ADVERTISEMENT

Seed possibilities for the coming week

STexMiner

MI Hall of Famer
Feb 15, 2004
If you still care. I'm not quite sure how much I do. So, basically we're hoping for a loss by UAB and/or WKU.

The good news is that we hold the tiebreak over two of the three teams we're competing against. If we end up in some combination of a tie with UAB and ODU, we win it, either head to head or three way since we beat both of them. The bad, is that if we end up in any form of tiebreak with WKU, we lose. If end up in a three way with UAB and WKU, all three teams would be 1-1 against each other. UAB wins because they beat Tech and WKU gets in over us because of head to head. If it's tied between WKU, ODU, and us, we would at least come in second in that bunch. If somehow all 4 end up in a tie, we'd be second or third in the tiebreak.

The key game this week, of course, is WKU at ODU on Saturday, It will probably decide the entire ball of wax. WKU plays at Charlotte and Marshall is at ODU tomorrow. UAB plays the Florida schools at home this week, so there probably isn't a lot of hope in them losing a game.

#2 seed: We have to sweep and have UAB and WKU lose one game. If we split, both have to lose both games.
#3 seed: Assuming we and UAB win out, it basically comes down to ODU beating WKU. If we split, ODU has to lose to Marshall and beat WKU.
#4 seed: If we and WKU win out, we're the 4 seed. If we split, and WKU splits by winning at ODU and ODU splits or goes 0-2, then we're the 4.
#5 seed: If we and WKU go 0-2 or if we both split with WKU losing at ODU and ODU goes 2-0, we're the 5.

I know there's more fun to be had with who has to win what to get into the multiple team tiebreaks, but I'm out of brain power right now. When all said and done, I think we end up #3. I think ODU beats WKU. And, I think we'll sweep the homestand. But, as you can probably tell by now, anything is possible with this team.

Well, UAB is actually playing at the Florida schools, and it looks like FAU has pulled the upset. My game tracker says 61-59 FAU with 1 second left.

WKU is up 3 on Charlotte with 4:00 left. ODU is up 4 at half over Marshall.

So, some good news.

This post was edited on 3/5 7:51 PM by STexMiner

ODU won as well. Assuming we can hang on tonight, it'll be a four way tie for 2-5 going into the last game of the season.

So, a UTEP and ODU win on Saturday, we are the #2 seed.
A UTEP and WKU win and we are number #3

Yeah, if UTEP and ODU win we're the 2 seed. UAB doesn't matter all that much in this scenario because whether we're tied with them or tied with them and ODU, we'd win both tie breakers.

If UTEP and WKU win and UAB loses, we're the 3 seed. We'd be tied with WKU for 2 and 3 and WKU has the head-to-head over us. UAB and ODU would be tied for 4 and 5.

If UTEP, WKU, and UAB win (or all lose), we're the 4 seed. That would be a three way tie between UTEP/WKU/UAB. All three teams were 1-1 against each other this year. UAB would be 2 due to their win over Tech, WKU would be 3 due to head to head, and UTEP would be 4.

If UTEP and WKU loses, we're the 5 seed. The inverse of the second scenario.

This post was edited on 3/5 10:31 PM by STexMiner

Originally posted by STexMiner:
Yeah, if UTEP and ODU win we're the 2 seed. UAB doesn't matter all that much in this scenario because whether we're tied with them or tied with them and ODU, we'd win both tie breakers.

If UTEP and WKU win and UAB loses, we're the 3 seed. We'd be tied with WKU for 2 and 3 and WKU has the head-to-head over us. UAB and ODU would be tied for 4 and 5.

If UTEP, WKU, and UAB win (or all lose), we're the 4 seed. That would be a three way tie between UTEP/WKU/UAB. All three teams were 1-1 against each other this year. UAB would be 2 due to their win over Tech, WKU would be 3 due to head to head, and UTEP would be 4.

If UTEP and WKU loses, we're the 5 seed. The inverse of the second scenario.

This post was edited on 3/5 10:31 PM by STexMiner
You are correct, UAB would be #2 based on their win over La Tech. WKU would be #3 but not because of head to head but because of their 2-0 record over ODU, the next highest ranked team. You don't revert to head to head once you start comparing records against the highest ranked teams. This still doesn't change your projected order.

"If the remaining teams are still tied, then each tied team's record shall be compared to the
team with the highest winning percentage in the final regular-season standings, continuing
down through the standings until a team gains an advantage. This continues until all ties
are broken. At no point does the tie breaker revert to head to head record."

Also, if all three lose as you mention above, ODU would be 2, UAB 3, UTEP 4 (due to their win over ODU) and WKU 5.

This post was edited on 3/5 10:38 PM by 66CHamps

This post was edited on 3/5 10:55 PM by 66CHamps

Not, that it matters, but it's head-to-head. At least that's how I read it. The rule is terribly written.

2. Compare each team's record vs. the team or group of tied teams occupying the highest position in the standings. Continue down through the standings until one team gains an advantage. If two teams have the same advantage or disadvantage (i.e. having the same and better record aginst a compared team relative to their mini-conference), they are separated at that point by the two-way tie-breaker. The next step would take you back to Step 1 (e) (Multiple-Team Tie).

(1) e. After the top or bottom teams in a mini-conference are determined, the remaining teams are ranked by their record in the original mini-conference.
i. If there are any remaining teams tied by their record in the mini-conference, then head-to-head results will determine the higher seed.

Not, that it matters, but it's head-to-head. At least that's how I read it. The rule is terribly written.

2. Compare each team's record vs. the team or group of tied teams occupying the highest position in the standings. Continue down through the standings until one team gains an advantage. If two teams have the same advantage or disadvantage (i.e. having the same and better record aginst a compared team relative to their mini-conference), they are separated at that point by the two-way tie-breaker. The next step would take you back to Step 1 (e) (Multiple-Team Tie).

(1) e. After the top or bottom teams in a mini-conference are determined, the remaining teams are ranked by their record in the original mini-conference.
i. If there are any remaining teams tied by their record in the mini-conference, then head-to-head results will determine the higher seed.
You're right I don't think it matters but I took the paragraph above from this link:
It's pretty clear you don't revert back to head to head to break the ties.

Tie breaker.

Originally posted by 66CHamps:

You're right I don't think it matters but I took the paragraph above from this link:
It's pretty clear you don't revert back to head to head to break the ties.
I think those are the rules from 2006. :) Page 9 of the link are the updated rules. I didn't see the "in no instance does H-to-H determine the winner...." I could be wrong, though.

This post was edited on 3/5 11:13 PM by STexMiner

Men's BB Notebook

Wake me up when the dust settles...oh wait, I'm a big boy, I've got my own alarm. I'm good.

We clinched a bye.

ODU leading by 10 at the end of the first half. If this holds, we're the 2 seed.

Ok STex, as the most likely #2 seed, it looks like we will get the winner of the 7/10. Probably going to be a 3 way tie for 7 between N. Texas, UTSA and Rice.

Those 3 all went 2-2 against each other. I think N. Texas' win over La Tech will get them the 7 seed. Good chance we play them in the first round. Agree?

That sounds right. I think I'll wait until the dust settles. If Middle Tennessee loses and FIU and Marshall win tonight, that would be a 6-way tie for 6-11. At that point, I'd just give up.

This post was edited on 3/7 5:42 PM by STexMiner

If FIU loses, we play the winner of (7) UNT and (10) FIU

If FIU wins, we play the winner of (7) UTSA and (10) FIU

This post was edited on 3/7 8:42 PM by STexMiner

(7) UTSA v. (10) FIU, winner v. (2) UTEP.

All in all, not a bad day. UAB is on Tech's side of the bracket. ODU is on ours. Thrilled with having UTSA on our side. Not quite as enthused with FIU. UTSA beat FIU in their only meeting.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT