Votes: 12 75.0%
  • (12) lose to RICE

Votes: 4 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JCorona

MI Miner Maniac
Jun 15, 2014
We haven’t won two or more games in a conference tournament since Floyd’s first year at UTEP. Seeding wise I really do believe our best chance to end that streak and make a semis run is at #12. The matchups of (5)FIU and then (4)Charlotte seems more favorable than Marshall/ODU and then WKU/LT. Do you guys think it will matter or are we destined to go 0-1 or 1-1 with either seed we get?

Reactions: unihorn
I agree with your ideal matchup scenario. Only thing is, I’d hate to see us lose whatever little momentum we have with a loss today. Been since early to mid December since we’ve had a winning streak this long.

We haven’t won two or more games in a conference tournament since Floyd’s first year at UTEP. Seeding wise I really do believe our best chance to end that streak and make a semis run is at #12. The matchups of (5)FIU and then (4)Charlotte seems more favorable than Marshall/ODU and then WKU/LT. Do you guys think it will matter or are we destined to go 0-1 or 1-1 with either seed we get?
I say don't mess with momentum. These players are young and very streaky. You're telling me Terry is gonna say ok guys let's turn it down for this game?

Reactions: Autograph Boy
I say don't mess with momentum. These players are young and very streaky. You're telling me Terry is gonna say ok guys let's turn it down for this game?
I agree with your ideal matchup scenario. Only thing is, I’d hate to see us lose whatever little momentum we have with a loss today. Been since early to mid December since we’ve had a winning streak this long.
I agree with you guys. Play to win and take the hand we are dealt.

Don't forget guys that the three game win streak is against the fellow bottom feeders with a combined record of 31-59. When was the last win vs a team with a winning record?

Reactions: TxRdKiller
Don't forget guys that the three game win streak is against the fellow bottom feeders with a combined record of 31-59. When was the last win vs a team with a winning record?

Of course. We are not very good. Wouldn’t be out of the question that we don’t win another game this season. Still, would be fun for us to peak, play our best basketball and catch a wave of momentum. We’ve seen how any and every team is beatable in CUSA this year. Likely? No. Would it be fun? Yep, I think anyway.

I don’t think he suggested that at all. Rather if that was the fate of this team, perhaps landing in the 12th seed wouldn’t be such a bad thing as the Miners might have an easier draw.

With that said, I wonder what a loss does to morale and momentum, too.

Souley Boum having a pretty good game. UTEP up 4 at half. Tournament wins are never easy or guaranteed so I say get any win you can.

Only 7 players have seen action. Archie has yet to score.

I’m thinking RICE was onto my plan of playing a relaxed game.

I hope everyone we face from here on out is over confident that they’re gonna beat a sub par Miner team.

So much of the issue with this team was that they have consistently shot the ball at a very low clip. Shot selection seems to occur with more intention rather than just jacking anything up. Shooting at 40% plus from 3 lately. And overall fg percentage is up as well.

Also seem to have settled on the 7-8 who will see action from here on out. Play seems to be a little tighter. Taking care of the ball “better”. Lathon has only 2 TOs the last two games and over 10 assists. Not to mention he is helping out on the boards in a big way. Verhoeven is rebounding, getting us some second chance shots and altering shots. Edwards is in a nice rhythm. Boum playing way better the last two weeks than all season.

As has been said numerous times, all against lower tier teams. Let’s see what we can do against some better competition. Go Miners.

I can think of two numb-nutz that enjoy all the losing.

Zzzzzzzzzz. I must enjoy losing because I don’t think UTEP is a good team or even moderately successful over the last 10 years??? I enjoy posting here. When I don’t enjoy it anymore, I won’t post anymore.

Like always, him or I are barely in the thread, but keep getting brought up by “haters”.

Yeah, I’m sure they’re super scared of the team that can beat Rice, USM, and MTSU.
Zzzzzzzzzz. I must enjoy losing because I don’t think UTEP is a good team or even moderately successful over the last 10 years??? I enjoy posting here. When I don’t enjoy it anymore, I won’t post anymore.

Like always, him or I are barely in the thread, but keep getting brought up by “haters”.
gay

Only D2 teams, Pine Bluff, and Rice are worried about playing UTEP.
I'd say that's an exaggeration. Let's see what they do in the tournament. If they beat one of the top 4 teams, will u say you were wrong? Not saying they will or won't, but you're clearly sure there's no way in Hell.

Just woke up to see the victory (night shift). I have to say I am surprised that we won and looking at the box score the miners finished off the 2nd half strong. I can see us winning 1 or maybe 2 games in the CUSA tourney if we keep shooting well.

With our tighter rotation (which I like), foul trouble and fatigue may be a key factor for our front line. Good thing is we have a few bigs to burn.

I'd say that's an exaggeration. Let's see what they do in the tournament. If they beat one of the top 4 teams, will u say you were wrong? Not saying they will or won't, but you're clearly sure there's no way in Hell.

I will only sing the praises of this team/coach if they make it to the CUSA championship game. Anything else, is stuff teams do on a regular basis.

Yeah, we were playing bottom feeder teams in CUSA, yada, yada, yada. It's still good to see the Miners win four in a row, and to see the improved guard play. The one concern is Bryson Williams, who has struggled lately. And before someone talks about the double teams he regularly receives, he's missed several easy shots the last few games. If the guards continue their improved play, and Bryson returns to form, we will actually have a pretty decent team. Hopefully one that will make some noise in the CUSA Tournament.

Yes we already beat the best the WAC has to offer. I don’t see why a bunch of teams rated in the 204 - 353 range would give us any trouble.

UTEP lost to 199 FAU and 205 UTSA this year, so yeah, they would give us trouble. I can look up past years too, but you don’t want me to do that and discredit your statement further.

Reactions: Autograph Boy
CUSA champ UNT lost to Eastern Michigan who went 6-12 in the MAC. We can base stuff on single games all day.
The MAC is rated ahead of CUSA by the computers. I’m not the idiot saying cusa is better than the Mac. But they are better than the Wac.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT