ADVERTISEMENT

Seems like the final nail, dunnit?

I'm now leaning toward Indy in football and win and improve facilities, til we get invited somewhere better in the future. Then WAC with NMSU or whatever for basketball and other sports. I was opposed to this, but after yesterday's news our choices are limited. Could be ok I suppose, 2 big money games, two fcs games, UNM, NMSU, and other winnable FBS games and go bowling and build back up fans in the stands by winning.

I'm now leaning toward Indy in football and win and improve facilities, til we get invited somewhere better in the future. Then WAC with NMSU or whatever for basketball and other sports. I was opposed to this, but after yesterday's news our choices are limited. Could be ok I suppose, 2 big money games, two fcs games, UNM, NMSU, and other winnable FBS games and go bowling and build back up fans in the stands by winning.
If at all possible it's best to try to build cusa 3.0 with the remainders. Being independent is an almost impossible way to build your program. If we had to dump our olympic sports somewhere I would prefer the Big West. Hawaii is in the Big West and has to pay travel subsidies. We would have to pay subsidies but not as much as Hawaii. It's cheaper to get to El Paso. At least we were once in a conference with Hawaii and they have some name recognition. It's far from ideal. The WAC is non starter. Playing in a league with schools transitioning from d2 and the former Southland members would be the end of UTEP basketball.

Reactions: groundrounds
That's one of the issues. No bowling for independents unless conferences can't fill their slots.

Reactions: FedupMiner
That's one of the issues. No bowling for independents unless conferences can't fill their slots.
That is true. And unfortunately UTEP is in no position to negotiate independent bowl tie-ins like BYU and Army has. On the other hand, it makes UTEP a free agent to play in any bowl should they qualify and there's an available slot to fill.

If at all possible it's best to try to build cusa 3.0 with the remainders. Being independent is an almost impossible way to build your program. If we had to dump our olympic sports somewhere I would prefer the Big West. Hawaii is in the Big West and has to pay travel subsidies. We would have to pay subsidies but not as much as Hawaii. It's cheaper to get to El Paso. At least we were once in a conference with Hawaii and they have some name recognition. It's far from ideal. The WAC is non starter. Playing in a league with schools transitioning from d2 and the former Southland members would be the end of UTEP basketball.
Big west is fine, just didn't know if the Cal teams would go for it.

Reactions: TxRdKiller
When you have an "undesirable" location like UTEP you have to have elite facilities. I've said it for 15 years one of the dumbest decisions ever made wad to build an basketball practice facility before and indoor football practice facility. Only UTEP would be that stupid. We need to immediately announce a capital fundraising campaign to build an indoor facility. If you are going to recruit kids to the end of the Earth you better have an indoor facility. Especially since most of their high schools have one.

I don't know how many of you have seen the renderings for Stull's Sun Bowl South end zone renovation. The renovation of the South endzone would have been a game changer and turned the Sun Bowl into a really modern stadium. Those plans should be dusted off. There are at least four donors I know who have private jets that are at UTEP's disposal when they need them. Senter should be on one now going around the country visiting our most prominent donors. In short order we need to announce we are embarking on facility upgrades and have the first financial commitments.
Ideally, you should actually have a strategic plan with actual goals and benchmarks and visions before setting out to fund something. I haven't been asked to provide any forward looking input, have you?

Reactions: Rot
Best case it to rebuild CUSA as best we can and get those exit fees. We can't let all those millions of dollars get away. Hopefully Senter is burning up the phone lines bribing teams to join. After the exit money is spent, it'll be a new situation.

If the exit fees do materialize, how would CUSA distribute them? As simple as 18 mil split 8 ways (2.25 mil each) or does CUSA take its cut and each remaining school get 2 mil, for example?

Reactions: groundrounds
I'll say it again. See if Idaho is interested in jumping back to FBS. Idaho is a rival of Montana and plays a trophy game with them and would be a natural travel partner. See if Montana would be interested in jumping to FBS. If Idaho and Montana jump, maybe Montana State would follow. UTEP and NMSU would be travel partners. There are the five teams in the Mountain Time Zone for the "mountain" division of CUSA.

When you have an "undesirable" location like UTEP you have to have elite facilities. I've said it for 15 years one of the dumbest decisions ever made wad to build an basketball practice facility before and indoor football practice facility. Only UTEP would be that stupid. We need to immediately announce a capital fundraising campaign to build an indoor facility. If you are going to recruit kids to the end of the Earth you better have an indoor facility. Especially since most of their high schools have one.

I don't know how many of you have seen the renderings for Stull's Sun Bowl South end zone renovation. The renovation of the South endzone would have been a game changer and turned the Sun Bowl into a really modern stadium. Those plans should be dusted off. There are at least four donors I know who have private jets that are at UTEP's disposal when they need them. Senter should be on one now going around the country visiting our most prominent donors. In short order we need to announce we are embarking on facility upgrades and have the first financial commitments.
Is he capable of doing so? Honest question, for those who have interacted with him.

Reactions: TxRdKiller
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT