to athletes, so they can get together and I think it would be a big positive to the athletic program and the university.

Reactions: utep-piggy and Rot
In other news they would also be in favor to a move to the ACC, SEC, Big 12, Big 10, and PAC 10, or any other conference that provides more revenue, but they are also full and UTEP is not attractive at any point; and the sky is blue and water is wet.
Actually it was posted here a short while back that our new president has a different view than her predecessor about UTEP's conference affiliation. It was rumored (according to Kappy) that Dr Natalicio nixed such an opportunity. That's why it is good news that our administration sees things differently. But you're right that water is wet, so you got that going for you.

The younger fans don’t care about Don Maynard and Reggie Barrett. Concentrate on Aaron Jones and the recent marginal NFL players.

Reactions: Dmanminer
The younger fans don’t care about Don Maynard and Reggie Barrett. Concentrate on Aaron Jones and the recent marginal NFL players.

There's a reason the NFL (and others) have a Hall of Fame. People are drawn to great historical figures. I say we celebrate all of our athletes who've had success at the highest levels regardless of how long ago it was.

Before I forget Alumni Association and DFW Network will have a tailgate before the UTEP vs UNT game in November.
Recently joined the UTEP DFW Alumni association and look forward to meeting other UTEP Alumni and fans in the area.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT