ADVERTISEMENT

Rice

Rice has multiple guys who can really shoot from three point range. Against UTSA, along with good outside shooting, they were also able to drive and score. In short, our perimeter defense will need to continue to be really good. Also, their big man Fiedler is greatly improved, and provides an interior threat that Rice didn't have last year. It is impressive that Rice has been able to piece together a solid team despite losing several transfers from last year's team.

Defensively, just like UTSA, they are vulnerable, and we will need to take advantage by getting good shots at the rim. Speaking of UTSA, they look to be similar to previous years. Both Wallace and Jackson are still there, along with Germany, who is improved. Defensively, they are still awful. I'm surprised Henson was unable to add more talent around Jackson and Wallace. It feels like both have been at UTSA forever.

It seems to me that the Miners do well with 3 pt shooting teams, and not so well with the teams that can bang it inside. You can take the Arizona State game as an example.

If Rice shoots a ton of 3's, we should fair well. Of course, don't hold me to that as I cannot predict what Terry will do, but if things hold true, I hope this is the case.

If Rice is truly vulnerable inside then Williams needs to show up big next week. He needs to gain his confidence back after this past weekend

Reactions: Cube Jack
It seems to me that the Miners do well with 3 pt shooting teams, and not so well with the teams that can bang it inside. You can take the Arizona State game as an example.

If Rice shoots a ton of 3's, we should fair well. Of course, don't hold me to that as I cannot predict what Terry will do, but if things hold true, I hope this is the case.

Terry doesn’t know what he is going to do because he doesn’t know what he’s doing. Same goes for Senter and Dimel. What a sorry cast of mediocrity and incompetence. They all need to be fired beginning with the root problem who is Senter.

Last edited:
Terry doesn’t know what he is going to do because he doesn’t know what he’s doing. Same goes for Senter and Dimel. What a sorry cast of mediocrity and incompetence. They all need to be fired beginning with the root problem who is Senter.
Give it a rest dude (or duttete). You made your point with dozens of worthless posts: you hate all things UTEP. Please go away.

I honestly don't know what to expect.....on paper we have a large talent advantage, but we seem to play down to everyone. As for UTSA still a two trick pony, keep one of their guys from going off and you win the game. They have to get 45-50 its from their two players to be competitive.

Give it a rest dude (or duttete). You made your point with dozens of worthless posts: you hate all things UTEP. Please go away.
He isn't the only one saying it. The majority of the board is. You are actually the minority. Enough of the Rah Rah because it isn't helping. Just because he criticizes the poor coaching by Terry and Dimel, and horrible decisions by Senter does not mean he hates UTEP.

It is actually the opposite, and that he and most on this board are tired of the same crap every year and deserve better. Being a cheerleader and standing by is surely not going to help the problem. We have learned that long ago, and that it actually sets the program back even further.

Can he say it less candidly; sure. And yet is what he saying far from the truth? No.

This is the same thing with the Cowboys. Is it fair to the fans to have to put up with the same crap every single year. This has gone on long enough with our teams and a change has to be made. Don't ask me what exactly the program can do to change within the parameters of our budget, but something has to be done.

It is very difficult to disagree with the criticism of Terry that is being mentioned by posters on this site. Terry should be criticized the most because he is the highest paid coach in CUSA and has produced mediocre results.

It is very difficult to disagree with the criticism of Terry that is being mentioned by posters on this site. Terry should be criticized the most because he is the highest paid coach in CUSA and has produced mediocre results.
I wonder how President Wilson feels about the state of the athletic dept. She has the power to change our program.
Will she? Has she ever committed on the poor results that her college is paying for?
I’ve never heard it if she has. I think we need to put pressure on her.

Reactions: Rocketsr
I wonder how President Wilson feels about the state of the athletic dept. She has the power to change our program.
Will she? Has she ever committed on the poor results that her college is paying for?
I’ve never heard it if she has. I think we need to put pressure on her.
It's coming soon. She didn't hire any of these people. She's gonna want to put her own stamp on UTEP athletics when the money is right.

It's coming soon. She didn't hire any of these people. She's gonna want to put her own stamp on UTEP athletics when the money is right.
One of her early remarks about UTEP athletics was that the tail shouldn't wag the dog. She has also said that athletics is a university's front porch. Both are appropriate and true statements. She does show interest in Miner games by attending and even joining in celebrating the rare football wins. I believe she does want to see athletics succeed at UTEP but appears to be giving the AD and his hires another year to prove themselves. We will see. The 4th fb season with Dimel as HC is coming fast and coach Terry may be about to turn things around in his 3rd year.

Dr Wilson is an highly competent and effective administrator and UTEP is lucky to have her. She is not going to make a rash decision or one in regards to public opinion or loyalty. She will evaluate the athletic department with broad ranging guidelines which are not limited to just on field/court performance. Her guidelines likely include; department budget, administors/coaches/student athletes who attend class and adhere to university/ncaa rules, community outreach, graduation rates and adherence to the mission and goal of the institution. This may not be what some fans want but it is the best way to manage a program and best for the University.

Dr Wilson is an highly competent and effective administrator and UTEP is lucky to have her. She is not going to make a rash decision or one in regards to public opinion or loyalty. She will evaluate the athletic department with broad ranging guidelines which are not limited to just on field/court performance. Her guidelines likely include; department budget, administors/coaches/student athletes who attend class and adhere to university/ncaa rules, community outreach, graduation rates and adherence to the mission and goal of the institution. This may not be what some fans want but it is the best way to manage a program and best for the University.
This seems like Natalicio’s approach to athletics and coaches. Dimel is getting an extension for sure.

Last edited:
Well stated.

Total gut beer swilling Miner fan conjecture on my part but I really do think Dimel got a Pentagon style (she is retired high ranking military brass) butt chewing for blowing that UNT game and two steps back coming out of halftime play.

This seems like Natalicio’s approach to athletics and coaches. Dimel is getting an extension for sure.
Stull had to get her assurance he would be in full control and more support from her if he accepted the AD position back in the late 90's. She stuck to her word for years but then things went south.

Natalicio's and Wilson's approach to athletics is very different. Natalicio took a tolerance approach and athletics was never her point of focus, it was a supported but not to the point of an active role. Wilson will take a far more active roll, just as when she took the job, she evaluated everything, before making decisions, and slowly interjected herself. She will act and it will be decisive when she has evidence, cause or need to do so. Natalicio deferred to Stull.

on to Rice..... I can't imagine Rice fits anywhere in the post season unless they have found the a magic elixir of basketball. Watching their team last year, they have the shooters, but couldn't guard out front, way too slow and ball handling was sketchy. Don't remember how much easy buckets they gave up last year but it was a bunch. They will hit a lot of 3's but give up a lot as well. Miners need to pressure out front and play the lanes, disrupt their passing. They don't really go to the basket so the Miners should be able to limit their looks.

Wilson will take a far more active roll, just as when she took the job, she evaluated everything, before making decisions, and slowly interjected herself. She will act and it will be decisive when she has evidence, cause or need to do so. Natalicio deferred to Stull.
That still remains to be seen on the athletics side, but hopefully she is that way. We are going to see what she is made of this upcoming football season if we have another subpar year.

UTEP fans can be loud. Loved hearing them at UNT football game. When SMU was in CUSA was cool as well hearing our fans cheer when playing over there.

He isn't the only one saying it. The majority of the board is. You are actually the minority. Enough of the Rah Rah because it isn't helping. Just because he criticizes the poor coaching by Terry and Dimel, and horrible decisions by Senter does not mean he hates UTEP.

It is actually the opposite, and that he and most on this board are tired of the same crap every year and deserve better. Being a cheerleader and standing by is surely not going to help the problem. We have learned that long ago, and that it actually sets the program back even further.

Can he say it less candidly; sure. And yet is what he saying far from the truth? No.

This is the same thing with the Cowboys. Is it fair to the fans to have to put up with the same crap every single year. This has gone on long enough with our teams and a change has to be made. Don't ask me what exactly the program can do to change within the parameters of our budget, but something has to be done.

Missing my point
Anyone going to be at the game?
I'LL BE THERE!

interesting game tonight... Williams goes off with 30 points, with a tight first half but with a torrid second half run for a 90 - 70 win.. Miners could flirt with 100 points tonight...

• Haha
Reactions: JeeberD and JCorona
We need to get Kennedy going tonight

Agree. It sure as hell would be nice if he’d go to the hole with the explosiveness that he did against Arizona State (I think it was them) on that SportsCenter top 10 dunk. Showed his potential, but that potential ain’t doing us any good lying dormant.

He obviously has it in him. Will he bring it out?

Kennedy has been inconsistent offensively up to now, with some very poor looking shot attempts mixed in; air balls, etc. That end is still a big work on progress. His defense has been pretty solid, and he is definitely needed to defend the longer shooting guards, and athletic small forwards. My guy feeling is that we will continue to see more of Agnew, who is a pit bull defensively. I can see him playing a ton of minutes against Rice; and specifically matching up with their guard Evee, who is a handful offensively.

Shoot 45%, charity stripe should be at 80% and win rebounding margin. Miners are tough to beat when they control those elements. They don't need to bomb from the arc.

Reactions: miner1liner
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT