ADVERTISEMENT

ROKU TV

miner1liner

MI Hall of Famer
Feb 10, 2014
Any of you know any details about Roku? I'm considering switching from AT&T UVERSE because of the cost difference. I already have subscriptions to Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu and ESPN+ and I guess local network channels are free. I will also want Bally Sports SW. I have one Smart TV and two regular Tv's. With Roku can I get the subscription channels on the regular TV's?. Also, apparently YouTube is somehow involved with Roku, but I don't know how.

Any of you know any details about Roku? I'm considering switching from AT&T UVERSE because of the cost difference. I already have subscriptions to Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu and ESPN+ and I guess local network channels are free. I will also want Bally Sports SW. I have one Smart TV and two regular Tv's. With Roku can I get the subscription channels on the regular TV's?. Also, apparently YouTube is somehow involved with Roku, but I don't know how.
Too bad you have me on ignore as I am an expert at this subject. Your ignorance on this is not surprising though.

I have Roku on 2 TVs at home. I think I paid $99 for each box. You still need some kind of TV service if you want regular channels (I have Spectrum). and you still have to pay for whatever app services you want like Netfix or whatever (unless it comes with the Roku now). It basically made those 2 TVs into smart TVs.

I think if you have smart TVs you really don't need Roku. I have a friend who has it connected to his projector and it works like a smart TV.

What's the difference between a $30 and $99 box? I have the lower priced one. Is the more expensive one worth it?

Reactions: axingfools1
Thanks. My situation is as I described it above. I have one smart TV, but I also have two regular TV's. Can I access everything that I have subscribed to on the regular TV's with ROKU?
BTW, I've seen Roku boxes advertised for $29.99 and $39.99.
I have Netflix, Amazon Prime, a ESPN + and Hulu already.
I just want to make sure that if I leave Uverse I don't sacrifice any of my present channels.

What's the difference between a $30 and $99 box? I have the lower priced one. Is the more expensive one worth it?
The $100 one should be “faster” when pulling up the apps and be able to hold more apps. Unless you have more than 50 apps, not a big deal. The more expensive one is not really worth it, unless you really need those extra few seconds to open up Netflix. It may have a fancier remote, but the functionality of the “box” remains the same.

However, it depends on their age too. As they are like cell phones. After a few years, they will stop receiving updates and you may not be able to get an update on your current apps or get new ones.

One of my boxes keeps flashing an overheat message. It will do it as soon as it turns on. Doesn't matter if it's been on for a minute or all day. About to replace it. Was thinking of grabbing the more expensive one this time but doesn’t seem like it's worth it.

One of my boxes keeps flashing an overheat message. It will do it as soon as it turns on. Doesn't matter if it's been on for a minute or all day. About to replace it. Was thinking of grabbing the more expensive one this time but doesn’t seem like it's worth it.
Not really. Unless you want voice control and headphones. I have two $30 Rokus and a $100 Apple TV. Very little difference and I will be replacing the $30 ones with similar models when they go bad. Had them for over 2 years now.

Reactions: JCorona
Thanks. My situation is as I described it above. I have one smart TV, but I also have two regular TV's. Can I access everything that I have subscribed to on the regular TV's with ROKU?
BTW, I've seen Roku boxes advertised for $29.99 and $39.99.
I have Netflix, Amazon Prime, a ESPN + and Hulu already.
I just want to make sure that if I leave Uverse I don't sacrifice any of my present channels.
It depends on the service. You would need a Roku device for each TV. HBO Max may limit you to a certain amount of devices at a time so one license many not serve on all tvs. Same with other premium channels but you can purchase a Roku and not have to rent boxes for each tv.

I have Sling TV as my live TV app. I had YoutubeTV for a while. I love YoutubeTV but it's expensive $80 a month. Sling is only about $40 or $45 per month for tons of channels. Not as user friendly but its okay.

I really only need Sling for NFL, Redzone and ESPN. Of course you can access lots of Miner games over ESPN+

CBSsports and Foxsport are not carried widely on Sling so I can't get some Miner games and it sucks. So something else to consider is Miner tv schedule.

I have a 3 or 4 year old Samsung smart TV BUT...there are software issues with it that I am having to deal with such as apps disappearing and remote not working. By contrast, I have a Roku device that is 6 or 7 years old and I don't have many issues with it. I do have to update software and add memory to it once in a while. It even picks up local channels so you can tune in our local stations through the device.

I also have a projector but purchased a Roku stick for it due to software issues and limitations. Works great and can project at 4k if you have a 4k projector.

All in all, I have more tv options than I have time to watch really. If you cut the cord, I don't think you'll miss it.

Oops one more thing, just doing some quick math, I probably spend about $100 a month on Sling, HBO, Prime, Netflix and Miner TV. I know some people who are spending $200 a month just on Spectrum. So if you can do with $100 extra in your pocket a month...not a bad deal.

Last edited:
Reactions: axingfools1

Roku is not a TV provider but rather it is hardware that allows you to stream TV services. It is not comparable to AT&T.

If you want ESPN3 you will need a TV streaming provider like YouTubeTV, Hulu with Live TV, or Sling Orange. Those all carry the ESPN channels. The first 2 are $65/month and Sling Orange is $35/month. (Sling Orange does not carry any of the Fox Sports channels...that is Sling Blue.) Also you may need an antenna to get some local channels with Sling. Both Blue and Orange together is $50/month. There are also differences on the amount of recording space you get and the number of TVs you can watch at the same time.

It's going to be very difficult to get Bally Sports SW because most of the streaming services I mentioned have dropped them. They do have an app that will run on Roku or Fire Stick, but you can't watch it unless you have a TV provider login that carries them like Spectrum or AT&T.

Last edited:
Reactions: kickballpro
I think there a many different varieties now. When I bought mine there was the basic Roku and then the one with more streaming options ($99). I think that option may be even better now and a little more expensive (like $120-$130?)

This is 100% wrong. ESPN+ is a standalone, over the top service. You do not need “regular” ESPN in order to get ESPN+. You definitely do not need a streamer like YouTube or Hulu to get it.
If you want ESPN+ you will need a TV streaming provider like YouTubeTV, Hulu with Live TV, or Sling Orange.

Reactions: kickballpro
Can you stream TNT, TMC, Disney, A &E, History Channel for free or pay by subscription? Can you record any programming? A friend told me that the local channels are accessed via YouTube. Is that correct?

Can you stream TNT, TMC, Disney, A &E, History Channel for free or pay by subscription? Can you record any programming? A friend told me that the local channels are accessed via YouTube. Is that correct?

I have Roku and get my channels through SlingTV.

YouTube TV is getting a little pricey.

Maybe I'll just stay with Uverse. It has everything I need, easy to access, DVR, Bally Sports, ESPN, etc. all wrapped up together with me and my remote.
Have to renegotiate a contract every year which is always a pain in the ass, but they eventually agree to an acceptable price when I threaten to cancel after they try to raise it.
Roku seems too limited and complicated for this old coot!

Maybe I'll just stay with Uverse. It has everything I need, easy to access, DVR, Bally Sports, ESPN, etc. all wrapped up together with me and my remote.
Have to renegotiate a contract every year which is always a pain in the ass, but they eventually agree to an acceptable price when I threaten to cancel after they try to raise it.

Roku isn't the provider.

Your iPhone has apps. And you just touch them and whatever app you touch provides the content.

Roku is just a device that puts the apps on your TV screen. Then with your remote you click on the app.

That's about the simplest way to put it.

I realize that Roku isn't the provider per say. It is however the alternative to Uverse in my case. I am merely saying that in my situation Uverse is more friendly for my needs.

Get the Firestick and pay for Hydrogen TV or a similar IPTV service. You will get thousands of Channels, and every single NFL, NBA, etc game. All the movie channels and pay per view are also on there for free. Just do a search for a fully loaded Firestick, or Download the IPTV on it yourself.

What do you get with Bally Sports?

What do you get with Bally Sports?
NBA; Mavericks, Spurs, Rockets on BSSW. Other NBA teams in different regions. Formerly It was Fox Sports Southwest. Also for those who care; Texas Rangers and Dallas Stars plus college football

NBA; Mavericks, Spurs, Rockets on BSSW. Other NBA teams in different regions. Formerly It was Fox Sports Southwest. Also for those who care; Texas Rangers and Dallas Stars plus college football

Rockets and Astros are on AT&T SportsNet SW not Bally.

Used to be on Fox Sports SW Assumed they went to Bally also. Sorry; I don't follow Astros and Rockets.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT