ADVERTISEMENT

Sleeping Giant?

nattybry

MI Miner Maniac
Jul 7, 2003
So the Sleeping Giant phrase has been thrown around lately when it comes to Utep Football. I can see that referring to Basketball, but idk if Football was ever awake lol. I like the positive attitude though and the rhetoric coming from our AD and HC. I actually think it should be sold to recruits and show them pix and video of the sun Bowl packed like in 2000 and how this city will back a winning program. This has been really tough on Miner fans with both sports and I hope next year is a better year and then the following year we see our football team in a bowl and basketball team in the NCAA. Again I don't know if this Giant was ever not sleeping, but Damn It, It's Time to Wake Up!!!!

This could be real big.
We all know that El Paso loves winning (who doesn't).
The difference is that El Paso is very limited on sporting events.
So UTEP should take advantage and put the best product available.
It will pay off big time. the Sun Bowl and the Don will be packed once
we start winning again. It's a no-brainer.

Please lets get rid of that slogan "We can do more with less."

Go Miners...

I appreciate anything that is not just a retread of what every other school is doing. The final marketing campaign under Stull was "We are Miners!", which was just a lazy use of a slogan that almost every other college has already used. Hell, Marshall had an entire movie made about them 12 years ago called "We are Marshall". That marketing campaign was just lazy, not original, unimaginative, and it summarized a lot about what was wrong with our marketing efforts in Stull's final decade.

SMU has used "Pony Up" forever, the Aggies used "Aggies Up", and then the Miners of course followed with "Picks Up". I don't necessarily hate Picks Up, but it reinforces another example of how our marketing slogans often just do what other schools are already doing.

I would happily take anything at UTEP that is remotely original. When Price first arrived, UTEP simply used "Believe" as it's slogan and I am sure that wasn't 100% original, but it was a little more unique and it helped establish a mentality that things were going to be turning around for the here!

The sleeping giant might be a phrase used by others, but I don't have a problem with our coaches using a phrase that gives recruits an impression or energy that there is more out here than just a 0-12 football team. Also our coaches are throwing out a lot of phrases right now, they aren't just only sticking with the giant thing only. Here is a list of newer phrases that our new coaches have used at least once on Twitter:

#P1ck8Up
#KeepSwinging(with Pick Axe GIF).
#Who18Next
#TheBag(with UTEP backpack).
#PickAxePosse(Canales tweeted this).
#Who'sNext
#EPMAD(Senter uses this one).

It's different than just the standard #GoMiners or #PicksUp, which were about the only 2 phrases that we ever saw a UTEP coach tweet out prior to this new coaching staff arriving.

Reactions: JCorona
Another phrase I’ve heard said by coaches and recruits is “change the culture.” I like that one and the recruits are buying into it.

Reactions: UTEPDefense
The latest tweet by our AD showed him with boosters who were flashing the "Hook 'Em Horns" sign. That or they are really into heavy metal music.

DTrDGLyU0AAZoeO.jpg

I love the phrase. Of course its easier said than done. Turning around a UTEP football program that has almost always been bad will be challenging, but I love their enthusiasm.

*The good thing is, as someone else has already pointed out, Dimel already has many recruiting connections and this staff is using their experience and enthusiasm to recruit.

Reactions: El Paso 777
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT