ADVERTISEMENT

Quick question...

jamasterj

MI Regular
Dec 3, 2001
Why doesn't the media cover the UTEP hockey team? Not even a mention of a score or hell, even that they exist. They've beaten the likes of TCU and just recently swept UT twice, here at home and over there. I know they're just a club team but still, damn...show a little love to a lonely bright spot in UTEPia.

They play at the same place where the Rhinos play by the coliseum. I believe they are 11-1, I plan on checking them out soon, definitely deserve our support.

They play at the same place where the Rhinos play by the coliseum. I believe they are 11-1, I plan on checking them out soon, definitely deserve our support.

That's awesome, to be honest I didn't know they existed, hopefully they can get more support and make it to a NCAA scholarship status. Do they play in a conference or is it just like an independent scheduling ? I know there also used to be men's soccer but it was also non scholarship.

The games are a lot of fun. Paydirt Pete is now at Friday games and hopefully cheer will go eventually. In general club teams don't draw big interest and hockey is very foreign to our area so you won't see a lot of mention from local media outlets

Last edited:
This must be a club sport. If not, I cannot fathom UTEP choosing hockey over baseball. And I don't even care for baseball. I care even less for hockey.

In fact, I thought you might be talking about field hockey - which is a woman's sport.

lieb

Reactions: UTEP05
This must be a club sport. If not, I cannot fathom UTEP choosing hockey over baseball. And I don't even care for baseball. I care even less for hockey.

In fact, I thought you might be talking about field hockey - which is a woman's sport.

lieb

It is a club sport.

It is a club sport.

Then I'm impressed. My youngest son is on the club ultimate frisbee team at the University of North Texas - and they had to come up with some of the money to pay for their uniforms. (UNT does play for their transportation to tournaments.) Hockey has way more gear obviously. If they had to pay for some of that, then that's real dedication.

lieb

The UTEP hockey team is being run by Tom Herman, Cory's brother who heads up the Rhinos Junior A team. Some of the guys on the team are former Rhinos, while others are kids they recruited to come to UTEP and play hockey. Since the Herman brothers are running the show as a club team, it has nothing to do with Bob Stull and the UTEP Athletic Department. So, the school's athletics department will not publicize the team at football or basketball games. In fact, I have interviewed Tom three different times since the season began to update fans and my listeners on the UTEP's play since the university does not help them out in any capacity.

The Herman brothers run a first class operation, everything they have done has been on their own and they have quietly built up a nice loyal following.

http://www.minershockey.com/

The UTEP hockey team is being run by Tom Herman, Cory's brother who heads up the Rhinos Junior A team. Some of the guys on the team are former Rhinos, while others are kids they recruited to come to UTEP and play hockey. Since the Herman brothers are running the show as a club team, it has nothing to do with Bob Stull and the UTEP Athletic Department.

http://www.minershockey.com/
That explains why they are successful and are 11-1. Cause it would be reversed if they were under Stull and the athletic department. I am sure Tom Herman sets his expectations bar high and it shows on the ice.

Here is the remaining home game schedule:
Dec. 2-3
Jan. 8-9
Jan. 14-15
Jan 21-22
Feb 3-4

Tickets are $5,$10, $15, and $20.

That explains why they are successful and are 11-1. Cause it would be reversed if they were under Stull and the athletic department. I am sure Tom Herman sets his expectations bar high and it shows on the ice.

Can we switch him to coach the football or basketball team ?

Reactions: UTEP05
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT