ADVERTISEMENT

Senter needs to hurry up

here are other jobs that are currently open besides Utep.
Idk if any of these schools would go after the same coaches UTEP is going after.
Maybe Cincinnati and Portland State??

Arizona
Cincinnati
Eastern Michigan
Delaware State
IUPUI
UMBC
Portland State
Western Carolina
Bethune Cookman

Idk if any of these schools would go after the same coaches UTEP is going after.

Arizona
Cincinnati
Eastern Michigan
Delaware State
IUPUI
UMBC
Portland State
Western Carolina
Bethune Cookman
If UTEP and Portland St are going for the same coach, we’re a lot lower on the totem pole than we could ever imagine.

5 finalists interview in Dallas tomorrow per Bloomquist. So I wonder how many there were total? If tomorrow is the last day for interviews then we should have our new coach by early next week!

Reactions: kickballpro

Arizona
Cincinnati
Eastern Michigan
Delaware State
IUPUI
UMBC
Portland State
Western Carolina
Bethune Cookman
Maybe Cincy, AZ is definitely looking for a higher level and others are a tier below

Reactions: Rot
Maybe Cincy, AZ is definitely looking for a higher level and others are a tier below

Cincy and Zona can take a coach from Uteps Tier and then Utep will have competition .

i also left out

Central Michigan
UC Riverside

idk if any of those schools could compete with UTEP??

Cincy and Arizona are Tier 1 jobs.
UTEP and Central Michigan and Eastern Michigan are Tier four jobs.
The rest of those schools are Tier 5 jobs.

Name some schools that are Tier 2 and Tier 3 jobs.
Tier two would very good power jobs that don't quite have the appeal of tier 1 schools: examples:
Florida State, Georgia Tech, Georgetown, Creighton, Oklahoma, USC, Wisconsin, Houston, SMU, Washington, Gonzaga Memphis etc

Tier three are power schools with little tradition and top mid majors who play in multi bid leagues:

The bottom of the AAC ECU, Tulane. Big East schools like DePaul. BUY and St Mary's from the WCC, UNM, San Diego State UNLV, Nevada from the MWC, Northwestern, Clemson and a some other power schools. etc

Tier four is made up of the remaining g5 conference schools and top half of mid major league.

Tier five is the bottom ten to twelve conferences.

Gonzaga and Houston are tier 2?
Houston honestly is tier 1. I would switch them with Cincy. Gonzaga is tier two until we see if their sucess can be sustained without Few. I think they will continue to be successful when Few hangs its up, I just don't know if they will keep the same level of success they have now.

Cincy and Arizona are Tier 1 jobs.
UTEP and Central Michigan and Eastern Michigan are Tier four jobs.
The rest of those schools are Tier 5 jobs.
I would argue that Cincy is definitely tier 2 especially now that their in the AAC.

UTEP is a better job than ECU, DePaul and others.
It's definitely not a better job than DePaul. Their new facilities are the nicest in the Big East. Both are better than UTEP because they play in power conferences. Win 20 games in the Big East or AAC and you're probably in the tourney. UTEP is in a one bid league. You can win 27 games and if you don't win the conference tourney you ain't going to the tourney. Our attendance is at historically low levels that's not counting this year with limited attendance. It's a tough place to win.

Reactions: develman
It's definitely not a better job than DePaul. Their new facilities are the nicest in the Big East. Both are better than UTEP because they play in power conferences. Win 20 games in the Big East of AAC and you're probably in the tourney. UTEP is in a one bid league. You can win 27 games and if you don't win the conference tourney you ain't going to the tourney. Our attendance is at historically low levels that's not counting this year with limited attendance. It's a tough place to win.
DePaul has been to the NCAA tournament twice since 1992 and not since 2004. That is not a better job than UTEP. They’re the bottom dweller of the Big East

DePaul has been to the NCAA tournament twice since 1992 and not since 2004. That is not a better job than UTEP. They’re the bottom dweller of the Big East
Yeah and theh invested millions in facilities. They are the bottom dweller of the big east. We are the bottom dweller of cusa. They get the edge. With their facilities, they will be back to the tourney soon.

UTEP took a coach from Mountain West so i think UTEP is with the ECus and the Tulanes.

Utep is a better job than

NMSU
UTSA
North Texas
Rice
probably better than all of C-USA

Doesnt UTEP pay the highest in CUSA??

Yeah and theh invested millions in facilities. They are the bottom dweller of the big east. We are the bottom dweller of cusa. They get the edge. With their facilities, they will be back to the tourney soon.
For basketball, our facilities are near the top of CUSA. (Football might be a different story.)

I don't know where our training tables stack up, based on Aaron Jones. That might be the low-hanging fruit.

Houston honestly is tier 1. I would switch them with Cincy. Gonzaga is tier two until we see if their sucess can be sustained without Few. I think they will continue to be successful when Few hangs its up, I just don't know if they will keep the same level of success they have now.

where does UTEP job rank in Texas??

I think its

1. Texas
2. Baylor
3. Texas A&M
4. Houston
5. Texas Tech
6. SMU
7. UTEP
8. TCU
9. North Texas
10 Rice

DePaul has finished in last place in the Big East the last 5 seasons. How many times has UTEP finished in last place the last 30 years? They haven’t had a winning conference record since the 06-07 season. UTEP is a better job.

I don't get into the Tier thing because as of now, Senter has positives going into his favor that he can use and I'm sure the finalists want:

1) No state income tax. We don't talk about it but it is a big deal. El Paso is feeding off transition to Texas as Americans flock to the Lone Star State.
2) Ready and very hungry UTEP fan base.
3) Pay is not the top end for G of 5 salaries but not far below a coach like Dave Padgett at Louisville (pre covid)https://www.boydsbets.com/highest-paid-coaches-college-basketball/
4) Good facilities
5) History
6) AD who let's coaches travel all over to get recruits.
7) Friendly local media. Didn't always used to be this way but other than Kap at ESPN600 and Bloomquist every once in a while, the local media plays underhanded softball instead of fast hard ball.
8) Mike Price said it best years ago at his hiring and UTEP still does "Make you feel like your being paid over a million" a year.
9)No other four year colleges for competition. The Chihuahuas (play spring/summer) and Locomotive FC are it.
10) The weather. This should be higher but depending where the coach is coming from the winters are less severe and shorter. The brunt of summer can suck with 100 plus heat at times but severe freezes are not like Lubbock and El Paso is not in Tornado alley.

Don't really put much credence in the Tier system, Here are a few salary's from schools supposedly at UTEP's level Central Michigan 300,000 and Eastern Michigan 315,000, Western Kentucky 600,000 and Southern Illinois 400,000. All these schools play in smaller arenas, have lower base pay for assistants and only one averages more than Utep attendance wise, pre covid. Overall athletic budget is much lower as well. Can't see how the Utep job is on par with these schools.

NCAA basketball coaching salaries: The mid-major contract ...

www.midmajormadness.com

Not that this is much better, but .500 in conference is not a bottom dweller it's middle of the pack. Including last year Utep is a middle of the pack conference USA team and with Floyd was more in the top 6. This doesn't make things much better, but just to clarify Utep hasn't been a bottom dweller in the CUSA, save a couple of bad years.

Don't really put much credence in the Tier system, Here are a few salary's from schools supposedly at UTEP's level Central Michigan 300,000 and Eastern Michigan 315,000, Western Kentucky 600,000 and Southern Illinois 400,000. All these schools play in smaller arenas, have lower base pay for assistants and only one averages more than Utep attendance wise, pre covid. Overall athletic budget is much lower as well. Can't see how the Utep job is on par with these schools.

NCAA basketball coaching salaries: The mid-major contract ...

www.midmajormadness.com

interesting Lindsey Hunter only makes $75k at Mississippi Valley State . and out of that list UTEP is tied 2nd with CSU only behind Gonzaga. Where is UTEP getting all this money from??

Not that this is much better, but .500 in conference is not a bottom dweller it's middle of the pack. Including last year Utep is a middle of the pack conference USA team and with Floyd was more in the top 6. This doesn't make things much better, but just to clarify Utep hasn't been a bottom dweller in the CUSA, save a couple of bad years.
I think it's safe to say there should be an asterisk next to those .500 records. This year we had two extra home games and would have been swept in Boca Raton. Last year we were in the bottom pod and benefited from one of the easiest conference schedules ever. Imo we've been hanging around in the bottom four in conference for four years now.

Jeez how long is this gonna take? It's been like 10 days already. UNC had their coach quicker. I think 80% of us are good with Golding or Tang right?
To be fair the main candidate was busy coaching a game 6 days ago. I still think he won the job on Friday.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT