ADVERTISEMENT

Senter is MIA

I just emailed Terry. Anxious to see if he answers or not and if so is it a canned answer. Don't normally bite my nails, but.....

Reactions: Taco1977
I don’t know what answers you guys are expecting. I admire your passion for UTEP that you feel compelled to e-mail coaches and athletic directors to tell them they’re doing their job wrong. I agree that they aren’t doing a very good job at the moment but there’s no way they will admit it to anyone, especially over email.

They need to have confirmation that we all know that they are incompetent. What would you propose?

I don’t know what answers you guys are expecting. I admire your passion for UTEP that you feel compelled to e-mail coaches and athletic directors to tell them they’re doing their job wrong. I agree that they aren’t doing a very good job at the moment but there’s no way they will admit it to anyone, especially over email.

Exactly. Unless you’re a big time/long time season ticket holder, your opinion means NOTHING. Even with those ticket holders he’s not going to write you back telling you he’s planning to get rid of the coach.

Just don’t give this clown any more of your money!

They need to have confirmation that we all know that they are incompetent. What would you propose?

If you want to make a change we’re all probably better off making our voices heard with our wallets. That either means you stop supporting UTEP Athletics, or you are compelled to give more money in hopes they can fire coaches and bring in bigger names.

Exactly. Unless you’re a big time/long time season ticket holder, your opinion means NOTHING. Even with those ticket holders he’s not going to write you back telling you he’s planning to get rid of the coach.

Just don’t give this clown any more of your money!
If that’s true, and it very well may be, why would he waste his time inviting and meeting with a fan to further explain his position and his decisions? He didn’t need to throw that invite out there. Especially to someone whose opinion means nothing.

Why would he take that time? What does he have to gain by doing so? Not to mention the time it has taken to respond during the 4-5 back and forth conversations we’ve had. As busy as an FBS AD should be, it would be easier to just not answer me than to try and placate me. He HAS to realize that by now.

Reactions: Lil_Train
If that’s true, and it very well may be, why would he waste his time inviting and meeting with a fan to further explain his position and his decisions? He didn’t need to throw that invite out there. Especially to someone whose opinion means nothing.

Why would he take that time? What does he have to gain by doing so? Not to mention the time it has taken to respond during the 4-5 back and forth conversations we’ve had. As busy as an FBS AD should be, it would be easier to just not answer me than to try and placate me. He HAS to realize that by now.

I get everyone’s frustration, but at the same time Senter and the coaches can’t take everyone’s opinion seriously, do you know what I mean? Even successful athletes and coaches have people tell them they suck day in and day out. If you don’t like the direction it’s going I have no problem with anyone voicing their opinion, but I can’t imagine anyone would read an e-mail and go “You know what? You’re right... I should fire Terry.... he does suck? What was I thinking?” That’s almost as bad as people trying to tag celebrities on twitter as if they’re going to get a response.

On the flip side, he is trying to “win you back” to a EPMAD person and not a detractor. I do not know how you identified yourself to him, nor does it really matter. We do not know how many emails he gets from fans or how many he gets for “more important things”. I would hope he’s not spending his whole day responding to fan emails.

Have you set a date/time for your meeting? I’m sure he will do it when it’s best for him and not for you. Especially if you’re from out of town, I wouldn’t guarantee your meeting happening. I know he’s offered to meet almost any detractor just like yourself. It would be interesting to know how many he’s met with.

Do you think he will actually tell you anything? No, of course not. Do you think he will say “good point” when you talk about Terry’s mediocre progress here? He will not badmouth any coach or player and probably even ex-players and coaches. Everyone is a walking mouth, he’s not going to trust you (or anyone of us) with real info or insight.

If you want to see a show and listen to the same crap he’s already said publicly in person, than go for it. I’m sure he’ll be nice and might even pay for your coffee or whatever. I just wouldn’t expect you to walk away with the same sense of accomplishment after talking to a teacher, or regular businessman.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
I get everyone’s frustration, but at the same time Senter and the coaches can’t take everyone’s opinion seriously, do you know what I mean? Even successful athletes and coaches have people tell them they suck day in and day out. If you don’t like the direction it’s going I have no problem with anyone voicing their opinion, but I can’t imagine anyone would read an e-mail and go “You know what? You’re right... I should fire Terry.... he does suck? What was I thinking?” That’s almost as bad as people trying to tag celebrities on twitter as if they’re going to get a response.

Thats right. You could have a bunch of facts and figures of why Terry should be fired, he’s not going to do it.

I get everyone’s frustration, but at the same time Senter and the coaches can’t take everyone’s opinion seriously, do you know what I mean? Even successful athletes and coaches have people tell them they suck day in and day out. If you don’t like the direction it’s going I have no problem with anyone voicing their opinion, but I can’t imagine anyone would read an e-mail and go “You know what? You’re right... I should fire Terry.... he does suck? What was I thinking?”
For the record, my opinions encompass all of about 5% of the content of the message(s) I’ve exchanged with Senter. A couple of those opinions have been harsh, however they are minimal percentage wise in comparison to the overall communication. You might have a little insight about my first email to him and his response to my inquiry about CRT’s contract extension. That’s it.

I’m not so ego centric to think my opinions matter much to anyone other than my wife, kids, extended family and my circle of friends...and even then, it’s iffy at best at times. As they say, opinions are like assho...

To the emboldened statement you made...that’s my curiosity. He’s revealed a whole lot more than I’m willing to say here. Not sure where you got the idea that I’m looking for confirmation from Senter in regard to my own opinion in regard to the jobs CRT and CDD are doing.

Again, it’s my questions, not my perspective, that I seek clarification to. While I’ve received a few pat responses to some of the questions I’ve asked, most require more of an individualized answer. That’s been intentional. He’s been willing to approach those questions, even if somewhat diplomatically. Obviously he has to.

Instead of thinking you know what Senter might and might not divulge, maybe you should reach out to him. You might just be surprised.

Reactions: Lil_Train
On the flip side, he is trying to “win you back” to a EPMAD person and not a detractor. I do not know how you identified yourself to him, nor does it really matter. We do not know how many emails he gets from fans or how many he gets for “more important things”. I would hope he’s not spending his whole day responding to fan emails.

Have you set a date/time for your meeting? I’m sure he will do it when it’s best for him and not for you. Especially if you’re from out of town, I wouldn’t guarantee your meeting happening. I know he’s offered to meet almost any detractor just like yourself. It would be interesting to know how many he’s met with.

Do you think he will actually tell you anything? No, of course not. Do you think he will say “good point” when you talk about Terry’s mediocre progress here? He will not badmouth any coach or player and probably even ex-players and coaches. Everyone is a walking mouth, he’s not going to trust you (or anyone of us) with real info or insight.

If you want to see a show and listen to the same crap he’s already said publicly in person, than go for it. I’m sure he’ll be nice and might even pay for your coffee or whatever. I just wouldn’t expect you to walk away with the same sense of accomplishment after talking to a teacher, or regular businessman.
Your assumptions are your deterrent. Just like I told 8106, if you dropped them, asked some honest questions with some persistence, you might hear some things that aren’t just the common rhetoric the general public hears. Something tells me that you’re convinced you already think you know what’s what, though. To each their own. I won’t spend time ad nauseam trying to convince you of anything.

And just so that things are not misconstrued, I’m not backing his justifications up, just his willingness to become a little more transparent as questions are asked with persistence.
Anyway...it’s all good.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
Your assumptions are your deterrent. Just like I told 8106, if you dropped them, asked some honest questions with some persistence, you might hear some things that aren’t just the common rhetoric the general public hears. Something tells me that you’re convinced you already think you know what’s what, though. To each their own. I won’t spend time ad nauseam trying to convince you of anything.

And just so that things are not misconstrued, I’m not backing his justifications up, just his willingness to become a little more transparent as questions are asked with persistence.
Anyway...it’s all good.

Its just common sense. An AD at any D1 school isn’t going to meet with normal fans and give them inside information. As you would not tell a co-worker who wasn’t your own very close personal friend, inside information about another co-workers pending dismissal or salary.

Its just common sense. An AD at any D1 school isn’t going to meet with normal fans and give them inside information. As you would not tell a co-worker who wasn’t your own very close personal friend, inside information about another co-workers pending dismissal or salary.

While I agree, as that’s the diplomacy I referred to, it’s surprising how slippery that slope can be. Sometimes it’s just as easy to read between the lines as it is to read the actual lines.

I leave room for the possibility that’s by design and very intentional. Maybe I’m wrong.

I keep asking myself why he’s answering my questions 5 emails into a conversation that has spanned over a 4 week period.

Last edited:
Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
While I agree, as that’s the diplomacy I referred to, it’s surprising how slippery that slope can be. Sometimes it’s just as easy to read between the lines as it is to read the actual lines.

I leave room for the possibility that’s by design and very intentional. Maybe I’m wrong.

I keep asking myself why he’s answering my questions 5 emails into a conversation that has spanned over a 4 week period.

Like I said earlier, I hope you get something out of your meeting and you can see past the cheerleading car salesman, he’s paid to be. Hopefully it’s worthwhile to you.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
Like I said earlier, I hope you get something out of your meeting and you can see past the cheerleading car salesman, he’s paid to be. Hopefully it’s worthwhile to you.
C’mon mannnn! I might have a bit more enthusiasm to my repertoire than you, but you gotta know by now I don’t buy into any of the cheerleading or car salesmanship when it’s devoid of wins and success. Whether I take the guy up on his offer to meet in person or not, the conversation up to this point has been worth it.

I met Senter last year at the Houston basketball game. Real cool cat. He approached me and gave thanks for supporting the Miners on the road. Imo he seems like a person that will listen and care what you have to say.

I walked by Stull my entire life at every home football and basketball game and never once even got a glance back.

I met Senter last year at the Houston basketball game. Real cool cat. He approached me and gave thanks for supporting the Miners on the road. Imo he seems like a person that will listen and care what you have to say.

I walked by Stull my entire life at every home football and basketball game and never once even got a glance back.

I started donating t UTEP Athletics when he got hired and he called me personally to thank me and for that I respect him. Community engagement is the most important thing for UTEP and I do agree that there are improvements that need to be made but I also understand that with COVID it’s all just turned into a mess.

I started donating t UTEP Athletics when he got hired and he called me personally to thank me and for that I respect him. Community engagement is the most important thing for UTEP and I do agree that there are improvements that need to be made but I also understand that with COVID it’s all just turned into a mess.

COVID has nothing to do with winning and losing. Last year, Terry only made the tournament because he won 4 games versus the other 3 worst teams in CUSA. Of course he lost in the first round game.

This year, he’s still losing winnable games and none of his players opted out for the season. Maybe without Beinemy and Agnew getting eligible, the season is probably worse. Would you feel any different if we had a few more wins over Florida A&M and Idaho St?

COVID has nothing to do with winning and losing. Last year, Terry only made the tournament because he won 4 games versus the other 3 worst teams in CUSA. Of course he lost in the first round game.

This year, he’s still losing winnable games and none of his players opted out for the season. Maybe without Beinemy and Agnew getting eligible, the season is probably worse. Would you feel any different if we had a few more wins over Florida A&M and Idaho St?
EUXoUH6WkAE5mj3.jpg

Reactions: Cube Jack
Make comments based on facts, is that so hard? For example you said:

"COVID has nothing to do with winning and losing"

Run that by Jans and Martin and let us know what they say?

Until then Grimace, you will be taking with the seriousness of a bu%& plug.

Can’t win or lose if you don’t play. Please continue on with your NMSU obsession

Can’t win or lose if you don’t play. Please continue on with your NMSU obsession
Huh? Dumf%^$, I want NMSU to stay a FBS school. The UTEP/NMSU rivalry is a good thing. You all are are serious financial jeopardy and your AD is working liking a mad man to keep it a going concern traveling the country hitting up wealthy alums that are willing to help and stupid fans like you are not doing a damn thing. If the SEC cancels the two games you all have, your program is toast.

To get back on track... Senter may be friendlier than Stull, but he's been equally useless. And that was before Covid. Now it's just a convenient excuse.

I hated Stull, and yeah he was a prick, but he was better at his job, imo. Pretty sad that he was checked out the last few years and we're no better off now or pre-Covid than we were then.

Reactions: JCorona
To get back on track... Senter may be friendlier than Stull, but he's been equally useless. And that was before Covid. Now it's just a convenient excuse.

I hated Stull, and yeah he was a prick, but he was better at his job, imo. Pretty sad that he was checked out the last few years and we're no better off now or pre-Covid than we were then.

It’s hard to argue that. But you have to think that Senter will still stay as AD. Can you let an AD hire only 1 FB coach and basketball coach? I‘m interested to know how long he is contracted for at UTEP.

It’s hard to argue that. But you have to think that Senter will still stay as AD. Can you let an AD hire only 1 FB coach and basketball coach? I‘m interested to know how long he is contracted for at UTEP.

If I was a brand new president... and taking stock of the shit show in my athletic department... and knowing that the next round of realignment is imminent... I don't see how Senter can be allowed to make any more hires.

Oddly, I think there's more of a case for Dimel being less of a failure than Terry. Not to say I want to extend him; just an observation. Plus, UTEP should always be able to choose from a better pool of candidates in basketball anyway.

To illustrate how covid affects wins and losses. Nmsu has definitely been affected by covid and its showing in the scoreboards.

I wasn’t even talking about them. 8106 was bringing up COVID and Senter’s community engagement or whatever. Nobody would be giving two craps about it if Dimel and Terry were successful. They lose more than they win. COVID isn’t to blame for their losses. Every school is dealing with it in one way or another.

Reactions: utep-piggy
If I was a brand new president... and taking stock of the shit show in my athletic department... and knowing that the next round of realignment is imminent... I don't see how Senter can be allowed to make any more hires.

Oddly, I think there's more of a case for Dimel being less of a failure than Terry. Not to say I want to extend him; just an observation. Plus, UTEP should always be able to choose from a better pool of candidates in basketball anyway.

Yes, as it doesn’t take 4 or 5 years to turn a basketball program around. Even Scott Drew was able to turn a bottom feeder program with a murder scandal around in 5 years. What kind of results would UTEP have if Floyd had covered up a murder of one of his players on his way out?

Reactions: utep-piggy

Dimel has won one conference in three years he's the bigger failure by far.

In basketball we have unrealistic expectations based on continued inflation of our tradition. We have done very little for the last 3 decades only making 3 tourneys. If you don't build on tradition it dies. Whatever tradition we had is long dead. The reality is like football we haven't proven we can consistently win in modern basketball. We play in a one bid league where the regular season is irrelevant. We face the issues recruiting to El Paso we face in football. Something that people forget is that when we were good in the 80's there were very few schools that gave a shit about basketball. Look at all the Texas schools. Nobody except Houston really cared about hoops. Even Texas wasn't really dialed in. We were an attractive option to recruits because we were one of the schools that cared and we played in a multi bid league. If we won 20 games we went the tourney. Now we could win 28 and have to play in the NIT. We've been on rapid descent since the early 90s. I want us to win I'm every sport. However if we keep trying to inflate our tradition and beat a square peg into a round hole we're going to keep digging this program deeper in the hole. It's got to be burnt down and rebuilt.

In basketball we have unrealistic expectations based on continued inflation of our tradition. We have done very little for the last 3 decades only making 3 tourneys. If you don't build on tradition it dies. Whatever tradition we had is long dead. The reality is like football we haven't proven we can consistently win in modern basketball. We play in a one bid league where the regular season is irrelevant. We face the issues recruiting to El Paso we face in football. Something that people forget is that when we were good in the 80's there were very few schools that gave a shit about basketball. Look at all the Texas schools. Nobody except Houston really cared about hoops. Even Texas wasn't really dialed in. We were an attractive option to recruits because we were one of the schools that cared and we played in a multi bid league. If we won 20 games we went the tourney. Now we could win 28 and have to play in the NIT. We've been on rapid descent since the early 90s. I want us to win I'm every sport. However if we keep trying to inflate our tradition and beat a square peg into a round hole we're going to keep digging this program deeper in the hole. It's got to be burnt down and rebuilt.

Please. You’re ridiculous. Nobody on here is expecting another national title or sweet 16s. Take a look at CUSA, and tell me UTEP shouldn’t be a Top 6 team pretty much every year. It’s not too much to ask to be competing for the CUSA title every year. UTEP doesn’t have a small budget or play in a dumpy arena. It’s embarrassing to barely make the conference tournament if at all.

It’s not unrealistic to expect UTEP to make the NCAAs once every 4 or 5 years, at least get a regular season championship here and there. 1966, the 80s, and 1992 have nothing to do with current expectations. It’s about budget and competition.

Reactions: Dmanminer

Basically agree with your message, but maybe you'll agree that "expectations for results" have come nowhere close to being worth a $750k salary. There's hundreds of candidates out there that could beat his record for half that price tag.
In contrast to what you have stated; Terry's acceptance of the job was accompanied by references to our tradition and his desire to build on it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT