ADVERTISEMENT

Same Song, Fourth Verse

LaserCoog

All Star
Feb 5, 2002
Into his fourth season, Sean Kugler has neither recruited nor developed a legit QB, the most important position on the field. You might beat Old Dominion and a few others with Kavika and Metz, but neither should have been on that field yesterday. That's on Kugler.

You're so right. Reminds me of the Mike Price years. No depth anywhere but Wide Receiver. Still think this team will win more games than they lose. And in all seriousness, Greenlee may not be a stud, but I believe he'll move the offense better than Johnson or Metz.

@Hot, you may be right about Greenlee, but the fact that he transferred from Fresno State speaks volumes in and of itself. And for a transfer to be named starter after not so much as taking a live snap in spring training says about all you need to know about the current QBs on the roster. Sorry, but it's true. Again, it is just incomprehensible that a HC has whiffed at the most important position on the team after 4 recruiting years.

BTW, I've always felt Price's biggest shortcoming by far was likewise HIS failure to recruit/develop a legit QB. IMO, UTEP has not had a legit D1 QB since Vittatoe's sophomore season. Price's defenses under Patterson were more respectable than given credit, but he couldn't keep them off the field because his offenses the last 3-4 seasons couldn't score on a South Houston prostitute, mainly because he started JCs, walk-ons, etc. at QB.

Ought to be able to get a quality transfer from somewhere. Lots of disgruntled QBs out there that aren't getting playing time.

Texas, for example, moved Heard to WR and still can't get their 4th and 5th QBs on the field (Merrick and Locksley).

Reactions: LaserCoog
Ought to be able to get a quality transfer from somewhere. Lots of disgruntled QBs out there that aren't getting playing time.

And not just "disgruntled", there are plenty of talented players who simply get caught up in a numbers game, kids who could/should be playing somewhere but can't get on the field. After Greg Ward goes, Houston will have at least three QBs next year who would start at UTEP (Postma, King (5 star freshman QB), and Kyle Allen (5 star QB transfer from AnM). Again, only so much PT to go around. But you can't recruit top quality QBs (JC, transfers, whatever) to play for "Handoff U". Just can't. So you'd better be able to recruit/develop somebody. Again, that's on Kugler.

Into his fourth season, Sean Kugler has neither recruited nor developed a legit QB, the most important position on the field. You might beat Old Dominion and a few others with Kavika and Metz, but neither should have been on that field yesterday. That's on Kugler.
Kugler made some changes, and in the short time since our new Offensive Coordinator has been here, we have already brought in a former Elite 11 QB(unfortunately, he was hurt yesterday) and we also have a 3-Star QB, who plays in one of the toughest Districts in the entire State, already committted for next year. Your QB point has been valid, especially during last season, but I think that progress is being made.

Yesterday was an outlier and we won't play a team like that the rest of the year. UTEP purposely kept things vanilla and didn't show much on film. They wanted to eat clock and get out of there as quickly as possible and with as little damage as possible. I think that they accomplished that and I think that everyone already agrees that the QB play will have to be MUCH better than yesterday. The positive is that we did see that improved QB play during week one, when our Starter passed for 3 TD's and No Interceptions, now we just need to get him back.

Last edited:
Reactions: liebestraum
And not just "disgruntled", there are plenty of talented players who simply get caught up in a numbers game, kids who could/should be playing somewhere but can't get on the field. After Greg Ward goes, Houston will have at least three QBs next year who would start at UTEP (Postma, King (5 star freshman QB), and Kyle Allen (5 star QB transfer from AnM). Again, only so much PT to go around. But you can't recruit top quality QBs (JC, transfers, whatever) to play for "Handoff U". Just can't. So you'd better be able to recruit/develop somebody. Again, that's on Kugler.

You're forgetting Sells, who would be UH's true 3rd string qb. Only reason King got reps before him at the position is because his rs has been burned due to his overall athletic ability, and the Coogs' need for a slot receiver. So make that 4.

You're forgetting Sells, who would be UH's true 3rd string qb.

I stand (actually, sit) corrected, although technically I did say UH would have "at least 3 QBs" that would start next year at UTEP. Bottom line, we all agree that a consistent influx of QB talent is a prerequisite to build/sustain a competitive program. Failure to do so demonstrates either lack of strategic vision or an inability to attract talent to your system/program. Or both.

I agree that Kavika was garbage yesterday. But that was Texas and the receivers and line did him absolutely no favors. Cause if we're being honest here what UTEP QB has had success against a top tier opponent? Now, if he sucks against Army then we have some serious problems.

It's not really fair to judge Greenlee at this point. He has had very little time to adjust here since he did not attend spring ball. He is still learning the offense and personel. In the nmsu game he didn't look bad but he didn't look good either, and he didn't play in the Texas game. He needs to play in a few more games before he should be judged.

I think the Kugler QB issue has a lot to do with our WR's. Kugler doesn't recruit quality receivers and our WR's position is very weak.

We will not get a quality QB or WRs because they don't want to come here and handoff the ball or block 90% of the plays. Why would a throwing QB want to play here with this offense.

I stand (actually, sit) corrected, although technically I did say UH would have "at least 3 QBs" that would start next year at UTEP. Bottom line, we all agree that a consistent influx of QB talent is a prerequisite to build/sustain a competitive program. Failure to do so demonstrates either lack of strategic vision or an inability to attract talent to your system/program. Or both.

Kinda just bustin' ur ballz. I did read where you said "at least three...". Agree with your point, though.:cool:

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT