ADVERTISEMENT

So any details on Terrys contract?

Or maybe the El Paso Times could publish a story with the details. They wrote one for Price, Barbee, Kugler, and Floyd.

Reactions: minerfan_14
UTEP has revealed head men's basketball coach Rodney Terry is set to make $725,000 in base salary in his first year with the program, according to records obtained from UTEP through a public records request.

Dimel is making $700,000 in base pay in his first year with the team, according to UTEP.

These figures do not include potential bonuses for the coaches that are typically paid for winning rivalry games, winning championships, or hitting certain attendance figures.

Reactions: El Paso 1
UTEP has revealed head men's basketball coach Rodney Terry is set to make $725,000 in base salary in his first year with the program, according to records obtained from UTEP through a public records request.

Dimel is making $700,000 in base pay in his first year with the team, according to UTEP.

These figures do not include potential bonuses for the coaches that are typically paid for winning rivalry games, winning championships, or hitting certain attendance figures.

The original question was about a buy out. I couldn’t find anything other than the above on various news sites.

I’m sure he does have one (idk why at Fresno he didn’t) and I’m sure it’s signed unlike Billy G

LMAO If you want to know something you have to ask. That pertains to anything in life.

If El Paso local sports stations or El Paso Times want to hire me to ask one simple question ?? I will do it and they can fire me after i ask the question.

This hot roll that Terry and company are doing on the recruiting trail is not going unoticed. If national media is taking notice so is Texas, Texas A&M, and even bigger schools. I think if Terry makes any kind of improvement next year like say if Utep finishes in top 5. Schools will start knocking not in year 2 but next summer. I just hope this time Utep has a buy out and it should be expensive.

This hot roll that Terry and company are doing on the recruiting trail is not going unoticed. If national media is taking notice so is Texas, Texas A&M, and even bigger schools. I think if Terry makes any kind of improvement next year like say if Utep finishes in top 5. Schools will start knocking not in year 2 but next summer. I just hope this time Utep has a buy out and it should be expensive.

Great point! Texas and Texas A&M are probably steaming since Terry was able to get transfers from bball powerhouses NJIT and USF. USF did win championships in the 50s, a mere 10 years before UTEP’s!

It’s hard to believe UTEP was even able to land a coach that was marginally successful at Fresno St too! No doubt UTEP should lock up Terry for as long as possible. So far he has won ZERO fvcking games!

I too am worried that he might be scooped up by an evil Power school! Screw him for maybe wanting more money and securing his family’s financial well-being! Scumbag!

Great point! Texas and Texas A&M are probably steaming since Terry was able to get transfers from bball powerhouses NJIT and USF. USF did win championships in the 50s, a mere 10 years before UTEP’s!

It’s hard to believe UTEP was even able to land a coach that was marginally successful at Fresno St too! No doubt UTEP should lock up Terry for as long as possible. So far he has won ZERO fvcking games!

I too am worried that he might be scooped up by an evil Power school! Screw him for maybe wanting more money and securing his family’s financial well-being! Scumbag!
Once again you keep bringing up NJIT like it’s something bad. Multiple Big 12 and power teams wanted Tarke. Terry beat them all out. For once give UTEP and his staff credit.

Once again you keep bringing up NJIT like it’s something bad. Multiple Big 12 and power teams wanted Tarke. Terry beat them all out. For once give UTEP and his staff credit.

So if you tell someone you’ve “heard” from them, they were offering scholarships? I would expect a lot of schools to be interested in a player that did “well” at a D1 school.

I am in no way saying Tarke and Boum are bad players and not worthy of a spot here. Just saying, UT and TAMU don’t give a shit. Maryland probably wanted Tarke, again he’s a proven D1 player. Do you know about Maryland’s recruiting class? Maybe Tarke fit better than a “reach” on another prospect. It doesn’t mean that Tarke was the prized jewel of the class or that he would have seen significant time there.

So if you tell someone you’ve “heard” from them, they were offering scholarships? I would expect a lot of schools to be interested in a player that did “well” at a D1 school.

I am in no way saying Tarke and Boum are bad players and not worthy of a spot here. Just saying, UT and TAMU don’t give a shit. Maryland probably wanted Tarke, again he’s a proven D1 player. Do you know about Maryland’s recruiting class? Maybe Tarke fit better than a “reach” on another prospect. It doesn’t mean that Tarke was the prized jewel of the class or that he would have seen significant time there.
Maybe right now they don’t give a shit but if he starts winning they will. We’ve already lost a coach to A&M before so don’t act like they haven’t kept tabs on us. Hawkins was offered by Texas A&M he elected UTEP. Give Terry some time to win games here let him go into Big 12 recruiting hotbeds and win some more battles and I guarantee you one of the Big 12 Texas schools will take a hard look at him. Which is ultimately Terry’s goal to coach at a Texas power team.

They don’t need to keep tabs on us. This isn’t the 1950’s. They will know when UTEP is good and have a coach they’re interested in.

Let’s not get ahead of ourselves here. No games have been won or lost. No matter what the buyout is, if UT wants to take him, they will. Terry will not sign a deal with a ridiculous buyout and all Power schools will pay the buyout or negotiate something if he wants to leave.

No sense in getting panties in a bunch over something that is really insignificant anyway.

They don’t need to keep tabs on us. This isn’t the 1950’s. They will know when UTEP is good and have a coach they’re interested in.

Let’s not get ahead of ourselves here. No games have been won or lost. No matter what the buyout is, if UT wants to take him, they will. Terry will not sign a deal with a ridiculous buyout and all Power schools will pay the buyout or negotiate something if he wants to leave.

No sense in getting panties in a bunch over something that is really insignificant anyway.
Fili is making a legitimate question. Does Terry have a buyout clause signed. We lured him here because he didn’t have one at Fresno. That’s all we are saying. If they’re going to poach him we should at least be able to make some money off him to help us hire the next coach. Things can change very quickly. It took Billy and Doc less than two years to land a Big 12 job.

Reactions: FiliUTEP
I dont mind if Terry leaves . if he gets offered a better job he should take it. I just want Utep to get something in return. Its like NBA you dont let a free agent superstar just walk you better get something in return.

Reactions: UTEPy79
Fili is making a legitimate question. Does Terry have a buyout clause signed. We lured him here because he didn’t have one at Fresno. That’s all we are saying. If they’re going to poach him we should at least be able to make some money off him to help us hire the next coach. Things can change very quickly. It took Billy and Doc less than two years to land a Big 12 job.

How legitimate is it? Terry hasn’t won any games here and he’s just signed some players. Not like he signed Michael Porter Jr and DeAndre Auyton and has a Top 10 recruiting class coming in.

How legitimate is it? Terry hasn’t won any games here and he’s just signed some players. Not like he signed Michael Porter Jr and DeAndre Auyton and has a Top 10 recruiting class coming in.
And he hasn’t lost any games here either. I bet none of us were asking if Billy had signed his buyout clause after winning six games his first year here.

But you’re right smartest UTEP fan ever. None of this matters. If he’s successful just let him walk free and clear. It sounds like a good business move.

Reactions: axingfools1
And he hasn’t lost any games here either. I bet none of us were asking if Billy had signed his buyout clause after winning six games his first year here.

But you’re right smartest UTEP fan ever. None of this matters. If he’s successful just let him walk free and clear. It sounds like a good business move.

I didn’t say that, just saying it makes no difference right now. Maybe ask about a buyout when he wins games? What if he is worse than Floyd, what good did having a buyout have?

You guys know that you can't put a 1 Million Dollar buyout on a coach you pay 750,000 right? No agent worth a damn is going to allow a buyout of more than 50% of his clients base salary.

You guys know that you can't put a 1 Million Dollar buyout on a coach you pay 750,000 right? No agent worth a damn is going to allow a buyout of more than 50% of his clients base salary.

He is not making 750k. Didnt he he sign a 3 year deal? 750k ×3. + Bonuses. Thats like a 3million deal. So i dont think a 1million buy out is to much to ask. If its Kentucky or Texas a school like that with money raise it to 2million. But if its low key Major 1million is fine i guess.

If anything if im Senter i give him a raise. Tear up the old contract give him a raise and put a 1.5 million to 2million buy out.

If anything if im Senter i give him a raise. Tear up the old contract give him a raise and put a 1.5 million to 2million buy out.

You’re gonna give a guy a raise without coaching a game? Presumably with no other schools chasing?

Hope you don’t give out financial advice for a living.

Just the opposite in most cases. A school wants to cover the cost of hiring new coaches and if a coach is doing well, a power school wouldn't blink twice at a 1 or 2 million dollar buyout.

Reactions: UTEPfan1966
Just the opposite in most cases. A school wants to cover the cost of hiring new coaches and if a coach is doing well, a power school wouldn't blink twice at a 1 or 2 million dollar buyout.

Can you please list a coach that left a mid-major and their new Power school payed $1,000,000 or more to their old school?

Apples to Oranges. Xavier and Louisville are major schools. Kermit Davis’ buyout was $700,000. Not known how much of that Ole Miss had to pay.

I guess you believe there is a tree that grows money if you think that is going to happen. Senter needs to give Terry at least a 2 million dollar annual salary raise for him to even justify putting a 1.5 - 2 million dollar buy out in his contract. You can't just give Terry a 30k raise and throw in a 2 million $$$ buy out in his contract.

Reactions: EPTUTEP
I’d be happy if we could get Terry for a 500-700k buyout clause. That’s some good coin to help us attract the next coach.

Losing your coach to a bigger program is a good problem to have. Good chance the coach was moderately successful. Why don’t we wait until Terry coaches here before we’re concerned with buyouts and next coaches.

Losing your coach to a bigger program is a good problem to have. Good chance the coach was moderately successful. Why don’t we wait until Terry coaches here before we’re concerned with buyouts and next coaches.

The belief is that with this very solid recruiting class that Terry will be successful very quickly here. That is why some would like a solid buyout now. If he wins this year and next it will be too late to put the buyout in. I would hope the buyout would be in the 600-750k range and that it is already in the contract.

Xavier isn't a mid major? Since when? I missed that memo....

Honestly, I could see the buyout being at a million. It shows we want to keep him. He and his agent would easily sign because they will get paid regardless. Terry want the Horns job. If they come looking, he won't care what the buyout is, nor will anyone else.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT