Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dimel

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Senter

Votes: 7 24.1%
  • None

Votes: 2 6.9%

• Total voters
I gave them all nicknames. Lol. Anyway let’s take a poll. Who should be fired?
If the new UTEP prez has a solid AD in mind, fire senter and give him or her full authority to clean house. The new AD would have to be someone that understood that athletics should win and be entertaining. Someone smart enough to offer incentives but keep coaches on a short leash... win soon or you're gone. Also, our new UTEP prez has to know how to access the right people to supply the funds for all this.

I chose all 3. However, all 3 are still salvageable.

SENTER - F——— I was happy he was made AD, but hiring Dismel really took the wind out of his sails. Plus his ticket price increases are ridiculous.

Dismel - F—————— Worst hire ever

Terry - D+ I could only imagine how bad his team would have been last year without Bryson. Next 2 years look bleak.

Reactions: JCorona
Kugler started and now Dimel is killing the program and now with this pandemic it just got expedited. Senter is going to BS El Paso come late summer and say all is fine because whatever, which most will know is not true.

This might not be a popular opinion and I don't even feel completely comfortable saying it, but when I look at only the Freshman and Sophomores on the football roster, I think a case can be made that Dimel has possibly built some type of foundation for the future.
I will be clear, his year 2 performance was poor, it was undisciplined, and it was a missed opportunity due to the easy schedule. Only 1 FBS win in his first two years should not be easily forgotten and whether his on-field coaching will be effective enough for a turn-around remains to be seen?, but I see some potential young playmakers on offense(Hankins and Eldridge at RB, Cowing and Workman at WR, some promising young guys on the O-line, and two young QB's who at least physically appear to have a lot of tools to work with. My hope is that either Dimel gets it together and becomes successful, or maybe this can be a Gary Nord-to-Mike Price situation, where the next coach who comes in will inherit a decent roster as it is turning into upper class men, which the previous coach spent years redshirting and building.

For these reasons, I will list Dimel last. For the reasons that NoWins has stated a couple of times, CRT can not be let go now, so he would be second. That leaves Senter as the first one to go, if we had to pick them in order.

Senter, Dimmel and the Terry in that order but 10 minutes apart.

Really though, the only guy I would fire right now is Senter. The coaches go after year 3 if same old crap. Gives the new AD some time to find new coaches and the coaches reasonable time in their 5 year contracts.

Reactions: MinerInWisconsin
This might not be a popular opinion and I don't even feel completely comfortable saying it, but when I look at only the Freshman and Sophomores on the football roster, I think a case can be made that Dimel has possibly built some type of foundation for the future.
I will be clear, his year 2 performance was poor, it was undisciplined, and it was a missed opportunity due to the easy schedule. Only 1 FBS win in his first two years should not be easily forgotten and whether his on-field coaching will be effective enough for a turn-around remains to be seen?, but I see some potential young playmakers on offense(Hankins and Eldridge at RB, Cowing and Workman at WR, some promising young guys on the O-line, and two young QB's who at least physically appear to have a lot of tools to work with.

You’re not totally off base. The problem with Dismel is that he had 4 games to play Redshirted players and he didn’t do that with many of them. He had Hardison run his crap offense that Locksley and Jones ran, instead of coming up with a small offensive playbook for that QB, which he recruited! As shitty as Kugler was, he never lost to a FCS school. Dismel lost his very first one and barely escaped one of the worst programs in FCS to win his only game last year.

I am not going to blame CRT on Senter. This is all on Terry for this current mass exodus and under achievement with good talent, but he did have a good resume and results. What else can Senter go off of?

I will blame Dimel on Senter because unlike Terry, Dimel's head coaching record was not good. He can recruit, but head coaching is abysmal.

I sent my third or fourth email to the new prez. Once again; no answer to my questions regarding accountability, explanations, expectations, any comments on the current status, etc.
Possibly some of you could join in. Where else can we go?

I am not going to blame CRT on Senter. This is all on Terry for this current mass exodus and under achievement with good talent, but he did have a good resume and results. What else can Senter go off of?

Senter hired him though. If the AD hires a coach that doesn’t work out, it’s usually on them too. Do you think any D1 school would have hired Bob Stull? Assuming he was younger and still wanted to be an AD?

Reactions: Autograph Boy
Fire Senter. Give the new AD a year to take stock.

Dimmel becomes fireable after next year. But I think he's done the worst job. Do something good. Play recruiting, bad playcalling, bad discipline. At least Kuglers team had discipline. You'd think these kids would have the self awareness to know they're awful and their only chance to win would be to play disciplined.

Reactions: axingfools1
Everyone saying the b-ball team had all this talent.... where?? You had Williams and then everyone else was pretty much awful until the final couple of weeks of the season.... again said a million times we had GOOD Athletes not good b-ball players...

Anyone think that some of these players leaving are being pushed out ?

Maybe. Why would anyone want a coach like that? CRT had Tarke and Archie come here to sit out a year, then told them to take a hike a year later? Unless Zion and Luke Garza are coming, it’s not a good look.

Again, I haven’t seen UTEP mentioned by any “big time” transfers.

Reactions: Autograph Boy
Well, Gilyard was pushed out, which still boggles my mind. Why would you push out your leading scorer? A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

I don't think Lathon was pushed out. Hawkins maybe, but he probably only needed a slight push. Of all the players who seem like they were being pushed out, I would put Efe at the top of the list, but so far he hasn't entered the transfer portal. Maybe he figures he'll get more playing time again with all these players leaving.

Last edited:
Everyone saying the b-ball team had all this talent.... where?? You had Williams and then everyone else was pretty much awful until the final couple of weeks of the season.... again said a million times we had GOOD Athletes not good b-ball players...

I think Boum has a chance to be a good player as well, once he finds some consistency on offense. His defense was solid as well. If he is paired with a true point guard, he will be that much better. I thought Verhoeven played well down the stretch. I don't see him as a starter level talent because of his offensive limitations, but he could be a valuable player on a good team. I'm not an Odigie fan, especially in a switching type defense, but I think he can provide some quality minutes against certain matchups. I did like Stroud's potential. Terry's coaching didn't do the team any favors, but in retrospect, I thought their record was a reflection of their basketball talent.

I think Boum has a chance to be a good player as well, once he finds some consistency on offense. His defense was solid as well. If he is paired with a true point guard, he will be that much better. I thought Verhoeven played well down the stretch. I don't see him as a starter level talent because of his offensive limitations, but he could be a valuable player on a good team. I'm not an Odigie fan, especially in a switching type defense, but I think he can provide some quality minutes against certain matchups. I did like Stroud's potential. Terry's coaching didn't do the team any favors, but in retrospect, I thought their record was a reflection of their basketball talent.

and I agree on boum... think he will be a solid player for us if he sticks around

Very well said.

Fire Senter. Give the new AD a year to take stock.

Dimmel becomes fireable after next year. But I think he's done the worst job. Do something good. Play recruiting, bad playcalling, bad discipline. At least Kuglers team had discipline. You'd think these kids would have the self awareness to know they're awful and their only chance to win would be to play disciplined.

I think I almost fainted when I read that Kugler's team had discipline

I think I almost fainted when I read that Kugler's team had discipline
His first three seasons, they definitely did, on and off the field. Kugler brought the graduation rates up and, dagnabbit, his players were going to play to his system, come hell or high water. (There was a bowl game, even!)

I don't really know what to say about his last season and a half. Whatever "magic" he had was gone by that point. If he lost discipline in his personal life, I'm not sure how well he could enforce discipline in his professional life, and I'll leave it at that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT