ADVERTISEMENT

Saturday's UTEP Football Game Will be Played With No Fans

MistaBinks

MI VIP
Jan 13, 2008
El Paso, Texas
EDITED TO ADD: GAME POSTPONED

EL PASO, TEXAS – UTEP President Heather Wilson and Director of Athletics Jim Senter announced today that UTEP’s football game against North Texas this Saturday (Oct. 31)will be played with no fans in attendance.

The game will kick off at noon Mountain timeand will be played before a national television audience on CBS Sports Network.

There has been no evidence of community spread from the Miners’ first two football home games because Miner fans did the right things. While sporting events like those at UTEP were exempted from limitations, local health officials have asked residents to stay home at this time unless they are performing essential activities.

“Miner fans have been terrific in following best health practices at our football games,” Wilson said. “They have been doing the right things – wearing masks, social distancing, staying in assigned seats combined with a reduced seating capacity has kept everyone safe. At the same time, the disease levels around us are high, and, in support of El Paso’s efforts to keep people home, we have decided not to allow fans at Saturday’s game.”

Athletic Director Jim Senter added, “Student-athlete infections have been nearly non-existent due to their diligence in following the recommended safety protocols and the frequency of testing. While we believe that our department and our fans have followed all of the best practices to ensure a safe experience, the disease is at very high levels around us. We understand El Paso’s desire to encourage people to stay home this weekend.”

Last edited:
I’m going to climb the mountain and watch while my lady strokes my shaft.
I can't believe I let my guard down and didn't see that coming.

GleefulAgonizingCygnet-max-1mb.gif

That was offered.
Yeah, I noticed the UNT writers saying "sources" said that was offered so maybe it was but also maybe not. Even if it was offered why should the Miners go on the road for the 4th game in a row. Reschedule for Dec 5th or 12th in El Paso.

MinerinWisconsin, I actually would have jumped at that opportunity because I get a feeling that the game somehow will never be rescheduled and played. I could be wrong as I thought there wouldn’t even be a season. The Southern Miss game has yet to be rescheduled as far as I know. Hope they get both rescheduled!

They should've played in Denton. Especially considering fans wouldn't be allowed. We wouldn't be making any gate revenue regardless.

Reactions: EMA884
Just odd that the games affected by Corona were winnable home games.......corona is an easy out I guess for a coach on the hot seat looking to avoid an embarrassing loss.

Kappy had a great point for them not playing in Denton. How many teams in the conference already have negative things to say about playing here in normal years? Playing this game in Denton and losing a home game sets a nasty precedent for the future. I like UTEP standing their ground here.

Reactions: Cube Jack
Yeah, I noticed the UNT writers saying "sources" said that was offered so maybe it was but also maybe not. Even if it was offered why should the Miners go on the road for the 4th game in a row. Reschedule for Dec 5th or 12th in El Paso.
Players want to play.

But anyways, number went down in El Paso and hopefully citizens are getting serious so December can be penciled in?

I don't blame UNT and I saw this coming. What I didn't see is the selfishness by so many El Pasoans to cause 2020 NY City spring like crisis.

El Paso is all over the world news and for the wrong reasons. We're better than this.

Reactions: axingfools1 and Rot
Players want to play.

But anyways, number went down in El Paso and hopefully citizens are getting serious so December can be penciled in?

I don't blame UNT and I saw this coming. What I didn't see is the selfishness by so many El Pasoans to cause 2020 NY City spring like crisis.

El Paso is all over the world news and for the wrong reasons. We're better than this.
Sorry but imho that is bs. Teams travel with strict protocols and basically in a bubble. UNT players and staff were not going to be out on the town. Canceling should only happen if the team has an outbreak. Screw UNT. Houston, Orlando and Miami have all hosted college fb games while they were hot spots.

Sorry but imho that is bs. Teams travel with strict protocols and basically in a bubble. UNT players and staff were not going to be out on the town. Canceling should only happen if the team has an outbreak. Screw UNT. Houston, Orlando and Miami have all hosted college fb games while they were hot spots.
Exactly, if this game can’t be rescheduled then UNT should forfeit. There are zero active cases on the UTEP team and there are zero fans in the stands. Complete pussy move by UNT.

Didn't someone say their starting QB is out?
If that's true that is the reason they don't want on play

Reactions: picks up
I said this. The original starter was listed as the backup. COVID had nothing to do with the personnel change

So sitting out this game gives the new starter more reps in practice, more comfortable with the calls.

One thing you have to think about if you're in the coaches situation, IF there is a serious injury, where does that athlete go?

I say no to playing any of these scheduled home games on the road. What happens next year or when we return to a normal season? will the conference give us those games back? don't think so. They won't be giving us 6 conference with 2 away when we get back, we will get 4 and 4 just like a normal season. UTEP pays a price, other conference mates nothing. Please hold these teams to rescheduling promises. UTEP has fulfilled their conference obligations so far and other schools must do the same.

Good for Dimel. These numbers will go down as it appears El Pasoans are taking heed. Numbers are down this morning (but still way, way too high). I am anticipating lower numbers in December for EP so UNT should have no excuse since CUSA has an aggressive Covid 19 protocol in place.

However, I do not blame UNT. Our city let this team down, not UNT. I'm not going to blame Governor Abbott nor our local politicians nor health officials. This falls on the citizenry who blew off the dangers of this virus.

If the numbers are down by December and El Paso shows improvement and UNT still says "thanks, but no thanks" then they should forfeit the game. Then I will tweet "UNTchickenshit" if so.

Reactions: kickballpro
UTEP should never take a road game instead of q home game. Every school would try to complain about playing in EP. These schools wanted to play, then be a man and play the games.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT