ADVERTISEMENT

Seth Mouser

FiliUTEP

MI Miner Maniac
Feb 1, 2010
Do you guys think Utep will be able to hold on to him?? He seems like the perfect QB. He is 6'6 and looks like a top tier QB. I think if Gavin has a good year this year he is gone. He will transfer to a bigger school or he is going pro. The QB battle after Gavin will be interesting.

I guess I was out-of-touch and missed whatever happened with him. I assume he is committed for next year. Is that it?

He only has one offer (UTEP) per rivals and he has 2 stars. If he has a big senior season he may be poached from UTEP but as of now not much demand for him.

During the Mike Price era we were recruiting a linebacker who was also being recruited by SMU. The player was rated at three stars as long as SMU was after him, but when he signed with UTEP he immediately dropped to two stars. It seems to be a given that no player worth anything signs with the Miners. Oh well.

During the Mike Price era we were recruiting a linebacker who was also being recruited by SMU. The player was rated at three stars as long as SMU was after him, but when he signed with UTEP he immediately dropped to two stars. It seems to be a given that no player worth anything signs with the Miners. Oh well.
I take offense to that! I signed with the Miners back in 1981 had offers from Texas Tech, Baylor, Arizona State, UNM, Iowa, Air Force and NMSU! I signed with UTEP because they let me play basketball my first year! Didn't see a lot of playing time on the court, but was a 4 year starter for the football team and signed with the Kansas City Chiefs! But didn't workout had bad knees and cut career short! Moral of the story...UTEP gets players and then it is up to the player to excel! Got my degree so I did take advantage of free school!🤙

I take offense to that! I signed with the Miners back in 1981 had offers from Texas Tech, Baylor, Arizona State, UNM, Iowa, Air Force and NMSU! I signed with UTEP because they let me play basketball my first year! Didn't see a lot of playing time on the court, but was a 4 year starter for the football team and signed with the Kansas City Chiefs! But didn't workout had bad knees and cut career short! Moral of the story...UTEP gets players and then it is up to the player to excel! Got my degree so I did take advantage of free school!🤙
Who are you?? How were the facilities back then to now??

I was pointing out the player from the Price era as an example of how others seem to see UTEP, not how I see the school.

Reactions: MINER51
There is no comparison in facilities now and back then! We had a weight room at the coaches office next to what is called The Don Haskins Center, or we had weights in the visitors locker room at the Sun Bowl where we lifted during the season. No Larry K. Durham Center. We stayed in the athletic dorm called Burgess Hall. I am from a little town in New Mexico my initials are BT as I prefer not to give you my whole name. I graduated from UTEP in 1985 we didn't win a lot of games, but those were some of the best years of my life! Met my wife there and made life long friends. Bill Michaels recruited me, but he was fired 3 games into my Freshman year and UTEP hired Bill Yung. I was told by new coaching staff "if you want to remain a starter in football I needed to quit basketball!" I went straight football and kept my starting job, but missed out on 3 WAC Championship rings and 3 NCAA Tournament bids as our basketball team dominated the WAC in the 1980's. The year I was on the basketball team we finished 2nd in the WAC to Wyoming and beat them twice, but did not receive a post season bid🙄

I wore #51 during my playing days at UTEP hence my handle MINER51

Last edited:
There is no comparison in facilities now and back then! We had a weight room at the coaches office next to what is called The Don Haskins Center, or we had weights in the visitors locker room at the Sun Bowl where we lifted during the season. No Larry K. Durham Center. We stayed in the athletic dorm called Burgess Hall. I am from a little town in New Mexico my initials are BT as I prefer not to give you my whole name. I graduated from UTEP in 1985 we didn't win a lot of games, but those were some of the best years of my life! Met my wife there and made life long friends. Bill Michaels recruited me, but he was fired 3 games into my Freshman year and UTEP hired Bill Yung. I was told by new coaching staff "if you want to remain a starter in football I needed to quit basketball!" I went straight football and kept my starting job, but missed out on 3 WAC Championship rings and 3 NCAA Tournament bids as our basketball team dominated the WAC in the 1980's. The year I was on the basketball team we finished 2nd in the WAC to Wyoming and beat them twice, but did not receive a post season bid🙄

Nice I knew former and current players read this site. You're the first player to actually come out and say you're former player. That's a tough decision I think you made the right decision. Do you think you wouldve got some playing time on the Basketball team? I'm guessing you were a big? With football you were a starter and you got to play with Chiefs. The Basketball teams were loaded .

Nice I knew former and current players read this site. You're the first player to actually come out and say you're former player. That's a tough decision I think you made the right decision. Do you think you wouldve got some playing time on the Basketball team? I'm guessing you were a big? With football you were a starter and you got to play with Chiefs. The Basketball teams were loaded .
I made the right decision Coach Haskins was hard on us but I have got some good stories about him the year I was on basketball team! I am 6' 7" tall Probably would have been a mop up player when we got big leads! I played left guard for the football team and also long snapped on punts and extra points. My Sophomore year in 1982 we played 3 top 10 teams that year Washington, PAC-10 and Rose Bowl Champs, SMU (Pony Express Days) SWC Champs and Cotton Bowl Champs finished #2 in the Nation and Arizona State, Fiesta Bowl Champs so as you can see it was a tough schedule we played SMU at home. Our basketball team was loaded with talent in 1983 they played Indiana at home and beat them 65-61 and Indiana was ranked #3 in the Nation! That UTEP team got ranked as high as #4 in the Nation! People were camping out days in advance at the ticket center to get tickets! Sold out Special Events Center for every home game! Miner basketball was hottest ticket in town! Great memories and great players

Last edited:
I made the right decision Coach Haskins was hard on us but I have got some good stories about him the year I was on basketball team! I am 6' 7" tall Probably would have been a mop up player when we got big leads! I played left guard for the football team and also long snapped on punts and extra points. My Sophomore year in 1982 we played 3 top 10 teams that year Washington, PAC-10 and Rose Bowl Champs, SMU (Pony Express Days) SWC Champs and Cotton Bowl Champs finished #2 in the Nation and Arizona State, Fiesta Bowl Champs so as you can see it was a tough schedule we played SMU at home. Our basketball team was loaded with talent in 1983 they played Indiana at home and beat them 65-61 and Indiana was ranked #3 in the Nation! That UTEP team got ranked as high as #4 in the Nation! People were camping out days in advance at the ticket center to get tickets! Sold out Special Events Center for every home game! Miner basketball was hottest ticket in town! Great memories and great players
Can you share a Haskins story??

Reactions: JCorona
It was 1982 and we were flying to Hawaii for a basketball game and the stewardess come through cabin about half way through a 5 hour flight and offer complementary wine or champagne. Haskins was setting up in first class and we were back in coach, well the cart with wine and champagne goes all the way back where the upper class men were sitting and cart stayed back there! Haskins gets up from first class and walks all the way back to where the older players were sitting and stays back there the rest of the flight! When we land Haskins calls a team meeting and starts cussing us out "out of all my players I catch drinking it wasn't my Freshmen, it was my upper class man! Hell I can drink anyone of you Son of a Bit@hes under the table, but now isn't the time you are representing UTEP!" Funny as hell seeing his face as he walked by where the Freshman were sitting on the plane😁

We were playing at Laramie Wyoming and it was the last game in their old gym! The Wyoming student section sat right behind our bench and when they announced our starting five the students turned their backs to us and started reading newspapers and when done the wadded up the newspapers and throw them at us! We ended up beating Wyoming and had to travel back to Denver to catch airplane back to El Paso. Tim Floyd and Jim Forbes job was to drive 2 Van's with the players on road trips and Coach Haskins and Doctor Dickey the team Doctor rode in a separate car. We were at the gate getting our boarding passes and Coach Haskins and Dickey were not there yet! The team trainer was worried something had happened to them and they were going to miss the flight! All the sudden they were spotted walking down the terminal and Coach Haskins was wearing a hat. As he got closer you could read the hat and it said Wyoming Shit Kickers! This was at the old Stapleton Airport in Denver a very busy hub! Coach Haskins and Doctor Dickey were feeling no pain as they wobbled onto the plane! It was common that Coach and Dr. Dickey liked to hit the sauce! Dr Dickey would set down at the end of the bench and yell at the referees for a bad call and I would get drunk just of the smell when he yelled!😁

....Wyoming Shit Kickers! .... 😄
cheers-frank-sinatra.gif

It was 1982 and we were flying to Hawaii for a basketball game and the stewardess come through cabin about half way through a 5 hour flight and offer complementary wine or champagne. Haskins was setting up in first class and we were back in coach, well the cart with wine and champagne goes all the way back where the upper class men were sitting and cart stayed back there! Haskins gets up from first class and walks all the way back to where the older players were sitting and stays back there the rest of the flight! When we land Haskins calls a team meeting and starts cussing us out "out of all my players I catch drinking it wasn't my Freshmen, it was my upper class man! Hell I can drink anyone of you Son of a Bit@hes under the table, but now isn't the time you are representing UTEP!" Funny as hell seeing his face as he walked by where the Freshman were sitting on the plane😁
I bet he wasn't in a pleasant mood?

Thu, Jan 14, 1982REG@HawaiiWACL495275L 1Neal S. Blaisdell Center

On December 10, 1983 Indiana played UTEP in El Paso and beat the Hoosiers 65-61 and at the time Indiana was ranked #3 in the Nation. Special Events Center wad sold out! Before the game Coach Haskins and Bobby Knight came out of the locker room wearing each others signature coaching attire. Haskins had on Bobby Knights red sweater and Knight had on Haskins tie and jacket! Funny and the Miners winning made it all the better! I couldn't get a ticket to the game, but Eddie Mullins the SID at UTEP let me sit on press row and all I had to do was pass out stats sheets to all the media covering the game! Lot of fun!

Click on link and this is the picture of them coming out of the dressing rooms!

On December 10, 1983 Indiana played UTEP in El Paso and beat the Hoosiers 65-61 and at the time Indiana was ranked #3 in the Nation. Special Events Center wad sold out! Before the game Coach Haskins and Bobby Knight came out of the locker room wearing each others signature coaching attire. Haskins had on Bobby Knights red sweater and Knight had on Haskins tie and jacket! Funny and the Miners winning made it all the better! I couldn't get a ticket to the game, but Eddie Mullins the SID at UTEP let me sit on press row and all I had to do was pass out stats sheets to all the media covering the game! Lot of fun!

Click on link and this is the picture of them coming out of the dressing rooms!
Keep em coming. I’m loving the old stories

Keep em coming. I’m loving the old stories
We were playing at UTAH and the officiating was horrible! Haskins always had a rolled up program and when he got pissed at a call he would throw the program on the ground and it would fly all over the place, even on the court of play! Yet Haskins never got a technical! Well he got so pissed at UTAH they missed a foul against us and then called a BS call on one of our players, as the referee came to the scores table to report the foul Haskins got a hold of the basketball and went to the free throw line on our side and took a shot! The referee asked him what he was doing and Haskins told him "I am taking the free throw you should have given us on the missed call! Well he got a technical, but didn't get thrown out of the game! The referee's were that intimidated by Coach Haskins 😁

These stories deserve their own thread. Keep em coming!

These stories deserve their own thread. Keep em coming!
UTEP and BYU hated each other in basketball they were big rivals...in 1985 UTEP was playing BYU at home and it was a tight game. Kent Lockhart was a guard and before the game in the locker room his was bouncing a basketball and kept saying how much he hated Scott Scenik a guard for BYU, well it was a tight game and UTEP ended up winning in 3 overtimes! One of the BYU players was fouled and was at the line shooting free throws he misses the second shot and we get the rebound and BYU fouls right away! Lockhart was talking to the referee about one of the BYU players when all the sudden he hauls off and punches Scott Schenik they had to pull Lockhart off of him and Lockhart starts trying to fight the whole BYU team! He even punches on of the refs trying to get him under control! Haskins was upset with Lockhart. Haskins and Anderson the BYU coach went out on the floor trying to break the fight up!

Here is a link to the fight! Lockhart is #25

I’ll add my thanks for retelling these stories and recalling great memories. It doesn’t seem possible that time has passed so quickly. This 61-year old appreciated reading every word of this thread and recalling many of these games. Thanks 51!

GO MINERS!

I know who you are. Even met you one time. If I remember correctly a group of us went to watch you play bb in high school

Last edited:
1981 UTEP vs San Diego State I am playing center #51 and I am an 18 year old Freshman! The 2 guards #75 Kevin Belcher played for the New York Giants and #65 Carlos Scott played for the St. Louis Cardinals! We had talent on the team, but SDSU kicked our ass! I also am snapping on punts and extra points

Last edited:
Reactions: T-6 Miner
1981 UTEP vs San Diego State I am playing center #51 and I am an 18 year old Freshman! The 2 guards #75 Kevin Belcher played for the New York Giants and #65 Carlos Scott played for the St. Louis Cardinals! We had talent on the team, but SDSU kicked our ass! I also am snapping on punts and extra points

So as someone who lived Miner football, you’re probably have an insight into UTEP athletics that none of us have: What was the issue with the football team turning the corner in the 80s? I obviously don’t expect you to throw people under the bus, but what was it coaching, money, depth?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT