ADVERTISEMENT

Recruit Signing day! Thoughts, info., news......

utep2step

MI Miner Maniac
Jul 10, 2001
Well, Dimel and Senter are promising a "new era" in UTEP football after a successful 2021 and very hard fought NM Bowl game against a really good MW Fresno State team (but still no bowl win!). The first four years were extremely painful, and avoidable according to many core UTEP fans; however, to counter the transfer portal bleeding, Coach Dimel did what he does best, recruit JUCO's. UTEP has done this before when Stull rebuilt a late 80's team with JUCO players led with his top prize recruit, Saddleback College QB Pat Hegarty 1987-88 (UTEP qb replaces a former UTEP legend). Can he recapture last year? Catch lightning in a bottle like Stull and Price did their first two years?

Last edited:
All I ask for is at least one recruit with 5 offers from D1 schools.

Seems like more recruiting activity that previous years. Recruits seem stronger and more ready for D-1 football. May not need as much development as some previous recruits. That is just a general observation of the athlete's Dimel is putting on the field. They don't look as frail as athlete's of the past. But...my wife always tells me size doesn't really matter.

Why did coaching staff wait weekend of before signing day to have visits?? Is that normal? Did they have visits during the season?

Why did coaching staff wait weekend of before signing day to have visits?? Is that normal? Did they have visits during the season?

What Kickball said and also 1) Dimel is huge on using the power of Twitter to promote his brand 2) We, so other programs don't know, "Who? What? How? When (in the hell did he commit)?". Love or hate him Dimel has connections and got Cowing from a UT lead at the last minute for example.

A time line pattern on (JUCO) commitments for Dimel is developing and in typical fashion, no one is going to hear diddly from Dimel camp unless there is pen on paper or the clock is about to run out. The flurry we saw over the weekend were the latter as kickball stated.

The only losses to our starting defense were the graduating seniors. With the exception of Ortega, this line stays intact. They are big, fast and strong AND they will be upper classmen. My hopes are that they will set the tone for the new players and also establish high expectations for a defense that was ranked 12th, nationally. I'm very excited for the next season.

""We've put a good amount of emphasis on junior college recruiting because of what's happening in the college football spectrum," Dimel said. "The junior college market has been a really, really strong niche for UTEP football. And 10 of the 14 (in the two combined signing groups) have three or four more years of eligibility.......Five are already on campus, as is McNamara, giving Dimel a head start in evaluation. The receivers Kelly Akharaiyi from Tyler Junior College and Marcus Bellon, from Santa Barbara Community Colleg, are early headliners of winter drills."-Dana Dimel

https://www.elpasotimes.com/story/s...s-spring-signing-class-15-players/6637730001/

"Another early arrival who has impressed Dimel is sophomore offensive lineman Aluma Nkele from Long Beach City College. He checked in at 6-foot-8, 394 pounds and Dimel said he thinks when he loses 15 pounds he could immediately compete for a starting position on a line that returns four starters.

"He moves as well as anybody that size I've ever been around," Dimel said. "I saw (UTEP all-conference end) Praise (Amaewhule) looking at him the other day, he said, 'Yeah, I'm trying to figure out, how am I going to get around this guy.'"

"Another early arrival who has impressed Dimel is sophomore offensive lineman Aluma Nkele from Long Beach City College. He checked in at 6-foot-8, 394 pounds and Dimel said he thinks when he loses 15 pounds he could immediately compete for a starting position on a line that returns four starters.

"He moves as well as anybody that size I've ever been around," Dimel said. "I saw (UTEP all-conference end) Praise (Amaewhule) looking at him the other day, he said, 'Yeah, I'm trying to figure out, how am I going to get around this guy.'"
Easy. Carb cycle for 2 weeks and get him out there!

Reactions: utep2step
Bellon had 6 TDs on special teams last season. 4 punt returns and 2 kickoff returns to the house.

Logologo is a big man on the D-line.

Hoping Seib can be that pass catching TE we need (if Dimel will utilize him).

"DEFENSIVE MVP

Camino League championship, and a No. 5 ranking in the state for medium schools by Cal-Hi Sports.

At 6-foot-3, 285 pounds and good instincts, Va’a was a force on the line.

He led the Cardinals in tackles with 56. He had 38 solo tackles, 16 tackles for loss, 10 sacks and 17 hurries.

Va’a also started on the offensive line.

“He was the dominant player in the Camino League, bringing physicality to both sides of the ball,” said Crawford. “As a D-lineman, he was unstoppable despite being the focal point of most teams’ offensive blocking schemes.

“What a pleasure to see his development over four years in our program. Logo will be a force at the next level too.”" https://www.noozhawk.com/article/bi...ogologo_vaa_named_mvps_of_noozhawks_all_south

Reactions: axingfools1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT