ADVERTISEMENT

Realistically How Long Will the Rebuild Take

JCorona

MI Miner Maniac
Jun 15, 2014
622879328.jpg.jpg

That's the question every Miner fan across the world wants an answer to. Some feel it's taking too long and UTEP should have blown out NAU and held their own vs UNLV. Others say it will take three to four years to put out the flames left by the previous administration. There is no psychic we can consult to give us a sneak peek into the future. Instead, we will compare UTEP to other similar historical terrible G5 programs and see how long they took. Or if they could even find success.

Using this list https://www.cheatsheet.com/sports/the-15-worst-college-football-teams-of-all-time.html/ I picked three teams that are comparable to UTEP. The only requirement was that their head coach is in year four or above in the rebuilding process.

UNLV
In the decade before Sanchez took over UNLV experienced only one winning season and had a combined record of 31-92. In his first year in charge, he took care of business vs the home FCS opponent beating them 80-8. The next week they traveled to rival Nevada (7-6) and beat them in front of an almost sold out game. Sitting at 2-3 with only losses to two P5 teams and what would become an eight-win Northern Illinois squad it seemed like the rebuild would be quick and painless. It wasn't to be as they finished the season on a 1-6 skid.

Year two saw improvements in the overall win total. The high point of the season was defeating eventual Mountain Division champion Wyoming in a thrilling 69-66 triple OT. The low points were losing in senior night to rival Nevada in a blow out fashion and once again a bad ending to the season at 1-4. Year three stated as a nightmare with a loss at home to FCS Howard. A 2-5 start with only wins vs lowly Idaho and San Jose St many in Las Vegas might have thought if Sanchez was the right man for the job. When all hope seemed lost, they traveled to West Division champion Fresno St and gave them their only conference loss of the season. They picked up a pair of victories to finish at 5-7. How painful the season-opening loss to their guarantee must have been since it prevented them from going bowling.

In year four UNLV seems on track to get their team turned around. With an overall of 13-25, it hasn't been an easy ride. There has been a lot of growing pains but also some joyful moments. It will be interesting to keep an eye on them and see if this is the year they reach a bowl.

NMSU
Ah, the Aggies where do I start? Let's keep it simple since most of us here are familiar with their history. The past ten years prior to Martin taking over they went 32-89 with only one winning season. A very similar record to that of UNLV. In four years they had won only ten games. In most universities that would be a good enough reason to hit the reset button and try again. They stuck with him and he produced the first bowl victory in 57 years. In 2018 they are off to a 0-3 start and a difficult independent schedule awaits them with not too many opportunities to reel in wins. Has the program being rebuilt or did they have a flash in the pan season?

Eastern Michigan
Rated the worst football program of all time. Unlike the other two, they hadn't experienced a winning season in the previous ten years and had amassed a 28-90 record. At first, it seemed like nothing had changed with the hire of Creighton as he led EMU to their third straight season with double-digit losses. Then it got worse as he only won one game his second season. We could only imagine the chaos going on in their message board as fans bickered with each other remembering how things were better when they were winning two games per year. Then the unspeakable happened in year three as he produced the first winning season in 21 years and took them to the Bahamas Bowl.

In year four after having to replace their offensive coordinator, they fell back to 5-7. Six of those losses were by five points or fewer. Had a couple of calls gone differently they would have had consecutive bowling seasons for the first time in their history. Now in year five, they are 2-0 with a win over a P5 team. It seems Creighton has done what seemed unimaginable and turned the worst team in the country around.

UTEP
All eyes on us now. Dimel takes over a program that has a record of 41-69 with one winning season the last 10 years. On paper, we have more wins and bowl appearances than the above examples. This rebuilding job will be as difficult as the three other programs. No overnight miracles should be expected or demanded from Dimel. When it looks like we have it figured it out don't get too comfortable or they will surprise us with a head-scratching loss or season.

This adventure has just begun there is a long journey ahead for the fans, coaches, and administration. The key will be to remain patient and have faith the right pieces are falling into place. We have endured a lot of bad sports moments the past twelve years. Unfortunately, there are still more dark moments to go through. We are assured that Senter will make the tough conversations if athletic standards aren't met. With the impending hire of the university president, we can expect that they will hold Senter accountable for his department.

Good Write up, but the UNLV story seemed to skip year 3, unless u meant 3 instead of 4. Speaking of that here's my Utep Prediction...

Dimel Year One- 1-11 I say they beat the Aggies in a " No one cares, but us" game

Dimel Year Two- 3-8 Improved with some close shoulda coulda woulda games, but still learning how to win.

Dimel Year Three - 6-6 Pulls out final victory to become bowl eligibile

Dimel Year Four- 9-3 and head to CUSA Championship for first time

Be Patient, this will be a long 4 years, but worth the Pay Off!

Good Write up, but the UNLV story seemed to skip year 3, unless u meant 3 instead of 4. Speaking of that here's my Utep Prediction...

Dimel Year One- 1-11 I say they beat the Aggies in a " No one cares, but us" game

Dimel Year Two- 3-8 Improved with some close shoulda coulda woulda games, but still learning how to win.

Dimel Year Three - 6-6 Pulls out final victory to become bowl eligibile

Dimel Year Four- 9-3 and head to CUSA Championship for first time

Be Patient, this will be a long 4 years, but worth the Pay Off!

So if Dimel doesn't make a bowl game in year 3 and win the CUSA Championship in year 4 he should be fired?

As long as there is improvement from year to year, 4 years won’t seem that long. I may not be a “it’s the journey NOT to he destination” kind of guy, but I am a “it’s the journey AND the destination” kind of guy. Subtle yet clear difference. As long as the team gets better and improves in the W-L column, I’m on board. Like basketball, this season Dimel gets a pass from me. Has to be distinct improvement next year, though.

I thought Dimal had a chance this year if everything fell into place. The opposite has happened as we lost the two best offensive linemen in Long and Gatewood. The team did improve on the offensive side of the ball from the NAU game to the UNLV game, unfortunately the defense has not shown the same progress and has been very disappointing so far. I think it will take three years to rebuild. The problem will always be depth and injuries will destroy any momentum that we may have.

Kugler is one of our family members, but he was like that dad who decided to do the home remodeling himself and f'ed up the plumbing and wiring instead of calling contractors. Other than the Jones brothers and big Will Hernandez, he left a David Lee type hot mess but Dimel has not made one bad remark about Kugler (unlike Kugler who made slight of hand off color remarks about Price).

Dimel sugar coated the process when he got here and he did so for good reasons. Bad part about this is after week two, the hard core fans are trying to get out of from under the rubble of bricks that hit us after getting jacked up after Locksley commit and stories that Metz was showing command of the offense blah, blah blah. Metz is done. He looks lost in this offense because his skill set is not made for this offense.

Dimel needs, no wants, neeeeeeeeddddsss some monster D line. Our D line is the worst in FBS and has been for now year three. O line was a mystic Molly Hatchet album cover that Kug concocted but was never reality and now it shows. He hid behind Will's shadow.

Three years, best case scenario.

Last edited:
Kugler is one of our family members, but he was like that dad who decided to do the home remodeling himself and f'ed up the plumbing and wiring instead of calling contractors. Other than the Jones brothers and big Will Hernandez, he left a David Lee type hot mess but Dimel has not made one bad remark about Kugler (unlike Kugler who made slight of hand off color remarks about Price).

Dimel sugar coated the process when he got here and he did so for good reasons. Bad part about this is after week two, the hard core fans are trying to get out of from under the rubble of bricks that hit us after getting jacked up after Locksley commit and stories that Metz was showing command of the offense blah, blah blah. Metz is done. He looks lost in this offense because his skill set is not made for this offense.

Dimel needs, no wants, neeeeeeeeddddsss some monster D line. Our D line is the worst in FBS and has been for now year three. O line was a mystic Molly Hatchet album cover that Kug concocted but was never reality and now it shows. He hid behind Will's shadow.

Three years, best case scenario.
They are the Biggest at Utep in Years, but slow and lack technique

Kugler basically basically destroyed the program in a year and a half. After year three they were a missed field goal from two straight bowl games. After the season he fires Stoker, and Higgins. Pease as impossible as it seems was actually a downgrade from Higgins. Mason did an admirable job last year however his defense was designed to compliment an sir raid offense. It was a bad match for a pro style offense. His biggest mistake was hiring a washed up alcoholic from the CFL to be his recruiting coordinator. Then his own personal life went off the rails and we all know the rest of the story.

To me like Kugler the biggest question is Dimels coordinators. If things are slow to improve he should replace them sooner rather than later. I'm wait and see on Cox. Canales scares me. Three years in cusa is plenty of time to field a competitive team and win at least 6 games.

They are the Biggest at Utep in Years, but slow and lack technique
Maybe Misa and Richardson will be a good combo in the next few years. A run stopper and rushing DL. What we really need is one DE that can get to the QB and free up everybody else. Keith Sullivan was lined up to be that guy. Maybe Mascorro can do it but Dimel and staff really need to recruit this position now. Tupou and Van Hook should be a decent combo at LB, but we should always be looking to upgrade. We need pressure from our front 6-7.

Kugler basically basically destroyed the program in a year and a half. After year three they were a missed field goal from two straight bowl games. After the season he fires Stoker, and Higgins. Pease as impossible as it seems was actually a downgrade from Higgins. Mason did an admirable job last year however his defense was designed to compliment an sir raid offense. It was a bad match for a pro style offense. His biggest mistake was hiring a washed up alcoholic from the CFL to be his recruiting coordinator. Then his own personal life went off the rails and we all know the rest of the story.

To me like Kugler the biggest question is Dimels coordinators. If things are slow to improve he should replace them sooner rather than later. I'm wait and see on Cox. Canales scares me. Three years in cusa is plenty of time to field a competitive team and win at least 6 games.
Who was that recruiting coordinator? Don Yanowsky?

It's hard to tell because we really aren't recruiting the talent we need
to turn the corner. As long as we keep losing most of the recruits are
going to go elsewhere. I am going to say a minimum 4 years.

Go Miners...

It's hard to tell because we really aren't recruiting the talent we need
to turn the corner. As long as we keep losing most of the recruits are
going to go elsewhere. I am going to say a minimum 4 years.

Go Miners...
We really won't know til after Dimels 1st full recruiting class

If Dimel recruits heavily on the JUCO route to rebuild, then he better be showing significant improvements in his 3rd season. If not , he needs to go.

If he goes down the high school route to reuild, then the 3-4 years mentioned above is fair.

But if we are winning 1-2 games his 2nd season, and another 1-3 games his 3rd season, he needs to go and we need to move on.

Reactions: El Paso Is Great
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT