ADVERTISEMENT

Same Mistakes and missed opportunities so far

nattybry

MI Miner Maniac
Jul 7, 2003
I hope it changes, but Utep still dropping passes, not capitalizing on opportunities and playing below their talent. UTEP should be up at least 2 scores instead of down 4 pts. Smith has no excuse for that drop, None! *** As I'm writing this we get the Fumble, let's take advantage now***

Several great opportunities missed by the Miners. I hope we come ready to play better in the second half.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
Going to have a drink in Lewisville I'm physically sick. I hyped up Utep to my GF who's from here and she's never seen UTEP before. She said they looked nervous and out of sorts. Sad so much hype and they lay an egg against maybe the 5th or 6th best team on this year's schedule. Alot of season left, but this was an Awful Awful start 😒

Going to have a drink in Lewisville I'm physically sick. I hyped up Utep to my GF who's from here and she's never seen UTEP before. She said they looked nervous and out of sorts. Sad so much hype and they lay an egg against maybe the 5th or 6th best team on this year's schedule. Alot of season left, but this was an Awful Awful start 😒
Agree.

Cowing was an elite player. So elite that it made us look like we had an offense.

Dismal had one game and he blew it and will now be lucky to have 10000 at the next home game. Same old bullshit UTEP. Tell me I’m lying.

Reactions: TxRdKiller
With all that disappointed last night there were signs, but Dimel never seems to be able to have this team put it all together. I'm very surprised on how they came out in the 2nd half with the game still even and just got Dominated! Overall UTEP is not going to be as good as we thought and N. Texas may be a little better. It's the 1st game so not giving up just yet, but probably looking at a 2-3 start with an uphill climb to reach 6 wins, but there's still enough talent to at least do that.

Reactions: desantos
UNT did not look CUSA contender material either but they made plays when needed and their O line executed when need be. Hell, there were times they seemed to be giving UTEP the game. I want to defend Dimel. I have come to like the coach but what I saw yesterday needs to stop or just retire. I am not saying to go full Sean Kugle or Phil Bennett and yell in players faces but maybe give the newbies a shot?

Reactions: kickballpro
He is terrible and has some of the worst hands I have ever seen in practice. The running backs are slow and have no shiftiness to their game. As good as he is, it’s not a good sign when your best player on offense is a former walk on from ysleta high school.
I said this all last year and people thought I was nuts

I said this all last year and people thought I was nuts
I guess because he was injured from game 1 on, me and others gave him the benefit of the doubt. He did look pretty good in 2020, but he’s too slow and injury prone to be a good running back at this level. Once I saw him in a few practices try to catch very easy passes out of the backfield and drop 3 in a row, I realized that he is probably not what everyone made him out to be. Smith also has had mediocre hands, but he’s still a solid player. His drop last night was unforgivable.

DL looked small. #7 looked to be the biggest guy on our DL and he was getting regularly doubled and pushed around.

OL doesn’t finish and looks soft and anything but nasty.

From what I've seen in the first half, I see a big L.
Unless Dimel can do something unexpected to change the balance.
Does Dimel ever make adjustments?

His teams seem to do worse in the 2nd half. If they don't carry at least a 10-point lead into the half, I just don't have confidence that they can hold on, because the other team always seems to make better adjustments.

DL looked small. #7 looked to be the biggest guy on our DL and he was getting regularly doubled and pushed around.

OL doesn’t finish and looks soft and anything but nasty.
The UTEP OL was fantastic during pass situations. Hardison got sacked once and that was after holding on to the ball too long and not just tucking and running out of bounds to stop the clock.

But yes, the run blocking was hair pulling.

The answer to your question——— never.
hell he such a mastermind there’s no reason to make adjustments. Why else would you pay an offense coordinator and not let him call the plays,

The UTEP OL was fantastic during pass situations. Hardison got sacked once and that was after holding on to the ball too long and not just tucking and running out of bounds to stop the clock.

But yes, the run blocking was hair pulling.
The O line was great because they were only rushing 3 most of the night

Exactly. Because UTEP was so ineffective running the ball, UNT dropped 7/8 in zone coverage most of the night. Early in the game, they were getting pressure rushing just four. UNT's dominance on both sides of the line of scrimmage was the reason they won the game going away. I didn't think UTEP would be so poor in the trenches versus a team like UNT, but in reality, that happened against the decent teams last year as well.

Exactly. Because UTEP was so ineffective running the ball, UNT dropped 7/8 in zone coverage most of the night. Early in the game, they were getting pressure rushing just four. UNT's dominance on both sides of the line of scrimmage was the reason they won the game going away. I didn't think UTEP would be so poor in the trenches versus a team like UNT, but in reality, that happened against the decent teams last year as well.
I agree with you Lil Train. As it is said, “the games are won in the trenches “. I felt the offensive line didn’t block well in the run game, so it was not all Hankins and Awatt’s fault. What really disappointed me was the Defense. North Texas did whatever they wanted. They ran the ball up the middle for big gains and their pass game was mostly slant passes. Miners need to make some major improvements.

They were rushing four or more. They went three when it became obvious UTEP abandoned the run.

Warner got outcoach. Plain and simple. What's sickening was the boneheaded penalties and melt down by the UNT D coach and players and UTEP still couldn't capitalize. But UTEP plays a slow game. UNT regrouped after a stupid targeting review (after the safety already got away with one call).

For the life of me I don't know why Dimel doesn't get them up to the line and snap it quickly or go hurry up? He has done this since year one. "Oh, go ahead officer. I'll wait for you too search through my car again, you miss the 2 lbs of Jaurez's best greens in the wheel well area!"

Reactions: kickballpro
They were rushing four or more. They went three when it became obvious UTEP abandoned the run.

Warner got outcoach. Plain and simple. What's sickening was the boneheaded penalties and melt down by the UNT D coach and players and UTEP still couldn't capitalize. But UTEP plays a slow game. UNT regrouped after a stupid targeting review (after the safety already got away with one call).

For the life of me I don't know why Dimel doesn't get them up to the line and snap it quickly or go hurry up? He has done this since year one. "Oh, go ahead officer. I'll wait for you too search through my car again, you miss the 2 lbs of Jaurez's best greens in the wheel well area!"

I hate the Straight T QB Sneak.

Also, the Tempo Drives me crazy. I get why he does it and I see the Strategy he's trying to emply, but the Tempo never Changes. Mix it up. Go quick count sometimes. Go no huddle once in a while. If all you're running is Zone, you don't need much communication.

Reactions: axingfools1
Does Dimel ever make adjustments?

His teams seem to do worse in the 2nd half. If they don't carry at least a 10-point lead into the half, I just don't have confidence that they can hold on, because the other team always seems to make better adjustments.
Rocky Perez, former UTEP QB and radio broadcaster, made the same observation during multiple game broadcasts the last two years. He obviously didn’t mention the reason for the lack of halftime adjustments, but we all know offensive adjustments aren’t made by Dimel because he doesn’t know what the heck he is doing.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
I hate the Straight T QB Sneak.

Also, the Tempo Drives me crazy. I get why he does it and I see the Strategy he's trying to emply, but the Tempo never Changes. Mix it up. Go quick count sometimes. Go no huddle once in a while. If all you're running is Zone, you don't need much communication.
I’m only against if Hardison is committed to sliding or going out bounds. He has shown he’s not. Moxy is one thing, taking on a Mike LB and getting potentially hurt is another, even with qb protection rules. UTEP can’t afford to lose Hardison.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT