ADVERTISEMENT

Seems like the final nail, dunnit?

USAFminersfan

MI Regular
Nov 8, 2008
I remember the moment I stopped paying as much attention to UTEP football— the moment the original conference realignment moves began. I knew this was a chain reaction scenario, and UTEP would lose in every scenario. I felt it was the end of overall competitive fbs football. It was becoming more of the “haves/have nots”.

I have to say though, I never expected it to get quite this bad. This seems like the final nail-in-coffin scenario for an athletic program that was struggling mightily, as is.

Don’t know where our chips will fall when the dust settles, but one thing is for sure, it dunt look good for the Mighty Miners….

I think the defectors are making a mistake for short term gain. AAC will be a CUSA clone and the transferring teams will be no better off after the next realignment in 2 years. The big problem is that the Mouse has his thumb on the scale. CUSA pissed off ESPiN and now they're trying for revenge.
Keep CUSA together and spend the exit fees wisely.

Hopefully it is a harsh wake up call for UTEP to finally invest in the football program. That is UTEP's only ticket to upgrade conferences.
Is there any money to do that, though? I remember when they voted on an athletic fee to be added to tuition to help support our programs, and it was soundly shut down.

I just don’t know any way we climb out of the hole we’re about to be sucked in to…

Is there any money to do that, though? I remember when they voted on an athletic fee to be added to tuition to help support our programs, and it was soundly shut down.

I just don’t know any way we climb out of the hole we’re about to be sucked in to…
[Mike Price] “Ya’ll miss me?”

Say what you will, he knew how to sell UTEP.

Reactions: USAFminersfan
Rumors now swirling that MAC might come and take WKU and MTSU.

Put a nail in CUSA. ESPN got everyone they wanted from there and will now make sure they don't have to pay exit fees.
Makes traveling costs sense.

Rumors now swirling that MAC might come and take WKU and MTSU.

Put a nail in CUSA. ESPN got everyone they wanted from there and will now make sure they don't have to pay exit fees.
If that happens, CUSA is done for sure. Nothing they could do now. Except offer big bucks for FCS schools. Though UTEP, LaTech, and FIU would be searching for a new league every single day. Why would any sane AD/President want to join that league?

Reactions: JCorona
Sounding alot like when the WAC got raided and NMSU kept getting left behind. Now unless something amazing happens to save us, we're gonna be standing right next to our ugly sister single and no one to go to Prom with!

If that happens, CUSA is done for sure. Nothing they could do now. Except offer big bucks for FCS schools. Though UTEP, LaTech, and FIU would be searching for a new league every single day. Why would any sane AD/President want to join that league?

C-USA is DEAD.

To AAC (invitations were accepted this morning): UAB, Charlotte, Florida Atlantic, North Texas, UTSA, Rice
To Sun Belt: Southern Miss, ODU, La Tech, MTSU or Marshall
To MAC: WKU, Marshall or MTSU

12 schools gone. 2 remain: UTEP, FIU

C-USA is DEAD.

Reactions: Lil_Train
The only school worse off than us is La Tech. The Sun Belt spent the better part of decade trying to get them to join. Tech always shit on ULM and ULL. Now ULL and ULM have front row seats to their demise.

C-USA is DEAD.

To AAC (invitations were accepted this morning): UAB, Charlotte, Florida Atlantic, North Texas, UTSA, Rice
To Sun Belt: Southern Miss, ODU, La Tech, MTSU or Marshall
To MAC: WKU, Marshall or MTSU

12 schools gone. 2 remain: UTEP, FIU

C-USA is DEAD.
Where do you see La Tech to Sun Belt? I don't see that reported anywhere or your just guessing?

It was never about winning it never has been.

If UTEP resided in a top tv market this tweet would also say

UTEP has had 6, well now almost 7, winning seasons since 1967.
Yep. If El Paso was a top 50 tv market instead of in the 90's and if tons of fbs caliber recruits were in El Paso, then UTEP would have an invite in hand to either the MWC or the AAC. Look at UNT, now going for their 3rd straight losing season in football and nobody cares. Rice, football loses but nobody cares. They are both in the AAC now because of their location.

Sooner or later the MWC will expand. UTEP. Needs to do all it can to polish it up… let’s hope CUSA survives for the time being. Otherwise, build up the WAC. Again 😭

RICE has had 10 winning seasons the last 60 years.

UTEP has had the same the last 60 years.

Looks pretty even.

We can't compare FAU and UNT since they haven't played FBS football for even half of that time.

That's not considering basketball.
Rice gives access to more recruits, has a stellar baseball program, and is a highly regarded academic institution. TV market aside, UTEP has none of that.

UTEPs only shot is to be good at football and men’s basketball. To further clarify, I mean both sports, not just 1.

Rice gives access to more recruits, has a stellar baseball program, and is a highly regarded academic institution. TV market aside, UTEP has none of that.

UTEPs only shot is to be good at football and men’s basketball. To further clarify, I mean both sports, not just 1.
In other words my original comment is true.

"It was never about winning it never has been"

Its not about wins or TV markets, you guys keeping missing the mark on why these six are chosen bros.

Each of these programs have invested major funds or long term investments in their football programs since 2013, they pay their coaches AND assistants competitive salaries, they have had hot name head coaches or assistants or assistants who go to better jobs even if they aren't household names, they each have top notch facilities, (Rice has a new bubble but they aren't a top facility team IMO, they are probably more due to location), each of these schools have put millions into their programs in areas that don't make news or headlines and yes it does help they are in "big markets" and hot bed recruiting markets but they have invested in their programs which will help them in recruiting and fundraising in a new conference, that is why they are sexier than our Mineros.

What was UTEP's last biggest major upgrade or investment that was for UTEP football ONLY AND SOLEY for the program and not for the Sun Bowl game too?

So my next question would be and can't wait to read yall answers later, what's the next big investment UTEP needs to look at or strategize for the football program only?

Reactions: jdubb66
Its not about wins or TV markets, you guys keeping missing the mark on why these six are chosen bros.

Each of these programs have invested major funds or long term investments in their football programs since 2013, they pay their coaches AND assistants competitive salaries, they have had hot name head coaches or assistants or assistants who go to better jobs even if they aren't household names, they each have top notch facilities, (Rice has a new bubble but they aren't a top facility team IMO, they are probably more due to location), each of these schools have put millions into their programs in areas that don't make news or headlines and yes it does help they are in "big markets" and hot bed recruiting markets but they have invested in their programs which will help them in recruiting and fundraising in a new conference, that is why they are sexier than our Mineros.

What was UTEP's last biggest major upgrade or investment that was for UTEP football ONLY AND SOLEY for the program and not for the Sun Bowl game too?

So my next question would be and can't wait to read yall answers later, what's the next big investment UTEP needs to look at or strategize for the football program only?
Bingo

I am not sure what it should be. I can say that asking for it now or soon is a big mistake. Imagine being a donor and Senter hits you up for money. The team is in an unstable, short term solution, conference or Independent and the football team has 1 good year. That doesn’t exactly scream “We need an upgrade” to me. Maybe another 2 or 3 years of respectable football and we can talk about upgrades.

UTEP will do what it has always done, survive to fight another day. On that same note we have gone with out TV money and still managed to survive, we have be left for dead 3 times in the last 25 years. MAC-WAC-ACC-MWC-CUSA-SB it's all about the same and everyone in those conferences are on the outside looking in, none are going to win the money game in the long run, not going to be seated at the table when decisions are made and no going to a NC championship game unless god and a minion on angles prevail.

Reactions: Roy_Bigwood_05
Thats true. Here's the press release by the AAC. They mention the investments done by those universities.

Those schools have the financial backing of their donors to pull projects like that. A lot of those programs haven't been successful or even in existence but their fans still give them money. That's the big difference. El Paso wants a winner on a $5 budget.

TV markets still played a huge role. They added programs in the #5, #8, #16, #21, #31, and #44 markets.

They already had the #4, #5, #12, #26 #38, #50, #51, #58

All of their schools are in the top 60. That's no coincidence.

Reactions: Roy_Bigwood_05
Thats true. Here's the press release by the AAC. They mention the investments done by those universities.

Those schools have the financial backing of their donors to pull projects like that. A lot of those programs haven't been successful or even in existence but their fans still give them money. That's the big difference. El Paso wants a winner on a $5 budget.

TV markets still played a huge role. They added programs in the #5, #8, #16, #21, #31, and #44 markets.

They already had the #4, #5, #12, #26 #38, #50, #51, #58

All of their schools are in the top 60. That's no coincidence.
Yup no doubt markets played a role in the equation.

what's the next big investment UTEP needs to look at or strategize for the football program only?

Invest in football coaching? Invest in athlete nutrition? Practice facility/bubble? Start buying mega millions tickets? New stadium?
I've always had orange colored glasses when it comes to the Sun Bowl, but I imagine everyone else sees it like Rice's stadium. Yeah, it's big, it has history, and they are over 50 years old.

Indy football is double but comes with issues especially late season games
1. Schedule to win, limit the money games. (don't go down the NMSU route and schedule 3 a year)
2. Get on the phone with LA TECH, Liberty, U Mass and get late in the season home and home matchups, and play 6 home games a year
3. Move the NMSU game to November
4. We have conference schedule through next year and out of conference is set for the next two
so we have time. It's likely some of the CUSA teams living will ask to get off the schedule next year,
make them pay for the privilege.

I think we missed our window for upgrades in the late 2000's (maybe around 2007-2008). It would have been great timing after some good football success and near the end of Price's tenure and at the beginning of Barbee's. We could have worked on investing big into football upgrades (including a new/better coach) and then basketball could have followed riding the success of Barbee.

In 2007 Paul Foster was worth 1.9 billion dollars, was voted on to the Texas board of regents and donated 50 million to the school of medicin. He donated 5 million for Sun Bowl renovations. He may have already had plans for getting into minor league sports, but who knows.

Reactions: Lil_Train
When you have an "undesirable" location like UTEP you have to have elite facilities. I've said it for 15 years one of the dumbest decisions ever made wad to build an basketball practice facility before and indoor football practice facility. Only UTEP would be that stupid. We need to immediately announce a capital fundraising campaign to build an indoor facility. If you are going to recruit kids to the end of the Earth you better have an indoor facility. Especially since most of their high schools have one.

I don't know how many of you have seen the renderings for Stull's Sun Bowl South end zone renovation. The renovation of the South endzone would have been a game changer and turned the Sun Bowl into a really modern stadium. Those plans should be dusted off. There are at least four donors I know who have private jets that are at UTEP's disposal when they need them. Senter should be on one now going around the country visiting our most prominent donors. In short order we need to announce we are embarking on facility upgrades and have the first financial commitments.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT