ADVERTISEMENT

Remember next year and year after is what we're all waiting for

nattybry

MI Miner Maniac
Jul 7, 2003
I know we want Utep Basketball to win Now, but it was never going to happen this year. Just too young and too many new pieces to put together so quickly. Next year if everyone stays will be exciting. NIT or chance at NCAA expectations and following year NCAA or bust!
Next year's starters
G- Gilyard
G- Lathon
G/F- Tarke
F- Williams
C-Odigie

We can see the potential, but boy will this year be frustrating. So close to actually being a good team.

The key to the rest of the season and the future is Lathon. He has the highest ceiling of any freshman to play at UTEP in 30 years. He's the best player on this years squad. He will be the best player on next years squad. If he was healthy I think we would have won both games against UTSA. The kid is a difference maker and can carry a team by himself. At this point I just hope we can keep a school from a power poaching him. A healthy Lathon is the key to this and next years team.

Reactions: EPTUTEP
The key to the rest of the season and the future is Lathon. He has the highest ceiling of any freshman to play at UTEP in 30 years. He's the best player on this years squad. He will be the best player on next years squad. If he was healthy I think we would have won both games against UTSA. The kid is a difference maker and can carry a team by himself. At this point I just hope we can keep a school from a power poaching him. A healthy Lathon is the key to this and next years team.
tenor.gif

Reactions: Lil_Train

I like Lathon, but it's hard to deny Odigie as the best freshman we have, and have seen for some time at UTEP. As a big, his numbers are better as a freshman than just about any senior I can remember

I know we want Utep Basketball to win Now, but it was never going to happen this year. Just too young and too many new pieces to put together so quickly. Next year if everyone stays will be exciting. NIT or chance at NCAA expectations and following year NCAA or bust!
Next year's starters
G- Gilyard
G- Lathon
G/F- Tarke
F- Williams
C-Odigie

Efe is more of a PF than a true C.

Disclosure: I have certain people on "ignore" so if they responded, they are probably full of it.

Reactions: HeWore62
All three (Hawkins, Lathon and Odige) are really good but we must keep in mind how players develop, some look so full of potential as freshman but fail to develop. (seen a lot of these the last few years). Some players no matter what the reason don't progress, quality coaching, good attitude and athletic skills all play a roll as well as luck. But I do agree these new players appear to be special and look to be the best class since Thomas, Rivera and Williams in the Gillispe years or the 2nd Barbie class. Add a good swingman and a power forward to this mix and we could be special

All three (Hawkins, Lathon and Odige) are really good but we must keep in mind how players develop, some look so full of potential as freshman but fail to develop. (seen a lot of these the last few years). Some players no matter what the reason don't progress, quality coaching, good attitude and athletic skills all play a roll as well as luck. But I do agree these new players appear to be special and look to be the best class since Thomas, Rivera and Williams in the Gillispe years or the 2nd Barbie class. Add a good swingman and a power forward to this mix and we could be special

Busts happen at top programs, too — need #s.

agree....I think Coach is thinking program and not just Team. He needs players on the bench developing but also pushing the starters in practice everyday. With what we have on the court and what we look to have in reserve on the bench and with out transfers etc we could be a really good team next season. Floyd taught us a lesson what is on paper and what is on the court can be very different.

i expect at least 20 wins next year. there is no excuse why terry shoudnt win at least 20 with the number of players and talent coming in. If Utep ends up about .500 next year it will be a dissapointment

i expect at least 20 wins next year. there is no excuse why terry shoudnt win at least 20 with the number of players and talent coming in. If Utep ends up about .500 next year it will be a dissapointment
Agreed! I don't think anyone expects less than 20+ wins, unless these players waiting don't end up playing.

Our schedule may be pretty tough next year. I really don't care if we get 20+ wins next season. I just want a CUSA tourney title and a post season run. That's the only thing that can snowball recruiting and turn our program around.

Our schedule may be pretty tough next year. I really don't care if we get 20+ wins next season. I just want a CUSA tourney title and a post season run. That's the only thing that can snowball recruiting and turn our program around.

Not falling for the old Floyd “20 win” spin, eh?

Reactions: axingfools1
Not falling for the old Floyd “20 win” spin, eh?
Hopefully CUSA has 2 in the tourney this year, but given our conferences recent history that likely won't happen. Don't get me wrong, winning would be great. It would bring more fans and put the conference on notice, but it doesn't guarantee an NCAA bid.

There was a time when a 20 plus win season got a team a serious look by the tournament committee. Now it takes a 25 plus win season to get a team looked at at all.

Reactions: UTEPfan1966
Hopefully CUSA has 2 in the tourney this year, but given our conferences recent history that likely won't happen. Don't get me wrong, winning would be great. It would bring more fans and put the conference on notice, but it doesn't guarantee an NCAA bid.
It won't this year, RPI's are down this year

The one thing that nobody mentioned was the ability of the freshmen to play defense. Lathon often times is guarding the other teams best player. He has the foot speed and length to guard the 1,2 or 3 and he rebounds well. He reminds me Julyan Stone, only with the ability to score and shot the ball from outside.

If you're in the big east, acc, sec, pac12 or big 10-12, 20 wins will likely get you a 10 seed in the tourney. All others win you conference tourney or pray.

I’m just excited that Coach Terry knows our history/reputation, really wants to be here, and will get us back to the tourney, be patient and fully support!

Reactions: mikesarabia
Really wants to be here?? We will see when bigger schools come knocking how much he really wants to be here.....

Really wants to be here?? We will see when bigger schools come knocking how much he really wants to be here.....

Yeah, I’m not sure how bad Terry wants to be here. Maybe he does and maybe he doesn’t. Either way, the only way he gets poached is if he’s doing well here. Like conference championship “well”. Yes, please!

Reactions: develman
If Terry
I know those days are probably gone but I would love to see terry stay here and build a Gonzaga Ike caliber program——
If Terry can get a huge recruit to come here that will say a lot. He has missed so far in this cycle, but I would look out for a big name transfer or recruit to come in for 20'-21'. If he can do that and win he will be gone IMO. The important thing to me is what Senter would do to keep things rolling after that (instead of letting us regress like Stull and Floyd did).

Last edited:
Reactions: mikesarabia
I think Terry would leave for Texas or A & M. Maybe even Tech. But if he leaves we are doing well. I could see coach Smith getting the gig when Terry leaves. At least things wouldn't change to drastically for the kids.

Terry did bring in a "big time" recruits in, E.O., Lathon and Hawk. Unless you are expecting a Zion Williamson, which is not going to happen. The former have become a nucleus along with Gilyard. That is not rare but not everyday in mid major college programs (to have 3 true freshman).

Terry did bring in a "big time" recruits in, E.O., Lathon and Hawk. Unless you are expecting a Zion Williamson, which is not going to happen. The former have become a nucleus along with Gilyard. That is not rare but not everyday in mid major college programs (to have 3 true freshman).
I think he meant the last recruiting cycle.

Well I have heard a lot of people say terry would only leave us for a set up in Texas which is good right now considering all the major Texas teams are doing pretty well meaning won’t be an opening.... I really like terry and what he has done here in his short time

I’m about to turn into HoneyBoo but Terry hasn’t done anything yet. Our best win is against RICE. I don’t think it should have counted. The clock didn’t start as soon as Lathon touched the ball.

I’m about to turn into HoneyBoo but Terry hasn’t done anything yet. Our best win is against RICE. I don’t think it should have counted. The clock didn’t start as soon as Lathon touched the ball.

You may be right, however we have had our fair share of those kinds of calls go against. It’s about time we had one go our way, imo.

In regards to Terry, I’m with you. I like the recruiting he’s done but the jury is still out on whether he can put it all together.

You may be right, however we have had our fair share of those kinds of calls go against. It’s about time we had one go our way, imo.

In regards to Terry, I’m with you. I like the recruiting he’s done but the jury is still out on whether he can put it all together.
I’ll take the win I don’t care what ODU and RICE fans say. We are getting a small reputation of game ending clock malfunctions.

As far as Terry you opened my eyes in San Antonio. Aside from winning the auto bid he was an average coach in the MW. In seven years his team's averaged a 5th place finish and only four games above .500 in conference play.

I like the hire and I think he will turn us around but I don’t know about us being the next Gonzaga and him taking off to Austin. He still has a lot to prove.

I’ll take the win I don’t care what ODU and RICE fans say. We are getting a small reputation of game ending clock malfunctions.

As far as Terry you opened my eyes in San Antonio. Aside from winning the auto bid he was an average coach in the MW. In seven years his team's averaged a 5th place finish and only four games above .500 in conference play.

I like the hire and I think he will turn us around but I don’t know about us being the next Gonzaga and him taking off to Austin. He still has a lot to prove.

I like the hire too. I hope he can turn it around. I’m just more comfortable taking the wait and see approach with him, though. Like you said, he still has a lot to prove.

Reactions: miner1liner
I agree with the possibility of a millisecond delay on the clock. I thought at the time; uh oh! But today I'm thinking WTH, like fanatic said, it's about time we caught a break for a
change
....and just remember what a good friend we have in Rice University. They were our saviors in football and now in basketball.

Definitely appears CRT is starting to rely less and less upon the senior “leadership” of PT. Unless in foul trouble, he was playing about 35 minutes per game. Since Norfolk State, his minutes have been in the mid 20s and even down into the teens. Magee’s minutes seem to be dwindling too, since Campbell’s arrival. He rarely sees 20 minutes of court time anymore. As of this point, and despite needing bodies, Terry probably should have just redshirted Eze. He played 2 whole minutes last night. The Miner regulars are going to be tired in March.

Reactions: miner1liner
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT