ADVERTISEMENT

Remember the "who should replace UAB" thread?

utep2step

MI Miner Maniac
Jul 10, 2001
I mentioned North Dakota State Bison as an unrealitic possibility.

The won the FCS.

Did I mention they went to the NCAA last year?

They have won the fcs the last four years. In the last five years they are 5-0 against fbs schools. College Gameday has done a show fron ndsu the past two seasons. They consider Minnesota their rival, however the golphers will no longer play them because the Bison always beat Minnesota. I think they enjoy being the big fish is a small pond.

What holds them back is the fargo dome which is where they play it only holds 19 thousand and isnt expandable.However, their biggest problem is dropping price of oil. No state has benefited more from the oil boom than North Dakota. The oil bust will cripple north dakotas economy which is one of the least diversified in the country. They are expected to cut public expenditures by 50 percent this year. Bottom line is right now there is no money to support a move up for NDSU.

Originally posted by Minerforlife:
What holds them back is the fargo dome which is where they play it only holds 19 thousand and isnt expandable.
Idaho's FBS and they play in the Kibbie Dome which only holds 16 thousand.

Hope it's Texas State. Would be a great population base of viewers and fans between San Antonio and Austin. A natural, a no brainer, and yet, I'm sure the decision makers will screw the pooch on this one.

Good choice. Good program, good coach and in a population area that could attract a lot of fans in the future. Natural rivalry with UT San Antonio and UTEP.

Article pretty much sums up NDSU. "Don't play them". They whomped on Kansas State almost two years ago and popped Iowa State in the bank and in the mouth, twice.

I say, bring them in. Toughen up the league. Kugler wants to bring slobber knocker-smash mouth-run it up their arses football. This is the team to learn from and do it against, if you can.
This post was edited on 1/11 6:43 PM by utep2step

"Don't play them"

How about with uab? Starting to hear they might be back in the not too distant future...possibly

Originally posted by Tribalwarriorx:
Not bad, but why not think bigger than Texas State? I like the NDSU option.
Seriously? Not sure if some of you guys are actually serious...

Here's my case for Texas State, otherwise known as "The University of Float Down the River and Party for As Long as My Parent's Money Holds Out" at San Marcos.

Texas State student population = 36,000
NDSU student population = 14,747 (May 2014)

Fargo, ND to El Paso, Texas via car = 1,528 miles
San Marcos, Texas to El Paso, Texas = 586 miles

Fargodome seats 18,700 (non-expandable)
Texas State Bobcat Stadium seats 30,000 (expandable) - 33k all-time record attendance

San Marcos accessible via air through San Antonio/Austin. Fargo? Dog sled via Winnepeg. Remember, transportation costs for ALL athletic teams are a major factor in revenue/expense calculations.

NDSU's overall upside versus Texas State is not even close (overall athletics, money, recruiting grounds, etc.). Plus, think river rafting, food, live country music, and river rafting!
tongue.r191677.gif

P.S. Seriously. while it may sound like I represent the San Marcos BBB and Texas State would be a great C-USA add, I actually think Louisiana Lafayette would be the best addition. JMHO...

LaserCoog, I must admit that I am not familiar with Texas State as I follow CUSA and MWC more than the other small conferences. Can you give me a breakdown on how they have done in football and basketball the last few years?

Texas State has horrible fan support. Adding them is like adding another UNT. I dont want another Texas school. Its bad enough we are in a conference with UNT and UTSA, lets not water this down anymore if possible.

This post was edited on 1/12 7:08 PM by Minerforlife

And why would we want to elevate another smaller school in our recruiting area, we would then be competing against similar players and they would just rather stay closer to home....

I'm with you on this one. I didn't have much problem with UTSA or UNT based on their location but Texas State? They would bring absolutely zero.

Unfortunately Laser, I was thinking of a school that can help raise CUSAs profile. I'm not that familiar with Texas St. But ESPN has been to ND twice that I can think of. Lol. While ESPN isn't the bellwether, any school that can help the conference I'm for it.

Unfortunately Laser, I was thinking of a school that can help raise CUSAs profile. I'm not that familiar with Texas St. But ESPN has been to ND twice that I can think of. Lol. While ESPN isn't the bellwether, any school that can help the conference I'm for it.
I would take North Dakota St. over Texas State any day.

I'm with you on that. There are over a dozen teams I'd take before I'd take Texas State. That's not a slight against them, but I'm about raising the profile of CUSA for better bowl offers, better tv broadcast packages, etc. Texas St does nothing to raise the profile.

I'm with you on that. There are over a dozen teams I'd take before I'd take Texas State. That's not a slight against them, but I'm about raising the profile of CUSA for better bowl offers, better tv broadcast packages, etc. Texas St does nothing to raise the profile.
You guys are certainly entitled to your opinion(s). Mine is that adding NDSU to C-USA makes no sense on any level - geographically, financially, politically, upside potential, etc. More to the point, perhaps if you re-read my earlier post, you'll notice that Texas State would NOT be my first choice to replace UAB.

laser, you talking about this post:

Seriously? Not sure if some of you guys are actually serious...

Here's
my case for Texas State, otherwise known as "The University of Float
Down the River and Party for As Long as My Parent's Money Holds Out" at
San Marcos.

Texas State student population = 36,000
NDSU student population = 14,747 (May 2014)

Fargo, ND to El Paso, Texas via car = 1,528 miles
San Marcos, Texas to El Paso, Texas = 586 miles

Fargodome seats 18,700 (non-expandable)
Texas State Bobcat Stadium seats 30,000 (expandable) - 33k all-time record attendance

San
Marcos accessible via air through San Antonio/Austin. Fargo? Dog sled
via Winnepeg. Remember, transportation costs for ALL athletic teams are a
major factor in revenue/expense calculations.

NDSU's overall
upside versus Texas State is not even close (overall athletics, money,
recruiting grounds, etc.). Plus, think river rafting, food, live country
music, and river rafting!
tongue.r191677.gif

P.S.
Seriously. while it may sound like I represent the San Marcos BBB and
Texas State would be a great C-USA add, I actually think Louisiana
Lafayette would be the best addition. JMHO...

-----

You did use the phrase "... Texas State would be a great C-USA add..." That's the point that generated the comments.

ULL would be even better because they're closer but do they raise CUSA's profile?

Tribalwarriorx, you're obviously the argumentative type. Perhaps something about discussing opinions that apparently gets you going. Or people actually supporting their opinions with factual data. Either way, if you're going to be pulling quotes, how about doing it in a manner that doesn't distort or diminish other posters' opinions. Thanks...

"Seriously. while it may sound like I represent the San Marcos BBB and Texas State would be a great C-USA add, I actually think Louisiana Lafayette would be the best addition. JMHO..."

"More to the point, perhaps if you re-read my earlier post, you'll notice that Texas State would NOT be my first choice to
replace UAB.
"

This post was edited on 1/26 2:52 PM by LaserCoog

It is too bad that UAB gave up football and not basketball, otherwise I would say someone like Incarnate Word...........That way at least the Miners may get another CUSA win. Why add another tough team that they can't handle?
Of course I am being sarcastic, but it is really starting to ring true. The funny thing is that everyone wants to move to the MWC or the Big 12. We can't even finish at the top of CUSA, how would we ever compete in that conference. (Speaking of basketball)

Laser, just one last thought here and we can move on. First, I'm not the "argumentative type" so let's dismiss that right away. Second, when you start your thread off the way you did, perhaps it is YOU who should respect the difference of opinions before you openly chastise someone else's thoughts. I've seen your posts and maybe unintentionally or not, you have a habit of doing that before you launch into your counterpoint. Third, although I'm not going to go back and forth on a thread, I'm certainly not going to be poked in the ribs and not respond. That, kind sir, isn't going to happen. However, if YOU think that way about my posts, the beauty of living in this great country is you can skip over the REPLY button and keep it moving down the road.

I don't do the "who has bigger marbles" thing. While I disagree with the Texas St suggestion (which I did very respectfully), I also countered why. You just threw up some stats on the difference between NDSU and Texas St, but then threw a curve with ULL. Maybe next time instead of lampooning the original poster, you can spend more time using the ULL stats you should have used to support why ULL would be a better option.

By the way, using "JMHO" in the end doesn't excuse the way you began. So let's move on.

Rocketsr, I agree with the MWC. Had UTEP been able to hold their own against Utah St, that would have been an excellent argument for entry into the MWC via switching with Hawaii. I'm not saying the Miners needed to win, but they needed a more competitive showing and the argument would have made itself.

UTEP has some more growing to do.

Rocketsr, I agree with the MWC. Had UTEP been able to hold their own against Utah St, that would have been an excellent argument for entry into the MWC via switching with Hawaii. I'm not saying the Miners needed to win, but they needed a more competitive showing and the argument would have made itself.

UTEP has some more growing to do.
The game was close for most of the game. I'll go so far as to say that the defense was excellent and kept the Miners in the game. The offense needs work.

I didn't leave the game feeling dejected, with a bad taste in my mouth, as I did after the previous bowl game (the BYU debacle).

I am not so worried about the football team, as I think they would compete in the MWC as they are showing great signs of improvement.
It is the basketball team that I am worried about. I don't think we would come out of there with a winning record.

Oh no, not even. It was close. Had the offense been able to generate some points the outcome could've been different. I think the offense's lack of output didn't fare well on national tv.

The New Mexico Bowl wasn't close at all. Sean did a good job getting UTEP to a bowl game in his second season, but there still needs to be a lot of improvement. That game showed UTEP can't compete with a lower level Mountain West team.

Originally posted by El Paso Chihuahuas:
The New Mexico Bowl wasn't close at all. Sean did a good job getting UTEP to a bowl game in his second season, but there still needs to be a lot of improvement. That game showed UTEP can't compete with a lower level Mountain West team.
Lower level mwc school? Since joining the league they have had winning seasons every year. They've been to a bowl game four straight years. Since entering the MWC their record is second to only Boise State.

As far as the game goes is was a one possesion game with 2 minutes left in the fourth quarter. The game was very close. Of the five bowl teams in cusa we played the best opponent.

Originally posted by Minerforlife:

Originally posted by El Paso Chihuahuas:
Lower level mwc school? Since joining the league they have had winning seasons every year. They've been to a bowl game four straight years. Since entering the MWC their record is second to only Boise State.

As far as the game goes is was a one possesion game with 2 minutes left in the fourth quarter. The game was very close. Of the five bowl teams in cusa we played the best opponent.
Sorry about that. Thanks for the correction. Should have said "upper level".

Utah State had the ball with a little over 3 minutes left winning 14-6.

Originally posted by MinerInWisconsin:
What? Not close at all? Are you crazy?

Late in the 4th qtr the score was 14-6. That's one score.
That was with 3:07 to go. UTEP then needed to get an onside kick and make a touchdown with a two point conversion.

Close would have been UTEP with the ball down 7.

No, that would have been a nail bighter. The game was close. Not last play close but tightly played throughout the game. A fan with no rooting interest in either team would call that a close game. Not a lopsided game and not a nail bighter but certainly a close game. Why you, supposedly a Miner fan, would try to argue about this is revealing.

Originally posted by MinerInWisconsin:
No, that would have been a nail bighter. The game was close. Not last play close but tightly played throughout the game. A fan with no rooting interest in either team would call that a close game. Not a lopsided game and not a nail bighter but certainly a close game. Why you, supposedly a Miner fan, would try to argue about this is revealing.
I am not the only person that said the game wasn't close. I was at the game. Trust me- nobody around me thought the game was close.

ADVERTISEMENT