ADVERTISEMENT

Short week and must win against Rice!

nattybry

MI Miner Maniac
Jul 7, 2003
I was out n about with some EP friends in town for the Cowboys game. We were all huddled around my phone watching the game on ESPN Plus. This game came down to 3 plays. Dropped TD pass by TE, BS pass interference call that reversed a TD and blown coverage on 75 yard TD. Other than that UTEP played solid on Defense. Offense for both teams was getting dominated by the defenses for the most part. These two teams were evenly matched and those plays made the difference. Rice this Thursday is an Absolute must win if there's any Bowl Hopes obviously. I'll be at the UTSA game, however I don't feel confident we'll even be close. Quick turn around Prediction for Thursday
UTEP wins on a late FG

Miners 27
The Hoo's 24

Reactions: FeralFelidae
UTEP will take the lead and Rice comes storming back. Both teams are in the top 25 in Time of Possession.

Other than the open and public Kugler bromance with former Rice coach David Bailiff, that was borderline bizarre and infuriating at times, these two teams really don't care for each other. The games are chippy grudge matches.

CUSA has a log jam for most who are hoping for bowl eligibility. Who wants it more?

You all think the officiating was bad the last two games? Hah! The home cooking will be bad against UTEP. "I (almost) guarantee it!"

Score: Pick'em

Penalties: UTEP 12 Rice 3

With so many UTEP players hailing from the Houston area, I hope our guys are pumped to play before their families and friends.

UTEP 31 - Rice 24

My humble prediction is that the Miners will be the clearly more athletic and talented team, but a combination of bone headed penalties, poor play calling and a most inopportune turnover will give the Owls a close win. UTEP will control the clock and run up and down the field at will between the twenties. The red zone offense will be almost nonexistent. If the Miners score more than 13 points, it means the defense got a score. I hope I get proved wrong, but I doubt I will.

The game against MTSU didn't come down to a few plays. The offense played like crap against a bad defense. Every FBS school that has played MTSU this year put up more points against them then we did. It's a broken record we have a qb who can't throw guys open. That was a game against a really bad defense who dominated us physically. It's completely inexcusable.

I was out n about with some EP friends in town for the Cowboys game. We were all huddled around my phone watching the game on ESPN Plus. This game came down to 3 plays. Dropped TD pass by TE, BS pass interference call that reversed a TD and blown coverage on 75 yard TD. Other than that UTEP played solid on Defense. Offense for both teams was getting dominated by the defenses for the most part. These two teams were evenly matched and those plays made the difference. Rice this Thursday is an Absolute must win if there's any Bowl Hopes obviously. I'll be at the UTSA game, however I don't feel confident we'll even be close. Quick turn around Prediction for Thursday
UTEP wins on a late FG

Miners 27
The Hoo's 24
My opinions of the game are exactly the same.

Reactions: nattybry
UTEP played bad last week and given the see-saw nature of this team I think they’ll come out motivated to get the win. They’ve shown they could beat Rice even in the worst of times so I don’t see why it should be any different. BUT with that being said it’s totally plausible they pull another choke job.
UTEP - 23
Rice - 13

You want a really weird prediction? Here's one. The way this team has played this year, they lose to both Rice and FIU, two teams they should beat but won't. Then they turn around and beat UTSA, a team that that would spank them like red headed stepchildren in a normal reality. Who can tell what this team will do?

The game against MTSU didn't come down to a few plays. The offense played like crap against a bad defense. Every FBS school that has played MTSU this year put up more points against them then we did. It's a broken record we have a qb who can't throw guys open. That was a game against a really bad defense who dominated us physically. It's completely inexcusable.
Regardless of your opinion of how we should've performed against them offensively. Winning or losing as we did, came down to those 3 plays. They also have a better offense than they showed and for whatever reason both offensives struggled.

Regardless of your opinion of how we should've performed against them offensively. Winning or losing as we did, came down to those 3 plays. They also have a better offense than they showed and for whatever reason both offensives struggled.
While I agree that a few plays go our way maybe we win but the point is with the way our D has played most of the year if our offense would've got their heads out of their ass we should have beaten MTSU. MTSU came into the game giving up all kinds of yards and 32 points a game.
Again UTEP's offense hasn't been good at all it's a wonder UTEP has won 4 games (mainly because of the D) through 9 games UTEP is averaging an electrifying 17.8 points a game, During our coach's 5th year with a 3-year starter at QB.

Every game comes down to a few plays. Those three plays would've in no way guaranteed victory. It would have made the game more competitive but not guaranteed victory.

What we need is a "BIG Miner Moment" this Saturday with a pretty win ... Like we did against Boise State. I don't think a 3 point win will carry us to win next week against FIU.
What we need is a 21 point win to quiet down all the non-believers that say we can't win 6 games.
So, let see a big, pretty win like 45 to 17...

• Haha
Reactions: denverutep
I agree with Develman and Life. This was crushing loss because MTSU D, well, sucks. However, they make TO's happen and they got one (once again, Hardison staring down his primary receiver and gave Hardison fits the whole first half).

Rice is going to do a lot of (defensive) trickery. They play tricks like they did on the last one at their place: "you didn't pass the covid test UTEP" when that was not true after those players took the more thorough test that showed they actually didn't! Dimel did present them with empirical evidence, but yet Chicken shit Rice....yes, CHICKEN SHIT RICE...said nope! Nope! you have to go home! We question Dimel's play calling and Senter's effectiveness, but during Covid, Senter and Dimel did an excellent job keeping the team safe and covid free, IMO. They were one of the tops at the FBS level especially when El Paso was in the red zone with Covid.

I don't know what Rice's beef is with UTEP but when we play them in football or basketball they get ugly.

I want UTEP to pound them into the turf; however, Rice may pull this one out. I hope Awatt and Hankins get over two hundred yard rushing and Smith drops 150 on them.

Sorry. I get hot when we play these cheap shot artists.

Reactions: nattybry
If the team could get as fired up as utep2step, we're going to fry that Rice on television. But who knows which UTEP will show up.

Reactions: SAMINERGIRL
The game is on CBS Sports Network. I have Spectrum and it's not included in my package. I don't know what the fee is, but I can't imagine
Subscribing to watch two lousy teams .
Is there a free channel?

What we need is a "BIG Miner Moment" this Saturday with a pretty win ... Like we did against Boise State. I don't think a 3 point win will carry us to win next week against FIU.
What we need is a 21 point win to quiet down all the non-believers that say we can't win 6 games.
So, let see a big, pretty win like 45 to 17...

Ok cheerleader.

Reactions: utep-piggy
This is all I want to see UTEP do to Rice on Thursday night...
u6atra1g5u9fnb0p8bwh.gif

Reactions: Lil_Train
The game is on CBS Sports Network. I have Spectrum and it's not included in my package. I don't know what the fee is, but I can't imagine
Subscribing to watch two lousy teams .
Is there a free channel?
Spectrum Cable channel 315

Opening Line:
UTEP -1.5 (48.5)
Now:
Rice -3.5 (47.5)
Rice 27
UTEP 24

During post game Teicher lobbed the question "you only have two or three days to prepare for Rice?' Dimel "We just practice for two days but we already threw in some prep for Rice...".

The Charlotte game was a one off so to speak for Rice. I don't expect that tonight but I expect a strong showing from Awatt and Hankins and I expect Smith to hit between 90-100 tonight.

However, UTEP can't score more than 24 at best. Hardison is good for one INT. He just can't stop staring down his primary.

UTEP 21
Rice 24 in Overtime.

Try Channel 315. I’m getting and don’t have that great of a package with them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT