ADVERTISEMENT

Senter

UTEPfan1966

MI VIP
Apr 26, 2016
While the jury is still out, I have to say I am liking what I am seeing. On the surface, it appears the Dimel hire just might have slipped under our radar. Most of us were like, wtf is that? But we seem to like the look now.

What I saw last night was what has really impressed me. Senter was up in the stands for the better part of the game. He was introducing himself and chatting with fans. Sometimes he would sit with a couple for 10-15 minutes. To me, this speaks volumes about this man. He originally said this would involve the entire community, and it seems he meant it. Can you imagine Bob talking to Joe Fan?

While we shall see how he does in time, I like the start....

I sincerely hope that Mr Senter has been working on a solution for our train wreck. He has witnessed the shameful bloodshed that the rest of us have been suffering through. The only difference is that he doesn't have a reference point to make him aware of the good old days and therefore why we have such high expectations. As I stated in another post...this is not Miner basketball.
What I am not clear on is the timing of what to expect for next year. All viable candidates for the coaching job are presently active and will be through March. How much time is there for the new coach to recruit and sign new players, consider what existing players, if any will be staying? Don't think it's acceptable for Senter to be in touch with anyone during the season, but I hope like hell that he's already done so.

Reactions: jdubb66
He's done a very good job of reaching out to the donors outside of El Paso. He will be judged on the Dimel hire. The basketball hire will be less important. I hated the Dimel hire but I've been impressed by his staff and recruiting. I'm cautiously optimistic it will work.

Reactions: El Paso 777
He's done a very good job of reaching out to the donors outside of El Paso. He will be judged on the Dimel hire. The basketball hire will be less important. I hated the Dimel hire but I've been impressed by his staff and recruiting. I'm cautiously optimistic it will work.
Hey life or anyone that knows, other than Foster, does UTEP have any other boosters form the fossil fuel industry?

I had an opportunity to have a conversation with Mr Senter during one of the earlier Basketball games at the Don. Very approachable man, and he heard my concerns. Happy to say I even exchanged an email from him. Glad I had the opportunity and believe what he said about listening and taking consideration from the fans and public. If any of you have the opportunity to chat with him, I hope you do. We all got our wish (Stull exit). Good Luck to Mr Senter and the best for MINER Nation.

I have a hard time understanding the logic of putting football over basketball. I understand football theoretically brings in more money, but let's be real we're never going to be anything close to a Powerhouse or competitive in any meaningful way. There's too many positions to recruit for in football and UTEP just isn't going to pull in that kind of talent and depth.

Basketball is the only thing we have even a sliver of tradition in, and it's the only sport we legitimately have a chance to compete in on the national stage.

Maybe I'm different, but I have no interest in watching us throw money at a sport just so we can reach .500 and potentially play in some meaningless bowl that nobody cares about...

I have a hard time understanding the logic of putting football over basketball. I understand football theoretically brings in more money, but let's be real we're never going to be anything close to a Powerhouse or competitive in any meaningful way. There's too many positions to recruit for in football and UTEP just isn't going to pull in that kind of talent and depth.

Basketball is the only thing we have even a sliver of tradition in, and it's the only sport we legitimately have a chance to compete in on the national stage.

Maybe I'm different, but I have no interest in watching us throw money at a sport just so we can reach .500 and potentially play in some meaningless bowl that nobody cares about...

My thinking is completely different from yours, but I respect your opinion. I don't get putting much money into basketball. It doesn't get you anywhere. It's very hard for me to get excited about basketball anymore.The regular season is meaningless, the conference isn't even in the top 20 in rpi most years its low major basketball. If you succeed at high level in basketball you become NMSU. A perennial tourney team with a high seed in the dance. That did them nothing for them. They can't even find a conference because nobody cares about. Their bowl game did more for them than twenty straight tourney trips would do.

Football is an event. Yes it's g5 but it's still an event. There's nothing like the pageantry of college football. When you're winning its easy to market. Its an event on Saturdays. Even if you are winning in basketball its not easy to market. You win 15 straight games thats great but if you lose one in the conference tourney its all for not. The season starts. Football is what gets attention,applications and donations. I would much rather be UCF or Boise State than Belmont of NMSU. I would happily good football program for a good basketball program.

There is absolutely no proof of reason we could be good at basketball. Whatever, tradition and overstated history we had is dead and gone. If you don't build on tradition it's dies, ours is dead. College basketball is completely different now from the early nineties. There are twice as many college hoops programs and even bigger divide between the power and non power conferences than there is in football.

I'm sick and tired of watching schools pass us by in football, while we idlely stand by doing nothing. Meanwhile we pour money into a sport that has got us nowhere. We have to go all in on football. If we are going to keep focusing we might as well just join the Southland. After 66 we've averaged two two tourney appearances a decade. It's time to think bigger. It's time to go all in on football.

My thinking is completely different from yours, but I respect your opinion. I don't get putting much money into basketball. It doesn't get you anywhere. It's very hard for me to get excited about basketball anymore.The regular season is meaningless, the conference isn't even in the top 20 in rpi most years its low major basketball. If you succeed at high level in basketball you become NMSU. A perennial tourney team with a high seed in the dance. That did them nothing for them. They can't even find a conference because nobody cares about. Their bowl game did more for them than twenty straight tourney trips would do.

Football is an event. Yes it's g5 but it's still an event. There's nothing like the pageantry of college football. When you're winning its easy to market. Its an event on Saturdays. Even if you are winning in basketball its not easy to market. You win 15 straight games thats great but if you lose one in the conference tourney its all for not. The season starts. Football is what gets attention,applications and donations. I would much rather be UCF or Boise State than Belmont of NMSU. I would happily good football program for a good basketball program.

There is absolutely no proof of reason we could be good at basketball. Whatever, tradition and overstated history we had is dead and gone. If you don't build on tradition it's dies, ours is dead. College basketball is completely different now from the early nineties. There are twice as many college hoops programs and even bigger divide between the power and non power conferences than there is in football.

I'm sick and tired of watching schools pass us by in football, while we idlely stand by doing nothing. Meanwhile we pour money into a sport that has got us nowhere. We have to go all in on football. If we are going to keep focusing we might as well just join the Southland. After 66 we've averaged two two tourney appearances a decade. It's time to think bigger. It's time to go all in on football.

amen brother ... lets THINK BIG ...

It's a free society and we have choices. I have always been a college basketball addict and always will be. Never had a connection with football at UTEP because there was nothing to connect with. I prefer steak to pork or chicken, but I can adapt. Success at anything at this point would be uplifting.

Well put!

Reactions: Sports Talk Carlos
Senter will drag us out of this slump and make us great again. I can feel it.
Hope you're right Ran. I think it's safe to say that Jim Senter has the biggest challenge in the North American continent; maybe in the world. Replace two quitters and replace them with "hope to be" winners against all odds. I still think basketball will be tougher for him, because of the time limitations and the fact that there may be no players left over from this year, commitments have been withdrawn and no time to work toward next year.

Next year is probably going to be tough for both men's teams. I am excited to see who our coach is going to be. Unless its Phil, lol.
Better not be Phil. Need a complete new cast of coaches, new philosophy and at least a couple of new " impact " players...might have to be jucos.

Hope you're right Ran. I think it's safe to say that Jim Senter has the biggest challenge in the North American continent; maybe in the world. Replace two quitters and replace them with "hope to be" winners against all odds. I still think basketball will be tougher for him, because of the time limitations and the fact that there may be no players left over from this year, commitments have been withdrawn and no time to work toward next year.
Ouch! Sad but true. I don't think it will take basketball long with the right coach.

So far It appears that Jim Senter has done well for his first line of business in the Football world. Only time will tell how well we have come. Now with Basketball, I strongly believe that he will want to put HIS stamp on the program, and bring in his own guy. Make a splash and get the program running. The thought of a safe hire (Phil Johnson) seems to be over. All and all, we all got our Christmas gift of both head coaches an AD gone. Good time to be a MINER !!!! And yes, very good dialog.

At this point, it should a foregone conclusion that Johnson will not be even be a candidate for the position; and really should never have been a realistic consideration. Senter would be foolish to give a second thought to a coach that has been a big part of a program that has undercheived for the better part of seven years. Unfortunately, I see a minimum of two years for the program to have a chance to be competitive. I think there will be multiple player defections from a team that will likely struggle to even make the conference tourney this year. It is going to be a huge struggle next year in my opinion.

I think it is safe to say that Phil has absolutely no chance at landing the job at the end of the season. He has done nothing with this team. He will get a courtesy interview at the end of the season and he will be gone.

Show me the MONEY! Win 7 games and the town goes crazy. Easier to pay the bills this way, no brainer

Enjoy the difference of options without all the personal garbage.
Let’s just be good at both football and basketball ( even after today’s game women’s basketball is on the upswing).

Reactions: axingfools1
Rifle team definitely under performing. The loss to Ohio State sucks. Hope we can at least beat the powerhouse that is Alaska Fairbanks.

Reactions: El Paso 777
Rifle team definitely under performing. The loss to Ohio State sucks. Hope we can at least beat the powerhouse that is Alaska Fairbanks.

Alaska Fairbanks will be tough. They have small bore All-American Sagan Maddalena. Not sure if we have an answer for her. Which means that our only hope is for our other shooters to step up and post career best.

I generally respect and appreciate your posts more than most, and have nothing against your perspective. As you said, we simply see things differently.

I completely lost interest in football after the conf realignment. That basically sealed the deal for programs like UTEP. Football can be an event, but when the outcome of the event means absolutely nothing, then it's hard for me to get excited. Not only that, but I feel the chances of UTEP becoming a "UCF" or "Boise St" are close to zero. Boise St is a unicorn of sorts, and UCF is simply a University that is primed for big time college athletics. I live in Orlando, and trust me when I say it's not hard to recruit to the city or the University. The University and city sell themselves, especially for a young kid looking to live the college experience.

Basketball is different. Sure, there are more teams and less of a chance to play in the tournament these days, but it's still a chance. All we have to do is build a solid team (easier than football with only 13 schollies), and we have a chance to determine our own fate on the court the same as everyone else. And yes, our tradition is long gone, but those banners in the Don do still show a recruit that it's possible to win here. Try showing a recruit our football tradition, then convince him it's possible to do big things here. That's a tough sell, even to a diehard fan like me...

MUGA.jpg

@jimsenter

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT