ADVERTISEMENT

So what happened with Tang??

FiliUTEP

MI Miner Maniac
Feb 1, 2010
Who backed out?? Did Baylor offer more money?? Who has the inside scoop?? I know somebody here has the scoop .

Was Golding plan B??

Well, I know there were some posters on here that insisted that our next coach have NCAA head coaching experience (like Terry and Floyd, and unlike Gillispie and Barbee, when they took over here), which would rule out Tang.

Maybe one of those posters is a wealthy booster who decided to throw his weight around.

• Wow
Reactions: FarWestTexas
Well, I know there were some posters on here that insisted that our next coach have NCAA head coaching experience (like Terry and Floyd, and unlike Gillispie and Barbee, when they took over here), which would rule out Tang.

Maybe one of those posters is a wealthy booster who decided to throw his weight around.

Well I saw on the cusa message board someone said that Tim Floyd put a word for Golding. Its interesting Golding gave a job to an ex assistant of Billy G and Sadler.

Reactions: Prospero915
Well I saw on the cusa message board someone said that Tim Floyd put a word for Golding. Its interesting Golding gave a job to an ex assistant of Billy G and Sadler.
In that same interview that you asked about several weeks ago, Golding mentioned that Floyd did “put in a good word” for him.

I wonder this myself. Tang has been an assistant at Baylor for almost 20 years? Either he has no ambitions to ever be a head coach again, or Baylor is paying him way more than a mid-major would ever pay him as a head coach. Or maybe he just likes it in Waco. Who knows?

From what I understand he loves being in Waco and loves Baylor and working with Scott drew ... it would have to be the perfect fit for him to ever leave ....

Or maybe he just likes it in Waco. Who knows?

From what I understand he loves being in Waco

I can buy any reason but this one. I have not met a single person that loves Waco, people from Waco can't wait to leave Waco. The people I know from Baylor only went there for religious reasons or had no better scholarship options. I have hated every minute I have had to spend in Waco. I am all for having a Waco sized hole in great state of Texas and just kicking that city out of the state.

Reactions: utep2step
I can buy any reason but this one. I have not met a single person that loves Waco, people from Waco can't wait to leave Waco. The people I know from Baylor only went there for religious reasons or had no better scholarship options. I have hated every minute I have had to spend in Waco. I am all for having a Waco sized hole in great state of Texas and just kicking that city out of the state.
It sucks, but it's far from the worst place in the state. It's much more livable than shitholes like Abilene and Wichita Falls to name just a couple.

Many Texans say the same about El Paso.

Reactions: MinerFan79
Reflecting on Tang vs. Golding, I think Tang wouldn’t have stayed if he won. Golding might stay, but he might not win.

This was posted elsewhere re: Tang:

As crazy as it seems I went to HS with Tang. One of the reasons he got cut as a senior. But he was perhaps the worst basketball player I’ve ever seen. I don’t know how anybody could actually hire him for a HC gig. He’s as dirty as can be. He got the HS he coached before he went to Baylor banned. But with his faith etc Waco is perfect for him and he’s probably being content as a high paid assistant forever. if he went to UTEP he wouldn’t get paid much better and in 3-4 years looking for a new job.

This was posted elsewhere re: Tang:

As crazy as it seems I went to HS with Tang. One of the reasons he got cut as a senior. But he was perhaps the worst basketball player I’ve ever seen. I don’t know how anybody could actually hire him for a HC gig. He’s as dirty as can be. He got the HS he coached before he went to Baylor banned. But with his faith etc Waco is perfect for him and he’s probably being content as a high paid assistant forever. if he went to UTEP he wouldn’t get paid much better and in 3-4 years looking for a new job.
Hmm. Nothing worse than dirty Tang!

Not pointing fingers at Tang or any other current coaches at Baylor, but their history of running clean and "under the law" programs is appalling. Football, Basketball and their other programs have had very shady histories. This may have something to do with Tang not being considered. Coaches, Athletic directors and College Presidents all have contacts and loads of inside knowledge about programs that the fans and media don't have access too. Baylor has been able to survive these scandals because they are private and have loads of cash, Utep on the other hand has neither and they likely would not survive a Baylor level scandal. Utep may have been playing it safe.

Not pointing fingers at Tang or any other current coaches at Baylor, but their history of running clean and "under the law" programs is appalling. Football, Basketball and their other programs have had very shady histories. This may have something to do with Tang not being considered. Coaches, Athletic directors and College Presidents all have contacts and loads of inside knowledge about programs that the fans and media don't have access too. Baylor has been able to survive these scandals because they are private and have loads of cash, Utep on the other hand has neither and they likely would not survive a Baylor level scandal. Utep may have been playing it safe.
This basketball regime has never had one thing go against it, it shouldn’t get a bad rap for things that happened before them... they can’t control that and they have been here like 18 years without one thing so I think that argument is very dated

This basketball regime has never had one thing go against it, it shouldn’t get a bad rap for things that happened before them... they can’t control that and they have been here like 18 years without one thing so I think that argument is very dated
I think Mosquito acknowledged that it might not have anything to do with the current staff, but is pointing out that as an institution, Baylor has let atrocious things happen under it’s watch. I like Drew, and think he’s done miraculous things in regard to Baylor bb, think he runs a clean program, but I’d agree with Mosquito, the University itself seems to be less than faithful to the beliefs expressed on its “billboard”.

Well the Dave Bliss episode is still well remembered and although It occurred years ago still reflects on the program in the minds of decision makers. Again not pointing a finger at the current state of affairs at Baylor but these events do effect perceptions and do so over a long period of time, even if they are well forgotten in the minds of fans and media.

Reactions: develman
Well the Dave Bliss episode is still well remembered and although It occurred years ago still reflects on the program in the minds of decision makers. Again not pointing a finger at the current state of affairs at Baylor but these events do effect perceptions and do so over a long period of time, even if they are well forgotten in the minds of fans and media.
The quest to win at all costs becomes way more than the game itself.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
The quest to win at all costs becomes way more than the game itself.
There was a reason that I said I hoped that Baylor never wins the national championship. I would have much preferred that Texas Tech or Houston win the title before Baylor. It makes me sick that they were the next Texas team to win it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT