ADVERTISEMENT

Rise Up 915

KFOX will air the match on Saturday. If the Miners can put on a show they might be able to set up decent attendance for the year

Reactions: JCorona
KTSM-9-DAY-FORECAST-2022-08-21T171435.319.jpg

Possible rain Saturday. Monsoon season.

• Wow
Reactions: FarWestTexas
NMSU game will depend on the performance of the first two games and how they look too. Good chance at a good crowd.

Boise, since it’s on a Friday, I don’t expect a good crowd, unless the Miners are 3-1. Boise plays Oregon St their 1st game, so they probably won’t be Top 25 when they play here.

I agree with your “optimistic” view. Hard to get excited about Miner football/basketball since they lose every big game and usually get blown out.
Wait are you chalking Oregon St. As a loss for Boise St.? That's interesting I'd say it's 50/50 only cause it's in Oregon.

Wait are you chalking Oregon St. As a loss for Boise St.? That's interesting I'd say it's 50/50 only cause it's in Oregon.
No. I’m saying Boise won’t be Top 25 because they’re playing an average OSU team, New Mexico, and UT-Martin before they play us. They might be on the fringes of Top 25 polls if they’re 3-0 before playing the Miners. I just don’t see them actually being ranked when they play here.

The weather people predicted “heavy rain” this weekend and I got a small drizzle. They’re as good at predicting rain as Hollywood Miner is at predicting UTEP scores.
I'll go along with that. I would prefer the local broadcast to be a replay late that night or even the next day to help motivate folks to get to the game.

Reactions: Dmanminer
No. I’m saying Boise won’t be Top 25 because they’re playing an average OSU team, New Mexico, and UT-Martin before they play us. They might be on the fringes of Top 25 polls if they’re 3-0 before playing the Miners. I just don’t see them actually being ranked when they play here.
Gotcha

Ticket update: who knows? UTEP keeps opening and closing tickets. Sections that were previously unavailable, suddenly have a lot. Sections that had a lot, suddenly have few. More of the same as far as a lack of transparency

After looking at tickets, they appear to be moving fast now. They are moving faster or UTEP is making some unavailable. There's still a lot of expensive seats. I'm still hoping we can sell this thing out

Reactions: MinerInWisconsin
The majority of those $80 tickets probably won’t be sold unless they are discounted.
I will remain hopeful. Looks like the ticketing website just crashed. Could mean a lot of people are trying to buy at the moment (hopefully) or it's just a bug that coincidentally popped up.

I will remain hopeful. Looks like the ticketing website just crashed. Could mean a lot of people are trying to buy at the moment (hopefully) or it's just a bug that coincidentally popped up.
The student tickets are almost gone. Should be a lively student section.

Reactions: picks up
From "Who the hell is Dana Dimel?!" five years ago to "UTEP is the feel good (program) story".

Facts of Dimel are that he has done this before at Houston and Wyoming. Right when some thought he'd turned things around he kind of faceplanted the programs. Will he repeat his history or actually get UTEP to greener pastures?

One thing is for certain (at least on paper), this current UTEP team is loaded with great talent and Dimel brought in productive JUCO players (one was a JUCO All-American), even with the departure of play maker Cowing who was a human highlight reel.

Dimel went 3-8, 0-11, and 5-7 at Houston. Who are these Cougar fans that “thought he’d turned things around”? Is their a Cougar2Step that believes that garbage?
I'd say it's probable the next year after 5-7 at Houston if Dimel had been allowed to stay they would've won double digit games. That following year Houston won with Dimel's players. At Wyoming he had them on the upswing before gerring hired at Houston. So he was 1-1 as a head coach and if UTEP wins this year he'll be 2-1 as a head coach turning around programs. (Read carefully, I'm not saying his overall record as a head coach) Still not a huge Dimel fan, but if he wins this year I'll be ok with his boring play calling.

I'd say it's probable the next year after 5-7 at Houston if Dimel had been allowed to stay they would've won double digit games. That following year Houston won with Dimel's players. At Wyoming he had them on the upswing before gerring hired at Houston. So he was 1-1 as a head coach and if UTEP wins this year he'll be 2-1 as a head coach turning around programs. (Read carefully, I'm not saying his overall record as a head coach) Still not a huge Dimel fan, but if he wins this year I'll be ok with his boring play calling.
Two different things. This is the same argument that is held on here every once in a while - Nord v Price. Price won with Nord players blah, blah, blah.

Maybe Dimel would have been successful in that 4th year, he wasn’t, Briles was. I bet Coug fans remember him for the 0-11 season and not for “turning things around” like 2Step wrongly claims.

Reactions: denverutep
"After coaching at Kansas State as an assistant under the legendary Bill Snyder, Dana Dimel was selected as the 9th headman of the Houston Cougars after a successful stint as the head coach at Wyoming. Dimel took over the program with fan support at an all-time low. The program's relationship and standing with local high school coaches was also at a nadir as a result of Helton's often dismissive attitude toward local programs. As part of Dimel's rebuilding program, he vowed to bring back the aggressive passing attack that the Cougars had featured during the successful Pardee/Jenkins years.

In the 2000 season, the Cougars opened with a 3–4 stretch, but didn't win another game for the remainder of the season as they finished 3–8. During the off-season, Dimel brought in one of the program's best-rated recruiting classes in decades, and he began reestablishing positive relationships with local high school programs.

Despite the positive attention surrounding Dimel's first recruiting class, the 2001 season was an unmitigated disaster. The Cougars went 0–11 on the season—to date, the only winless campaign in the history of the program. Despite the poor season, Dimel again brought in the top-rated recruiting class in Conference USA. The class featured a number of players who would form the nucleus of future winning teams, players such as Jackie Battle, Willie Gaston, Will Gulley and Roshawn Pope."
https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Houston_Cougars_football

I should've been more specific with "hope and aspirations".

Houston can go fly a kite.

Two different things. This is the same argument that is held on here every once in a while - Nord v Price. Price won with Nord players blah, blah, blah.

Maybe Dimel would have been successful in that 4th year, he wasn’t, Briles was. I bet Coug fans remember him for the 0-11 season and not for “turning things around” like 2Step wrongly claims.
I see, we'll I'm just saying if and that's still a Big if he gets UTEP Bowling again and wins a Bowl game, then he's done something special at Utep. I'm still with a "Let's wait and see approach"

Last edited:
Reactions: denverutep
I see, we'll I'm just saying if and that's still a Big of he gets UTEP Bowling again and wins a Bowl game, then he's done something special at Utep. I'm still with a "Let's wait and see approach"

I 100 percent agree with you. If Dimel wins a bowl game, then I will change my mind about him. Until then, I'm not confident with him at the helm.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT