ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Update: List as of Jan. 29

Chris Avila

Starter
May 22, 2012
Hey everyone,

NSD is next week and as we get ramped up for the big day, we wanted to share our list of players as of last night. Please note some of the names are of JUCOs and won't show up on the big Rivals recruting list just like greyshirts. We are putting together a breakdown of the athletes to run this week so you'll have all the info on the class before NSD.

The list is:

Verbal commits:
ATH Aaron JonesDB Jameel Erwing (JUCO)DB Nick Gathrite (JUCO enrolled)DB Jaylon ScottDB Quentin TezenoDB Devin CockrellDE Nick UsherDT Dewan EdmonsonOL Derek ElmendorffOL Charles SandersQB Mack LeftwichQB Ryan MetzWR Tyler BastonWR Alvin JonesHB/LB Darrin LaufasaHB/LB Justin Fa'aola 6'1 240 pounds (JUCO Mt. Sac.)
Walk on:
DE Alex Jones

Before Spencer went down last year, UTEP started 4 senior DBs, so the recruiting emphasis in that area this year is understandable, particularly with the intent to implement a 4-2-5. However, UTEP returns 5 senior D Linemen this year (4 will be RS/5th year seniors), but only 1 D Line commit this far. Of course, it's also FAR easier to recruit quality DBs than quality linemen on either side of the ball. Interesting...

I noticed that the other day and do think it's an interesting note. On the D line Kugler will have Reed, Bagley and Miller back as the "leaders" of the pack and I think the 5 seniors will be good to help guide the new defensive scheme. I'm curious to see what happens this spring with some of the younger guys and who will step up into the rotation. If you're not landing a lot of linemen, you have to think there has been some development with some of the existing guys.

Originally posted by Chris Avila:
I noticed that the other day and do think it's an interesting note. On the D line Kugler will have Reed, Bagley and Miller back as the "leaders" of the pack and I think the 5 seniors will be good to help guide the new defensive scheme. I'm curious to see what happens this spring with some of the younger guys and who will step up into the rotation. If you're not landing a lot of linemen, you have to think there has been some development with some of the existing guys.
Can we talk offline?

Quick update on the list: apparently Justin Fa'aola is not being recruited by UTEP and I had some mis-information. I'm working on verifying some other kids I got wind of but haven't had a chance to talk with them yet to verify.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT