ADVERTISEMENT

Secret Scrimmages vs Exhibitions

Prospero915

Rookie
Nov 16, 2014
Looks like a lot of college basketball teams are going this route in the pre-season. Any thoughts as to why the current trend?

I feel at least, exhibition games would give the team the chance to play in front of a crowd in the Haskins Center. It will be interesting to see how they perform in an opener vs the Aggies.

Also, does anyone else have the strange feeling that this team is gonna play a tough game vs the Longhorns?? I do!

An Exhibition game usually involves D2 teams, but UTEP has decided to play those in the regular season and charge full price for tickets to them.

A scrimmage is a win win, as you can play a higher level opponent and few fans will know what happened during the game. So if you lose to someone you probably shouldn’t, it’s like it never happened.

Looks like a lot of college basketball teams are going this route in the pre-season. Any thoughts as to why the current trend?

I feel at least, exhibition games would give the team the chance to play in front of a crowd in the Haskins Center. It will be interesting to see how they perform in an opener vs the Aggies.

Also, does anyone else have the strange feeling that this team is gonna play a tough game vs the Longhorns?? I do!
Fundraiser exhibitions are a win win for all. However, not all coaches want info being blasted out and it’s obvious Coach Golding is no exception.

But they’re exhibitions.

No, we’re not going to beat Texas. Love’em or hate’em, Texas is loaded top to bottom. But I have a high bar from our guards and forwards and I totally expect Golding to be back atop CUSA standings.

Reactions: Prospero915
Fundraiser exhibitions are a win win for all. However, not all coaches want info being blasted out and it’s obvious Coach Golding is no exception.

But they’re exhibitions.

No, we’re not going to beat Texas. Love’em or hate’em, Texas is loaded top to bottom. But I have a high bar from our guards and forwards and I totally expect Golding to be back atop CUSA standings.

You EXPECT UTEP to be at the top of the CUSA standings? Are you new here?

An Exhibition game usually involves D2 teams, but UTEP has decided to play those in the regular season and charge full price for tickets to them.

A scrimmage is a win win, as you can play a higher level opponent and few fans will know what happened during the game. So if you lose to someone you probably shouldn’t, it’s like it never happened.

yeah there is some rule about if you scrimmage a D1 it has to be closed door but lower division scrimmages can be opened up.

like you said, now we get a Sul Ross type school as a regular season game

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT